Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sugru clearance @ Woodies (66% off)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,446 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I'd say 90% of what I've used it on has been repairing car bits! Great stuff. Only want black though!

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭St. Leibowitz

Great price. If you bulk buy, store in the fridge and it'll extend the shelf life past the use by date by a large amount.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Bought a pack of it once, biggest waste of money ever.

Even at that price, it's still just a novelty that will end up in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Steve wrote: »
    Bought a pack of it once, biggest waste of money ever.

Even at that price, it's still just a novelty that will end up in the bin.

Well that went down like a lead balloon :'(

And I was so looking forward to getting some...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Well that went down like a lead balloon :'(

And I was so looking forward to getting some...

Google it, regular silicon sealer and cornflower does the same job ( I think, can't remember but is something like that) ... fraction of the cost

Edit:
    http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To-Make-Your-Own-Sugru-Substitute/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Google it, regular silicon sealer and cornflower does the same job ( I think, can't remember but is something like that) ... fraction of the cost

Edit:

Is that the mixture that the Irish lady who invented Sugru used?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I find it fantastic. Had loads of uses for it already, headphone hooks, drawer closer with magnet, hole sealer, wire organiser etc etc. Will definitely pick up some at those prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Edit:

Dear god man.

All that effort, mess, hassle to save about two quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Is that the mixture that the Irish lady who invented Sugru used?

She originally used sawdust and regular silicone then got some chemists involved.

Sugru is apparently a mixture of talc, silicone, silane and other ingredients to improve adhesion.

The DIY oogoo or oogrue whatever you'd like to call it doesn't have the adhesion of sugru which might be advantageous for moulding things.

'Regular' silicone releases acetic acid which stinks and can be corrosive to things its attached to, also has poor adhesion especially to pvc.

Its been on my to do list to try a neutral curing silicone with a little silane/siloxane concrete sealant mixed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

You won't need this stuff until you need it, then it might come in very handy. I had a leaking copper cylinder which I needed to seal until I'd the time and inclination to take it out and replace it. I tried chemical metal etc to seal a small leak in the cylinder and had given up on hoping to patch it up when I read about someone patching up a leaking electric kettle with this stuff. I gave sugru a go more in vain hope than expectation and it did the job very well and a few months later it's still holding the leak at bay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

tryfix wrote: »
    You won't need this stuff until you need it, then it might come in very handy. I had a leaking copper cylinder which I needed to seal until I'd the time and inclination to take it out and replace it. I tried chemical metal etc to seal a small leak in the cylinder and had given up on hoping to patch it up when I read about someone patching up a leaking electric kettle with this stuff. I gave sugru a go more in vain hope than expectation and it did the job very well and a few months later it's still holding the leak at bay.

Hmmm I'm still not convinced!?
    It might make me lazy 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

I've used it to strengthen my earphones at the jack and ear connections and made hooks and hoops for my remotes which now hang on the side of my tv unit. I made a table holder for one of the kids so they can watch their tablets in bed. The stuff is great but I do question the strength of the adhesion sometimes, I suppose it depends on the amount you use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Best to ring before going down to any of these stores. For example, Woodies Nass road have none in stock. The website has '1' in stock for everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

The DIY route of cornflour/silicone stinks to high heavens, for days.
    The proper Sugru has some fancy chemical added to it, that would score bonus points on Countdown™.

Saying that, it's successful for some things (turning any basic headphones into better passive-nr molded headphones),
    but not for others e.g. didn't last a crack as additional grips on my pair of hiking boots. Amzn also do regular sales on this.

Various other 'hacks' for this stuff include:

Creating grip on coat hangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Thanks OP, had not read the comment until now, but just picked up three packs of 3x single use for €1 per pack in store.

EDITED

Best Before 02 AUG 2017 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Suckit wrote: »
    Best Before 02 AUG 2018 :(

Store it in the fridge.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    Store it in the fridge.

Going to do that now, but i was not even aware that it had a best before date.
    It is 5½ months past.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Going to do that now, but i was not even aware that it had a best before date.
    It is 5½ months past.

So 2017, not 2018?

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    So 2017, not 2018?
    Yep, sorry...

:o:o

Wasn't thinking, didn't realise i wrote 2018. It is also "Use By" not best before.

One of them is Use By May 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Edit:

:pac: Thanks Steve
    Dear god man.

All that effort, mess, hassle to save about two quid.

Welcome to Bargain Alerts Former :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭long_b

Just checked mine bight a few weeks ago. 01 Jan 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭long_b

Just checked mine bought a few weeks ago. 01 Jan 2018

• Subscribers Posts: 16,564 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

The use befofe date for sugru badly caught me out, had quite a stock from 2013 that all went out of date and was useless. Not worth stocking up on it ever in my opinion, just buy if something comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭baldshin

Picked up a load today, it's all down to 47c now.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

None left on the woodies website :( All the links are dead and a search for Sugru gives back nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 21,156 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Are they, no longer going to stock it?

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭AS1890

Water John wrote: »
    Are they, no longer going to stock it?

I tried in Woodies Kinsale Road Cork last Thursday. None on the shelf and according to a member of staff they are no longer going to stock it.

baldshin wrote: »
    Picked up a load today, it's all down to 47c now.

Did you check the use by date?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭baldshin

Did you check the use by date?

Yup, all March this year. Some were out of date but I left them behind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,619 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

None left in Carrickmines or Sandyford, staff member said that was the end of it as they won't be restocking it.

Advertisement