Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail New Timetable

Options
  • 19-01-2018 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭

Does anyone know when the new irish rail timetable will be out and what services will be increased

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

After the next round of industrial action. Drivers are not going to accept imposition of mentoring as currently planned.

10 minute DART and off peak / weekend PPT and Maynooth are the bulk of what'll be added. there is no capacity for peak services on other lines until more stock arrives (the refitted 2700s and possibly extended 22000s which could release some sets that currently run coupled)

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Ireland trains

Will there be less commuter trains to Bray and could irish rail run the out of service trains for passengers like I saw a ICR at Dun Laioghre platform 3 and they could run the train non-stop to pearse because it runs on that route anyway.
    Have Irish rail ordered more 22000 coaches

• Registered Users Posts: 10,682 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Will there be less commuter trains to Bray and could irish rail run the out of service trains for passengers like I saw a ICR at Dun Laioghre platform 3 and they could run the train non-stop to pearse because it runs on that route anyway.
    Have Irish rail ordered more 22000 coaches

Level of commuter trains probably won't change. No more 22000 order and the ICR in Dun Laioghre is only there for storage.

May/June was rumored for the next change but as said above that depends on if the driver training gets sorted by end of Feb/early March.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is still a chance of more 22000 centre cars being ordered but they won't arrive til 2020 at earliest if they are

But it wouldn't cost Irish Rail more money to let the out of service trains carry passengers.

• Advertisement

But it wouldn't cost Irish Rail more money to let the out of service trains carry passengers.

There are few if any out of service runnings and those that are are generally done because there is insufficient time to carry passengers. Running ahead of an express for instance. Would be useless carrying passengers in that case

A decade or so ago there were many more useful out of service runnings but these now carry passengers

But it wouldn't cost them any more and some passengers would use it because it would be fairly fast because it's an express.
    Like if there was a express train from where I live to pearse or Connolly I would definitely use it.

If it's running ahead of an express there is already an express for passengers to use.

Realistically any viable movements are already running in service

L1011 wrote: »
    There is still a chance of more 22000 centre cars being ordered but they won't arrive til 2020 at earliest if they are

Think they have dropped this plan since the by-mode announcement would more less free up a lot of sets in the future.

Will irish rail ever expand the PPT service to use for non GCD services like:
    Bray-Hazelhatch
    Cork-Connolly (like 1 train per day)
    Or Connolly to Portlaiose.
    Would it be possible for them to run services from Connolly/GCD to Heuston main platform's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

No, the NTA have now confirmed bi-mode is the only choice going forward, the bi-mode proposal was in relation to an alternative to the centre car project.

There was a meeting very recently about this in relation to the National Investment Plan review (to be published in March) between IE/NTA/DoF.

The NTA seem to love pointlessness. Balbriggan and bi-mode are as bad as each other

I think irish rail should order more 22000 centre coaches as well as the bi-mode trains but they need them quickly
    Not 2023

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Will irish rail ever expand the PPT service to use for non GCD services like:
    Bray-Hazelhatch
    Cork-Connolly (like 1 train per day)
    Or Connolly to Portlaiose.
    Would it be possible for them to run services from Connolly/GCD to Heuston main platform's

I would like a service from Dun Laoghaire toSallins, Newbridge & Kildare.

Hourly frequency would do nicely.

A peak service from Bray to Portlaiose would be very handy as you could connect to cork services.

The NTA seem to love pointlessness. Balbriggan and bi-mode are as bad as each other

Well it was for a former health minister.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Well it was for a former health minister.....

Balbriggan electrification was mooted long before Dr Reilly became Minister for Health.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

Like I said before, given the congestion on the northern line as it is, it wouldn't surprise me if Balbriggan is an extension of the Malahide DART and then there's a rebalancing of Balbriggan DART, Howth DART, and Drogheda commuter.

As the moment it is Howth DART, Malahide DART, Drogheda/Dundalk commuter and enterprise

After electrification to Balbriggan it will be (IMHO) Howth DART, Balbriggan DART, Drogheda/Dundalk commuter and enterprise .

tabbey wrote: »
    Balbriggan electrification was mooted long before Dr Reilly became Minister for Health.

I'm sure it was, however it was suddenly moved forward just before an election took place!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    I'm sure it was, however it was suddenly moved forward just before an election took place!!!

Just like Cullen (urgh...so Glad he's gone...) and Demsey (urgh...) re announced metro every time an election was coming up never quite building it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭coolperson05

A peak service from Bray to Portlaiose would be very handy as you could connect to cork services.

Yes! Or just a Bray to Maynooth peak morning service(s). South to North/West movements. Would make my life so much easier and get me off the Blackrock Bypass!

Any chance of some off peak services from Connolly to Heuston to operate as a shuttle for DART Dart and commuter services to the main intercity lines.
    It's ridicules, if I want to go from Bray to Cork I need to get 4 trains or 1 if i don't want to use the Luas.
    Any idea of what stations the off peak ppt service will go to (GCD-Newbridge?)

Would it be possible for irish rail to extend one of the commuter services from Dundalk/Drogheda/Majority to Bray as far as Greystones and store it in the siding until the evening.
    Also I think the new timetable will start on the 27th of May because you can't book past that date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Any chance of some off peak services from Connolly to Heuston to operate as a shuttle for DART Dart and commuter services to the main intercity lines.
    It's ridicules, if I want to go from Bray to Cork I need to get 4 trains or 1 if i don't want to use the Luas.
    Any idea of what stations the off peak ppt service will go to (GCD-Newbridge?)

And why would you not want to use the Luas. That would be like if I want to go from Romford to London Victoria say and saying I don't want to use the Tube. It sounds very silly IMO. As a public transport I would always go the quickest and most efficient way whether that be by bus, train or tram.

Also if did want to go from Bray to Hueston you could get the 145 bus anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Apologies for the slight off topic question. Is the 18:00 Dublin-Cork the only train in the evening that serves the full bistro menu?

Advertisement