Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modular extension on cottage?

Options
  • 18-01-2018 12:21am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭

Have been left a little cottage and want to put on an extension at back. It will be tastefully done and am looking around for options. I have come across a place and went to have a look. Custom built modular homes can be factory built and placed by crane on site. I would get a 40m2 little rectangle house, made to go behind cottage. This would be at 90 degrees to main house. This would be connected to back of main house by a short tunnel. ie go out back door of main house and you are into tunnel which goes into gable of modular house. Ideas?

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 518 ✭✭✭eamon11

I think its a fantastic idea. How would you marry them together?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭buky

thank you for your support. I haven't thought through all the finer details yet. Hence the post here. If I used the same external finish and roof covering it should look ok? It will be at back of house after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Sounds nice but you will have a lot of exposed perimeter, therefore unnecessary heat loss.
    As opposed to building out on the sunny side of the cottage, you could then incorporate a lot of new glazing into the design, and if it was fairly open plan the light would still get through to the old part.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 107 ✭✭Jim1000

I would agree with recedite. Seeing as it will be a custom build why not have it made without 1 gable and just push it up to the house wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭zoom_cool

Did you ever get your extension done buky

• Advertisement
Advertisement