Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extension in Neighbor house - Height of Extension allowed?

Options
  • 18-01-2018 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Neighbors are building an extension which seem to be higher than usual heights of extensions
    I checked with the council and the said that they didn't see a planning permission requested.They also explained that there is no regulation on height as such and if I feel that it is under violation then I should complaint in writing

I have attached a picture here .Any suggestions on height of the structure and if it really looks high ?

( The house changed hands and I dont know the new neighbors yet ..)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Roosterreid

can you upload photos from other angles... its difficult to gauge from this photo

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Technically no limit on height for a single storey extension to the rear. It cannot go above eaves level but that is a non issue as it wouldn’t happen in practice due to first floor rear windows.

It would appear that the extension would be considered exempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The only potential thing to look out for there is that the flat roof just has a tall parapet and they're not planning on making a usable balcony out of it.

From the angle, the top of the parapet appears to be exactly the same height at the gable of your extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭RaulDublin

Thanks .
    I think the overall extension once completed will be much higher and I had been to there place a few times but as I couldn't chat with their builders. Wondering if I should ask the council to have a look although they wont move without a written complaint , which I want to avoid at this stage .

RaulDublin wrote: »
    Thanks .
    I think the overall extension once completed will be much higher and I had been to there place a few times but as I couldn't chat with their builders. Wondering if I should ask the council to have a look although they wont move without a written complaint , which I want to avoid at this stage .

You have to complain and give your name and address.
    I wouldn’t do it unless you are sure it’s a breach and if you get on with your neighbors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Without being funny it doesn't appear from the only image provided to have any impact on your garaden. Your extension is taller and you have the rest shielded by tall trees.

What exactly is the gripe other than the what might be...

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭RaulDublin

The neighbors extension is at least a meter taller as of now . North facing garden and back which now feels worse .

RaulDublin wrote: »
    The neighbors extension is at least a meter taller as of now . North facing garden and back which now feels worse .

It doesn’t look taller from your picture. You’d have to get some more photos to demonstrate this.

Advertisement