Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil engineer to teacher

Options
  • 17-01-2018 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

In the process of going back to do a PME, and tryin to fill out the subject declaration forms for physics and maths/applies maths. Have any civil engineers or otherwise done this before and have any advice on choosing subjects to cover topics? I’m pretty sure I definitely have sufficient knowledge but just need to formally back it up now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

In the process of going back to do a PME, and tryin to fill out the subject declaration forms for physics and maths/applies maths. Have any civil engineers or otherwise done this before and have any advice on choosing subjects to cover topics? I’m pretty sure I definitely have sufficient knowledge but just need to formally back it up now.

ignore thus if you've gotten your degree assessed approved already. Does your engineer degree qualify you to teach maths / physics etc?
    Be careful of universities. They might let you on the course (and happily take your fees). But at the other end when you go to register after graduating with the teaching council they might say you have deficiencies in your primary degree.
    Apply away, but check in with the TC too in the meantime if you haven't done so.

This is very common for engineers who have posted on here. They're convinced they have the knowledge to teach maths/dcg/engineering/maths/physics/applied maths, but teaching council says no! In saying that you may just have a few modules to do to compensate. Those engineers might have paved the way for you though so you're degree might have been assessed already.

As regards subjects. Maths is good for getting work at the moment as it's a core subject. Physics isn't too plentiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Ev_Doors.
    Schools are strung out for Physics teachers with the subject being taught in a lot of places by people without enough college credits to have them registered.

Fark_
    I'd put money that you won't be able to qualify to teach Maths and I would not be surprised if you didn't have the requisite qualifications to teach Physics.

Be sure of what your degree qualifies you to teach before you apply.
    Be willing to part with at least €12k to get a masters, or else go to the UK where they will pay for you to become a teacher.
    Despite the shortage of Physics teachers, don't expect to walk into a full-time 22 hours post in your locality. That's not how principals operate unfortunately.
    Be prepared to have to move to get a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Yes I concur with previous posters. I was meant to reply to this thread earlier. It is highly unlikely that OP will register for maths. The only engineering degree qualifying a graduate to teach maths is B.Eng even though maths makes a substantial part of all engineering degrees but the Teaching Council don't agree. You will be fighting a losing battle with them. Yes I wouldn't believe what the universities tell you, when I started my course, I was told that I could teach ICT/Maths/Physics and my language - great yes - but when it came to registering - was registered for ICT alone - very employable with that - afraid not!! I remember when I did my dip, there was a man who gave the Teaching Council representative a good dressing down because it became evident that he would not be able to register with them after doing the dip. It is imperative to check that your degree is recognised for at least one teaching subject to Leaving Cert level.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Fark McGee-zax

Yes I concur with previous posters. I was meant to reply to this thread earlier. It is highly unlikely that OP will register for maths. The only engineering degree qualifying a graduate to teach maths is B.Eng even though maths makes a substantial part of all engineering degrees but the Teaching Council don't agree. You will be fighting a losing battle with them. Yes I wouldn't believe what the universities tell you, when I started my course, I was told that I could teach ICT/Maths/Physics and my language - great yes - but when it came to registering - was registered for ICT alone - very employable with that - afraid not!! I remember when I did my dip, there was a man who gave the Teaching Council representative a good dressing down because it became evident that he would not be able to register with them after doing the dip. It is imperative to check that your degree is recognised for at least one teaching subject to Leaving Cert level.

Did u do follow up courses to meet the requirements for physics and maths?

It’s disappointing to hear about the teaching council. Had some contact with them and despite them being ridiculously not commital they were encouraging to keep goin!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

It’s disappointing to hear about the teaching council. Had some contact with them and despite them being ridiculously not commital they were encouraging to keep goin!

PM sent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

All they want is your money.
    It's €200 to get your degree assessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Fark McGee-zax

Seems like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

I know if a girl with an engineering degree who did the PME , the teaching council ended up approving her for applied maths but she had to get extra credits with the open university for maths and physics. She still got some teaching work but spent a few years adding on credits and it was expensive . So the open university is a route but it's a matter of seeing which credits with match the discrepancy. Hope that helps.

Advertisement