Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carbon bike advice - chip

Options
  • 18-01-2018 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi,

Looking for advice on carbon frame.

I ordered an ex-display bike with a "small scratch on frame" - cosmetic scratch according to the supplier.

However it arrived today, I spotted the "scratch" which actually it's a small chip to the frame rather cosmetic scratch. 1/2cm in size.

Attached pics - is this something to be concerned about..?
    https://imgur.com/a/9LAvl

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

It definitely looks more like a chip than a scratch but it seems, to my untrained eye, to be cosmetic rather than structural. If you're concerned maybe ask the shop for written confirmation that it's not structural damage? I doubt they'd sell it unless they were confident it was purely cosmetic...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭jamesd

Doesn't look bad to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

'Tis but a scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Looks very minor and like said the shop wouldn’t have sold it if they thought it was more than a cosmetic issue.

Ride her on!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Hide it with some electrical tape and it'll be graaaaand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Think you need a new bike...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

It seems to me, that the damage is cosmetic.
    However, it's a new bike and it's not grand.
    And it's not but a scratch.
    Electrical tape will cover it, but won't do.
    You need to cover it properly.
    I suggest something like this

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/2x-irish-flag-sticker-decal-50x35mm/130873639515?hash=item1e78ad425b:g:AaIAAMXQAx9RSzrk

Assuming, you're Irish, this might work and could look quite well.

Edit.
    Possibly, you do need a new bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭leecurlywurly

Alright, thanks all. Feeling a little better! Will look into resin or the like to stop it fraying/rust.

Cheers

Advertisement