Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think smart handguns will help us get Handguns in the ROI

Options
  • 17-01-2018 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

Smart Handguns while the technology is questionable may be a first step in allowing centrefire handguns in ire land for shooters what do you guys think about this do you think it could work.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Very very unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

You fell at the word handgun

• Registered Users Posts: 14,955 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

NOT.A.HOPE..Smart or dumb..

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

They get thrown around by gun control advocates in the states as the be all and end all but their just a pile of Sh!te There's 101 ways to get past their "smart" systems . The only safety around a firearm that is needed is common sense:p

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭cosieman

Obviously it would never work in the USA but when the technology improves it might be a good start in Ireland for centrefire handguns.

• Advertisement

The point isn't that they don't work; it's that they're a design explicitly predicated on the idea of using them for self-defence so that a burglar can't use your own firearm to shoot you. Of great concern to some americans; not even a starting point here because you cannot legally own a firearm for self-defence here.

Seriously, worse than a red herring, bringing this up in the Dail would be like waving a lightning rod in a thunderstorm.

Lets say you propose it then what? another dermot ahern comes along and tries to make these new fangled smart locks mandatory for all guns............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

cosieman wrote: »
    Smart Handguns while the technology is questionable may be a first step in allowing centrefire handguns in ire land for shooters what do you guys think about this do you think it could work.

We have already had centrefire pistols in Ireland, and some still do. Thats the republic we are talking about, north of the border, there is little problem in licencing a centrefire pistol.

gunny123 wrote: »
    We have already had centrefire pistols in Ireland, and some still do. Thats the republic we are talking about, north of the border, there is little problem in licencing a centrefire pistol.

Or get a restricted firearms dealer licence.....
    Which essentially makes you a class A dealer in the EU scheme of things

I wonder what the situation would be if by some twist of fate the country was reunited ? What would happen to the many thousands of legally held centrefires licenced in norn iron ? A lot of them are for personal protection, which is difficult to get down here.

• Advertisement

gunny123 wrote: »
    I wonder what the situation would be if by some twist of fate the country was reunited ? What would happen to the many thousands of legally held centrefires licenced in norn iron ? A lot of them are for personal protection, which is difficult to get down here.

I was thinking that myself Semi auto CF rifle legal here VS CF pistols and reloading up there Their system is also lightyears ahead of ours with the banded licencing system etc.... Hopefully we would get the best of both but instead i think everyone would get shafted

I was thinking that myself Semi auto CF rifle legal here VS CF pistols and reloading up there Their system is also lightyears ahead of ours with the banded licencing system etc.... Hopefully we would get the best of both but instead i think everyone would get shafted

We would be if the village idiots down here were to run things. Anyway its all a pipedream.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

How many crimes are committed annually with legally held firearms let alone handguns? I know of a CS who was asked that and couldnt answer but as far as I know the number is near zero.

The restrictions arent practical, they arent to increase safety. They're political.

Forget SMART guns, think Self Made Guns.

* The US allows for all components bar the lower receiver to be sold unrestricted - here is the opposite - but if you can mill a lower you can soon mill a barrel and block. Rest is childs play.

Expect orwellian controls once the first lad prints a GPMG in his shed.

ED E wrote: »
    How many crimes are committed annually with legally held firearms let alone handguns? I know of a CS who was asked that and couldnt answer but as far as I know the number is near zero.

The restrictions arent practical, they arent to increase safety. They're political.

Forget SMART guns, think Self Made Guns.

* The US allows for all components bar the lower receiver to be sold unrestricted - here is the opposite - but if you can mill a lower you can soon mill a barrel and block. Rest is childs play.

Expect orwellian controls once the first lad prints a GPMG in his shed.

Any engineering shop could manufacture any modern firearm design like ARs etc a 5 way cnc machine will make everything bar the barrel(plenty of designs for homemade rifling machines on the interwebs) and you can buy all the furniture from a airsoft shop
    hell any eijit with a welder and some scrap steel could make a submachine gun just look at all the "ulster funny guns" granted a bit of dutch courage might be required to test fire it:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Think you need to re-title the thread to smart self defense EDC :)

Any engineering shop could manufacture any modern firearm design like ARs etc a 5 way cnc machine will make everything bar the barrel(plenty of designs for homemade rifling machines on the interwebs) and you can buy all the furniture from a airsoft shop
    hell any eijit with a welder and some scrap steel could make a submachine gun just look at all the "ulster funny guns" granted a bit of dutch courage might be required to test fire it:eek:

Why bother, when two < **MOD EDIT** > will build you a simple slam fire shotgun?
    PA Luty's improvised SMG design has been made now globally and is very effective,it can be made out of bits in any high st iron mongers supply.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Folks, can we keep the "no illegal stuff" charter rule in mind please? What it's physically possible to do in this universe and what's legal to do in this jurisdiction are a long long walk from being the same thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

cosieman wrote: »

No it is smart politicians that we need

No it is smart politicians that we need

Yeah thats gonna happen :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Is a smart handgun...a handgun that knows the man holding it is a Gob****e???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 mylo10

ED E wrote: »

Very few, if any. I'd say the guards would be more worried about thefts of legally held firearms ending up in the wrong hands.

Here's a recent one: http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/man-accused-over-shooting-gets-bail-342552.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

mylo10 wrote: »
    Very few, if any. I'd say the guards would be more worried about thefts of legally held firearms ending up in the wrong hands.

Here's a recent one: http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/man-accused-over-shooting-gets-bail-342552.html

Was it a stolen shotgun? The article says it was legally held.

More of the "Sons of idiocy.Limerick chapter.":rolleyes:

mylo10 wrote: »

The fact that something maybe used illegally if stolen, should not be a reason to persecute, legitimate and legal ownership of those items. Crims often use large audi or bmw cars, also powerful sports bikes, as getaway vehicles. That should not be used as a reason to ban ownership of those cars/bikes.

That case in the link was a shotgun. Farmers, under the lobbying of the ifa are allowed to have a shotgun without having to keep it in a safe. So crims know that every isolated farm house, more than likely has an ancient double barrel behind the kitchen door, or under the bed. You want a gun, you break in, chances of being caught - next to zero.

The ptb got their panties in a bunch over none-fudd firearms being licenced, and were worried about crimes being committed with them. A better use of their time would have been to get farmers to fit a gunsafe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

I did 10 minutes of googling smart guns and I'm certain those protections can be disabled by anyone with a few tools and a half an hour.
    Only good on the off chance someone disarms you and tries to shoot you with your own gun.

Arimatix.The most hated gun security system in Germany.They campaigned for their so-called "vibrator" breech locking system[It looks exactly like a sex aid ] to be the standard govt used blocking device in Germany, for inherited guns or if you have been naughty and been caught diddling your taxes or a DUI conviction.The Germans don't take your property away.They just lock it from being used and seal your gun safe from use.In short, their "dildo gun security" is utter crap and was proven to be knocked out with...Magnets.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Sika98k

It's a woman from Cork running the firearms licensing unit in Belfast. A pity she wouldn't come back one and sort out what we have to deal with.

Be one Hell of a mess that's for sure.But not surprising with all the cans kicked down the road for decades,so that there is now a giant scrap pile of cans on every NI issue for someone to sort out.:rolleyes:

Imagine a genuine opposition in the Dail, of Jeffery Donaldson types, just saying NO to everything for the pure feck of it.Our lot would have to up their games and earn their wage packets something fierce.

Leave them have them in a 32 county...We can demand same down here in the 26.Remove them in NI "No surrender of firearms to the Fenians etc ,etc."

Just ONE of the many worms in a very big can thereof labelled "Northern Ireland".:p

Advertisement