Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Humanist celebrant T&Cs

Options
  • 19-01-2018 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi All,

Not sure if there is already a post on this, so apologies if there is.
    My partner and I are having a civil ceremony. We recently contacted a celebrant from the Humanist Association and were very pleased with everything she said and really liked her.
    She sent us a copy of the contract we've to sign and i'm just wondering if its standard.
    It states that if she doesn't show up, for any reason, neither her or the association are liable.
    I imagine this is the associations standard T&Cs and it would be the same for other celebrants.

Has anyone else signed a similar contract?
    Do we need to book a second celebrant just in case?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks!

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

We had to sign the same thing.

What do you mean your having a civil ceremony? Will the humanist ceremony not be a legally binding?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭rob w

Hi All,

Not sure if there is already a post on this, so apologies if there is.
    My partner and I are having a civil ceremony. We recently contacted a celebrant from the Humanist Association and were very pleased with everything she said and really liked her.
    She sent us a copy of the contract we've to sign and i'm just wondering if its standard.
    It states that if she doesn't show up, for any reason, neither her or the association are liable.
    I imagine this is the associations standard T&Cs and it would be the same for other celebrants.

Has anyone else signed a similar contract?
    Do we need to book a second celebrant just in case?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks!

Dave

Its just standard, they have to cover themselves should anything happen that they cant foresee.

We were recently informed that out celebrant will not be able to do our ceremony later this year due to ill health. The humanist society have since found us another celebrant to cover us in the meantime.

These things happen, I wouldnt worry about it and go booking a second celebrant....you are just booking them up unneccesarily and they are already in big demand!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

We had a Humanist wedding ceremony a few years ago and had the same clause. I understood the clause was in the unlikely event that the Celebrant was unable to do the ceremony, that we wouldn't expect to be able to sue them for the cost of a wedding and all that could surround it.

Also, I thought a civil ceremony was registry office or done by hse registrar.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

A2LUE42 wrote: »

Also, I thought a civil ceremony was registry office or done by hse registrar.

It is, but a lot of people used the term to indicate it's not a church ceremony.

OP, I wouldn't worry about it. It was in our contract. I'd say it is an issue so rarely.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭MiliMe

Yes, we have booked a humanist celebrant and this is similar to what our contract states.

• Advertisement
Advertisement