Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Posts of Responsibility: How To

Options
  • 17-01-2018 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

I'm interested in obtaining a post but I'm not really sure what I should be doing. I don't know how POR are allocated. Does the principal just decide oh we need someone to organise the open night so I'll make that a post?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

I'm interested in obtaining a post but I'm not really sure what I should be doing. I don't know how POR are allocated. Does the principal just decide oh we need someone to organise the open night so I'll make that a post?

Your school should have a schedule of posts that is reviewed every few years to reflect the needs of the school.
    Due to a long running moratorium on filling posts over the last decade many of these would be unfilled. Now that the department is granting some more posts back to schools, school managements will be looking to assign successful applicants into some of these roles.
    There will still be many left unfilled as we are still going to be a long way short of where we were 10 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

There is an application and interview process. A new circular came out about it only this week.

https://www.education.ie/en/Circulars-and-Forms/Active-Circulars/cl0003_2018.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 48,151 ✭✭✭✭km79

Annual review and report
    More paperwork
    Joy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Have schools been informed what they are getting individually by the Department? I see some people are interviewing already.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭ccazza

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Have schools been informed what they are getting individually by the Department? I see some people are interviewing already.

Apparently the Department are letting every school know next week what they are entitled to.

• Advertisement

Mardy Bum wrote: »

Should be easy enough as there’s a table of posts to go with allocations in the circular

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭chases0102

Hi all,

Has anyone any experience in (informally) leading initiatives within their school that would help their application for a POR? WHat did people do that was useful in an interview situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

chases0102 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Has anyone any experience in (informally) leading initiatives within their school that would help their application for a POR? WHat did people do that was useful in an interview situation?

Your school should have a list of areas that require coordination. It is very localised in any school really.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 John0000

Hi all,

If you have been helping outside the classroom all along this stands to you. The interview panel can see right through teachers who all of a sudden get involve in activities because a post is coming up or those that do a course but literally do nothing else. If you are interested in management a course is highly recommended but you need to offer more than just that. They want teachers who are willing to put in work and have shown/showing commitment to the school. I have an A post but plan to move School so will be leaving it behind unless redeployed. If you plan to move up in management then a B Post is a good starting point but I have heard of cases of some who are run ragged and the pay after tax is not worth it. On the flip side there are many teachers helping in so many ways with no extra pay, so financial recognition to those is overdue! Good Luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Hi all,

Be careful depending on how strong the union is in your school. There is a union directive against doing work unpaid that was part of a post of responsibility

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Does anyone have a copy of the score sheet for a POR interview?

dory wrote: »
    Does anyone have a copy of the score sheet for a POR interview?

It’s in the new circular

It’s in the new circular

Thanks! I'd stopped reading at the table of teacher numbers to go find out our teacher numbers. I'm thinking of going for a B post. Do you have any recommended reading for me? I suppose I should read up on policies and the like.

dory wrote: »
    Thanks! I'd stopped reading at the table of teacher numbers to go find out our teacher numbers. I'm thinking of going for a B post. Do you have any recommended reading for me? I suppose I should read up on policies and the like.

I got my B post in 2006 so it's a long time ago. It also depends on what questions a panel puts together, and I would presume the principal has an input no matter what is said.

I talked about the duties I was carrying out at the time, and I was asked about the disciplinary procedures in the school and how I dealt with discipline issues and what my role would be as part of the management structure. I was also asked at the time if I would consider a course in management. I don't remember the detail to be honest.

Advertisement