Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor Activity Instructor Traineeship

Options
  • 17-01-2018 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I'm just wondering if anyone has done this course by Kerry etb or galway/mayo etb? All the threads are old. Is it worth doing it or would it be better to the fetac course run by Kinsale college? Is it hard to get a place on the course?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Was involved in the area once, bit out of touch now with the outdoor activity industry which has expanded a lot since the 1990s. I hear/ read odds and ends about these various courses. Maybe depends where in the country you're from, the closest might be the most practical. There's Dublin courses as well like https://www.cdcfe.ie/courses/health-and-leisure/outdoor-adventure-management-shackleton and I know someone who did a course out of Drogheda once.

If location is not important, then look at the course providers and what they emphasis. If you're keener on water sports partic sailing related, then Kinsale might be best. Others for land based activities though all usually offer some blend.

There's lots of certs and standards in the outdoor activity industry, some skills related, others leadership or instructing related and of course first aid. So check to see what blend of 'paper' you might come out with and be ready to jump through lots of hoops :)

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭rosie16

Thanks for the reply. That's some good advice with regard to what I want to come out of it with. Location isn't important. I love the water and Cappanlea looks good too.

I know you have been out of touch with the sector but is there anything negative /worth weighing up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

rosie16 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. That's some good advice with regard to what I want to come out of it with. Location isn't important. I love the water and Cappanlea looks good too.

I know you have been out of touch with the sector but is there anything negative /worth weighing up?

Not particularly, outdoor pursuits instruction is mostly a 'young person's job'. Your standard 'outdoor centre' does a lot of schools/ youth work, whether VEC or commercial operator. Good craic, but can be repetitive. You'd want to be happy working on bad days as well as good. Safety is always important so you want to be able to concentrate and watch out for problems developing. There are older people involved, some go into management, some to running skills courses, some in the corporate workplace training area. Others get worn out/ disenchanted and move into other related or unrelated areas - like outdoor pursuits retail etc.

But assuming it floats your boat, then go for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭rosie16

I was thinking that about it being a young person's job. Although I wouldn't mind doing it even if it only works out for a short time. Thanks for all the advice :)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,163 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

FYI if you do the Shackleton course in Dublin, which is supposed to be very good, you can get straight into third year on the Outdoor Education deegree course in GMIT Castlebar (or at least this used to be the case).

• Advertisement
Advertisement