Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oktoberfest - Tent Reservations

Options
  • 18-01-2018 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking for some information about Oktoberfest in Munich. Trying to organise a stag for 15ish people. I've been doing my research and reading older threads on here but thought there might be some fresh voices/experiences.

I'm not so concerned at this stage about accommodation/flights but I am worried about tent reservations. I understand the big ones only accept requests in February/March/May but my concern is that really by that stage you'd want to have booked the other elements of the trip, and I don't want to end up with flights and places to stay but no way of getting a seat (and therefore a drink) in a tent.

Is it really as difficult to get spots (on a Friday/weekend) as others seem to suggest? I've read on other forums about people queuing at 6am - this is just not going to work for 15 lads (!)

Any help or advice on this would be really appreciated.

Thanks guys,
    David

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

You need to be in the big tents by 8am... So don't know how good an idea this is to be honest... Depends on whether it's a drink focused or fun focused stag. Or what age the group are. If you just want to get trollied it would be cheaper and less hassle not to do this.

Sorry to be a damper....

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭The Caveman

If you manage to get a paid in advanced booking, you will either get a morning or afternoon slot.

if you go midweek, you will have a much better chance of getting it

Weekend, forget about it. Only advice i can give you to 99% get a table without a reservation, is to be in the line 2 hours before they open. once the doors finally open, run, and grab 2 tables. meaning, you should have all people there and sit down.

WE managed to get tables on weekends every time we tried, but ,we were only 6, and yes, we waited in the ques for a loooong time

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

theres now restricted entry (as in nobody except deliveries) on the oktoberfest grounds until 9am, so the queues in front of tents from 6am are a thing of the past.

If you really have to do it from a Friday to Sunday then it really is nigh on impossible to guarantee anything. With a group of 15 it'd not be very advisable anyhow as even if ye do get a reservation , youre 15 people among 600000+ people on a busy day so your celebration would get lost amongst the chaos.
    (to put that in perspective, many countries would shut down for a day if they had that many people going to a single place on one day, for Oktoberfest its just normal!)

What you could do though is come for one of the smaller fests, which are not quite as much of a party as Oktoberfest (i.e. less aussies and crazy italians), but for a group of 15 could work out better. That'd be Dachau, Rosenheim, Straubing, Nuremburg which are all relatively easy to get to from Munich.
    Or check out stuttgarts fest which is marginally smaller but supposedly way handier to get reservations or entry into. Hotels also better value, and direct flights are from Dublin . Stuttgart starts and finishes a week after Munich starts and finishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thread moved to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

I went to this place before. It's not in the official place, but it's a very similar experience, and they take online bookings.

Very hard to get a group into the main tents, if you walk around during the day time on a weekday, you'll get a table for a few hours, but they'll all be booked up in the evening time.

Munich is a great town anyway, even if you don't get into any of the tents!

• Advertisement
Advertisement