Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site purchase for construction

Options
  • 17-01-2018 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Evening all.

This is my first post on the forum so, first things first, Hello!

I have this idea in mind that I am trying to put together and I was wondering if you would have any ideas where to begin or maybe some advice. The thing is quite long and I am quite sure most of the questions have been answered a ton of times already but please bear with me!

My plan is to buy a plot of land with no Planning Permission along with another 2 people. Once we've bought this land, our intention is to divide it in three smaller standalone plots after which the other two are planning to apply for a Planning Permit and start building as soon as this gets approved.

While I am also looking to build a house, I am both torn between an EcoHome and a normal one and I am also still a bit short of money as of yet so I will be waiting for a couple of years more at least.

Now. Before I jump into the questions, I would like to mention that I am completely oblivious to the organs regulating housing in Ireland (expat loving your country btw.. :D ).

With all the above in mind, I suppose my initial and more generic questions are:

- Can 3 people enter in a purchase contract for the same plot?
    - Can the plot be divided later on as we wish and registered with the applicable authorities into 3 independent sites?
    - Where can one check whether a terrain is labeled as residential, amenity, commercial or industrial?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

moldi wrote: »
    Evening all.

This is my first post on the forum so, first things first, Hello!

I have this idea in mind that I am trying to put together and I was wondering if you would have any ideas where to begin or maybe some advice. The thing is quite long and I am quite sure most of the questions have been answered a ton of times already but please bear with me!

My plan is to buy a plot of land with no Planning Permission along with another 2 people. Once we've bought this land, our intention is to divide it in three smaller standalone plots after which the other two are planning to apply for a Planning Permit and start building as soon as this gets approved.

While I am also looking to build a house, I am both torn between an EcoHome and a normal one and I am also still a bit short of money as of yet so I will be waiting for a couple of years more at least.

Now. Before I jump into the questions, I would like to mention that I am completely oblivious to the organs regulating housing in Ireland (expat loving your country btw.. :D ).

With all the above in mind, I suppose my initial and more generic questions are:

- Can 3 people enter in a purchase contract for the same plot?
    - Can the plot be divided later on as we wish and registered with the applicable authorities into 3 independent sites?
    - Where can one check whether a terrain is labeled as residential, amenity, commercial or industrial?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!!

Hi, given you are not a local and I am assuming the other 2 are also not local you will need to buy a plot within a development boundary, ie within a town or village. Basically if all 3 of ye cannot prove a local need, all rural locations will be out of the question for what you are proposing, if you can provide a local need what you are proposing will be most likely out of the question rurally anyway as you would need to be buying a very large plot to accommodate 3 houses and avoid ribbon development.

As a rough guide when you are looking for plots within a development boundary you would need to be looking within the 50km/h speed limits surrounding the town or village.

Unfortunately while what you are proposing in theory seams reasonable, in reality these types of plots come up very rarely and and are normally more suitable to small housing estates of 15-30 units and therefore command a relatively high price per acre.

However it is possible, I have done something similar in the past where I purchased a derelict house on a large plot in a village and have since knocked the derelict house, divided the plot and now have two houses built on the plot, one for myself and one for someone else.

Hope the above helps

Advertisement