Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance

Options
  • 20-01-2018 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hey,
    Does anyone know if it's possible to get insured on a car that you don't own?
    The car is owned by my dad and he's not currently insured on it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

No, the owner of the car must be the policyholder

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

No, the owner of the car must be the policyholder

Or spouse/partner in case of some insurers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 zapper459

I would've assumed that at least third party and theft option would be available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

zapper459 wrote: »
    I would've assumed that at least third party and theft option would be available.

Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭edunne2010

Car Insurances are STILL GOING UP.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭trafficlight

When buying a used car is it possible to get quotations eventhough you haven't bought it yet. My reason being, if I am looking at a particular type of car and want to make sure my insurance wont be very expensive compared to a smaller car before buying it??

• Registered Users Posts: 81,891 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

When buying a used car is it possible to get quotations eventhough you haven't bought it yet. My reason being, if I am looking at a particular type of car and want to make sure my insurance wont be very expensive compared to a smaller car before buying it??

Yes your given a reference number for online quotes which you can use to then proceed to insure the car with. I would run a car history check prior to purchase to verify the car isn't a write off and as a result uninsurable. Some insurers will ask when you bought the car and may refuse cover on recently purchased oldish cars for fear of them being used for crash for cash claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭gandalfio

Is it possible to own two cars in your own name, and insure your partner as a named driver on the car which I have fully comp on(costing nothing extra on the premium) and allow the partner to drive the other car under third party extention?
    Otherwise, it's going to cost a fortune to get them insured outright with a policy in their own name.
    Any feedback much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 6 tiberium

gandalfio wrote: »
    Is it possible to own two cars in your own name, and insure your partner as a named driver on the car which I have fully comp on(costing nothing extra on the premium) and allow the partner to drive the other car under third party extention?
    Otherwise, it's going to cost a fortune to get them insured outright with a policy in their own name.
    Any feedback much appreciated

While I do not try to answer whether this is legal or not - so let's assume for a moment that you may be able to do that - the savings you envisage are not going to materialize!
    (Or saying differently the insurance companies here are way smarter than that!)

Even if you were a single person and you would have a genuine reason to insure two cars under your own name you will not get a bonus discount for the second car.
    The second car will start from 0 years bonus regardless how many years bonus you have accumulated for your first car.

Mind-boggling, isn't it?! :(

Advertisement