Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walking group Wicklow

Options
  • 18-01-2018 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Hi

Does anyone here belong to a walking group in Wicklow? I'd love to climb Sugar Loaf in February with a group of people. Is it suitable for a dog?

Thanks for your help

T*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

The bit at the end involves a bit of scrambling/climbing up a gulley and I'd say it wouldn't be suitable for a dog...unless you carry him in a rucksack!

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Tinwhistle*

exaisle wrote: »
    The bit at the end involves a bit of scrambling/climbing up a gulley and I'd say it wouldn't be suitable for a dog...unless you carry him in a rucksack!

God no, she's a golden retriever :eek:

God no, she's a golden retriever :eek:

Any club I've been out with don't allow dogs.
    They can trip people up and at the top of a mountain any leg/ankle injury can be a big big problem!

Any club I've been out with don't allow dogs.
    They can trip people up and at the top of a mountain any leg/ankle injury can be a big big problem!

I'll leave her at home :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

You could go somewhere like Glendalough where there are lots of walks that are along forest tracks rather than up the top of mountains...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

I have been there with dogs, and they made climb no problem but might be impossible for short legged dog like a terrier or unathletic one. The club allowing is another issue. If dog has to be on a lead then it could be a problem as they could pull you off the mountain if they stumble or lunge at other dogs.

I've decided not to take the dog, but still wondering if there's a group who will be climbing it next month? I'm not an experienced hill walker, but plan to do a few this year.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    T*

If all you want to do is climb the 'Great Sugarloaf', look here:

http://visitwicklow.ie/activities/the-sugarloaf-trail/

http://www.wicklowwalks.com/sugar-loaf

You don't need a group. Go on a Saturday or Sunday just after lunchtime and there will be other people walking up and down it. Your mobile phone will also have full signal on every square foot of it. Bring a flask so you can enjoy a cuppa at the top, raingear and warm clothes and enjoy being outside. It's barely a challenge and honestly, you'll have no problems if you're smart enough to be able to drive yourself there or find your way out on a bus. No joking.

If you want to get out walking more regularly, just have a look at the An Oige walking club to get started. There's a load of poli-thicks in some of the other clubs and snobbery abounds as regards where you've been, what you wear and all of that malarky. The group that head out on the An Oige walks are generally down to earth people with no airs and notions about them. You could do a lot worse if you're looking to head out with the hopes of getting a bit of confidence and having the chance to make some new walking friends.

Enjoy and mind yourself.

JayZeus wrote: »
    If all you want to do is climb the 'Great Sugarloaf', look here:

http://visitwicklow.ie/activities/the-sugarloaf-trail/

http://www.wicklowwalks.com/sugar-loaf

You don't need a group. Go on a Saturday or Sunday just after lunchtime and there will be other people walking up and down it. Your mobile phone will also have full signal on every square foot of it. Bring a flask so you can enjoy a cuppa at the top, raingear and warm clothes and enjoy being outside. It's barely a challenge and honestly, you'll have no problems if you're smart enough to be able to drive yourself there or find your way out on a bus. No joking.

If you want to get out walking more regularly, just have a look at the An Oige walking club to get started. There's a load of poli-thicks in some of the other clubs and snobbery abounds as regards where you've been, what you wear and all of that malarky. The group that head out on the An Oige walks are generally down to earth people with no airs and notions about them. You could do a lot worse if you're looking to head out with the hopes of getting a bit of confidence and having the chance to make some new walking friends.

Enjoy and mind yourself.

Thanks JayZeus, I'll do that.

lol re. notions :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Thanks JayZeus, I'll do that.

lol re. notions :D

There are a number of different Hiking groups on meetup, have a look there. Mikes Hikes, Wicklow Hiking and Adventure Group, Dublin Free Hiking, The Trailblazers to name but a few.

• Advertisement

There are a number of different Hiking groups on meetup, have a look there. Mikes Hikes, Wicklow Hiking and Adventure Group, Dublin Free Hiking, The Trailblazers to name but a few.

I'll take a look now, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Lo_La

I'll take a look now, thanks :)

Hey Tinwhistle* did you join a group in the end? I am looking for a Dublin/Wicklow group to join, thanks!

Advertisement