Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IEC - Work Permit about to Expire :(

Options
  • 17-01-2018 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hello,

I think I already know the answer to this but I want to make sure before I book my flight over to Canada to activate my Visa.

I have received a POE letter for an IEC - Working Holiday and I have to enter Canada by the 20th of February 2018 in order to activate it. I will not be ready to move to Canada until about June this year.

Has anyone let this letter expire and then reapplied again shortly afterwards?

It seems like most people on here are saying that if you do not activate and use this Work Permit "this will still count as one IEC participation" and "as an Irish citizen, you may participate in the Working Holiday category only once."

This is bit nuts... but anyway... has anyone tried to reapply after letting it expire and if so, what was the result?

I just want to get some feedback before I book a very nonsensical round trip to Toronto just to activate the work permit.

Thanks,
    Rob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

Did you not have a full year to activate it?

I doubt you'll get another chance to apply and be successful. If they were in the same demand as a few years back it would be unfair to others who didn't get it.

I'm waiting on approval on mine...all docs uploaded and fee paid.

Aer Lingus fly direct and for the same price and flight time as New York so not a big deal to pop over for a long weekend and activate it if you really are planning to move there.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭robvam

Hi jme2010,

Thanks for the message!

Yeh, I did have a full year to activate it, but that year is almost up now and I still won't be ready to leave for a few months.

I wonder if anyone has tried re-applying again recently? If I have no other option then ill fly to Toronto to activate it, but i would prefer it not to come to that.

Thanks,
    Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

Fire off a mail to Question@cic.gc.ca

Include your application number and UIC. Not sure how fast they respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

They won't extend the validity of a Letter of Invitation. You can try and apply for a second one (not guaranteed though I do know people who slipped through the cracks and did get a second one). By far your best option is to activate it before it expires.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭robvam

Hi All,

Thanks for the responses everyone!

I have bitten the bullet and booked return flights to Toronto to go and activate the visa. It is a bit of a hassle and a shame they don't make it a bit easier for people to reapply if they have not used it.
    But anyway... at least I get to see Toronto :)

Thanks again!
    Rob

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Nymeria

Hi Rob,

I'm kind of in the same situation, as my POE expires in May and I'm going to have to fly over and activate it.

I applied ages ago when my situation was different, I'm now not ready to go until the end of the year probably.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that at the airport when they are validating your visa, they may ask you for proof of funds - $2500 Canadian, and also proof that you have travel insurance to cover you for the whole period of your visa. For example if you only have insurance to cover you for a month, they may only issue you with a visa for the duration of that month.

Basically you are supposed to have everything prepared like you are heading over for the two years or whatever, even though you're only there for a few days to activate it. I'm scrambling around trying to get this together, because I don't want to waste the opportunity to go back later in the year.

You might get lucky and they may not ask to see this stuff, but if they do and you don't have it you may not a get your IEC. Apparently they are pretty strict about this.

After you are granted the visa, you can go back and forth for the period of two years.

Also, while I agree with you that it seems a bit extreme to not let people who haven't used them apply again, but as there are only a limited amount issued every year, and often many more people apply than are granted - its a bit unfair on the people who didn't get one if a whole rake of people are granted visas, don't bother using them, and then clog up the system by applying again the next year.

I say that as someone who would love to be able to apply again this year as my situation has changed a lot since I applied first, but I guess this is their way of trying to ensure that the people who apply are geared up and ready to use them.

Anyway, sorry to be the bearer of expensive news!!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Nymeria

Actually, according the link below, if your POE expires, you can apply again.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=846&top=15

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Nymeria wrote: »
    Actually, according the link below, if your POE expires, you can apply again.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=846&top=15

That refers to the work permit. In some cases (if your passport is expiring in less than 2 years for example), the work permit may be issued for less than 2 years. Your LOI is not extendable and for the purposes of IEC, receiving and LOI counts as participation.

Advertisement