Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What GPU for 1440p

Options
  • 18-01-2018 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not really a gamer, but like to play some racing/rally games from time to time. Currently Dirt Rally, Project Cars 2 and obviously immortal Richard Burns Rally - possibly few more.

Got a new PC last year, with i5-7500, 16GB ram and 1050ti 4GB.
    Used it with my good old monitor NEC 20 inch 1680x1050.
    Obviously GPU was more than enough for that resolution.
    But I decided to upgrade monitor to Dell U2715H few days ago (2560x1440).

Now it seems that GPU is bit too slow for that.
    I'd say Dirt Rally and Project Cars 2 work with middle details, but it doesn't look as smooth as it looked on my old smaller NEC monitor.
    Monitor is not really gaming monitor (no 144hz, no g-sync) but I couldn't care less. I just want reasonable graphics quality.

What minimum GPU would I need for my games and future games in the next few years to work smoothly on my monitor?

I don't think I have budget to upgrade now, but might if prices go down a bit.

And in the mean time - what would most people do in such circumstances if staying with 1050ti and 1440p monitor.
    a) choose to play with middle settings at 1440p and not 100% smooth motion.
    b) choose to play with low settings at 1440p and smooth motion.
    c) choose to play with high settings at monitor non-native 1080p where sharpness would suffer.

Thanks for any opinions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

In the meantime I'd prefer 1440p native with low-medium settings.

As for the card, I'd say a GTX1060 6GB as a minimum, GTX1070 ideally but they're €280 and €450 cards. Market's screwed at the moment and has been for a long time due to all this mining crap. Zero competition from AMD (miners buying all their cards up at up to 200% RRP) means Nvidia have no reason to lower prices and they remain very high.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

A good number of games these days allow for Resolution Scaling, i.e. the game UI runs at 1440p but you run the game itself at lower internal resolution (e.g. Overwatch).

Your best bets for upgrading (right now) are GTX 900 series, e.g. 970, 980, 980 Ti

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Thanks.
    I'll look into resolution scaling you mention.

In the meantime I suppose I'll have to struggle with my setup, and probably upgrade to 1060 to 1070 in a year or so, when prices will go down :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

Hopefully by the Summer, prices will have normalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

My lad is using a 970 for 1440p with no issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

superg wrote: »
    My lad is using a 970 for 1440p with no issues.

Your point?

A 2018 Punto isnt faster than a 2017 Bugatti.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

ED E wrote: »
    Your point?

A 2018 Punto isnt faster than a 2017 Bugatti.

Erm, He asked what gpu for 1440p and i gave him an example of one that does it fine. Whats your problem? Bit tetchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

superg wrote: »
    Erm, He asked what gpu for 1440p and i gave him an example of one that does it fine. Whats your problem? Bit tetchy.

Wondering that myself, I would have suggested a 970 also... :/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Running 1440 fine on my old 970, even running fine with an old i5 2500k cpu too, all games 100fps + once i turn settings down to medium/low some games high is fine too.
    Considering im a framerate whore i simply have to play minimum 90 fps the ould 970 is still doing a good job at 1440.

Since you asked id also play 1440 medium low before 1080 ultra every day of the week once im hitting 90+ fps.

Having said that im planning a new rig soon but theres plenty of life left in the 970 yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,323 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I think we will be telling ourselves that for a while considering the prices of cards

"this old Voodoo 3 card is fiiiine"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Hopefully by the Summer, prices will have normalised.

yeah, its a real bad time to be a consumer for buying a GPU for gaming.

Advertisement