Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Route help request: coast to coast 240km

Options
  • 17-01-2018 12:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine turns 40 this year and as I’ll be forty for some of the year we’re trying to do a one day 240km route some time in the summer. Start must be at the lighthouse at the exit from Dublin Port. End point has to be the sea somewhere else in the country. So far we have one that ends in Connemara but are wondering if anyone has something else that would fit. No sportives though.

This’ll be a precursor to my cycling alone from home in D9 to home in North West Donegal before I get hitched at the end of the year, so some hills are welcome. But go easy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Crippens1

Consider doing it the other way round so that you get the prevailing wind at your back. I've done a few Galway-Dublin spins in recent years and a following wind makes it so much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

Just having a quick look it would seem that if leaving Poolbeg is a given and you want to end up on the west coast then Galway is really the only option to keep iot to 240KM, though if you's accept the Shannon Estuary then you could work something towards there as well either.

http://cycle.travel/map?from=Poolbeg%20AGI&to=Galway&fromLL=53.33793795,-6.188261265764952&toLL=53.2744122,-9.0490631

Cycle.travel will give you nice routes off the beaten track but you can pull and drag onto the main roads either, plenty of options to play with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Thanks guys. Yeah. We know about the wind but we’re ok with kicking into it. Rather a night in Galway than a slightly anti-climactic return to Dublin.

Doesn’t have to be west coast btw, any coast will do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Dungarvan.

End to end direct is less than 240 but with the following it'll be close.

Follow Brown Stuff 400 route to Thomastown, head south from there to bridge over Suir at Fidown. From there route through Portlaw and Kilmactomas and join Greenaway at Viaduct and follow it to Dungarvan.

I'll map it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,217 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

ford2600 wrote: »
    Dungarvan.

End to end direct is less than 240 but with the following it'll be close.

Follow Brown Stuff 400 route to Thomastown, head south from there to bridge over Suir at Fidown. From there route through Portlaw and Kilmactomas and join Greenaway at Viaduct and follow it to Dungarvan.

I'll map it later.
    You'd have to do a climb or too if you are going down that way to be fair, would be a shame to miss them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

You'd have to do a climb or too if you are going down that way to be fair, would be a shame to miss them

By the time route gets to Borris you have already climbed Sally Gap, Shay Eliott, Slieve Mann & Mount Lenister; believe me that's plenty.

The bridge in Fidown is named after Kelly although if you like your history finishing route though Griffin's Garage crossroads, road where Larry Griffin's bike was found and Stradbally would be cool to.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the cycling route suggested by google maps from dublin to the giant's causeway is 257km - walking route suggested is 239km, so may be possible to shorten the cycle?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Strandhill in Sligo. It's a little over 220. There are some seriously quiet roads en route. I did it the other way round last year and should be able to add another few km starting somewhere from the coast.

Not much in the way of hills, but there are some diversions you can take to make it a bit lumpier.

https://www.strava.com/activities/975734911

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

No way, in all my years of cycling, I'm yet to view hills as anything more than an interruption of a good fast spin.
    the cycling route suggested by google maps from dublin to the giant's causeway is 257km - walking route suggested is 239km, so may be possible to shorten the cycle?

Thanks, that's an idea.
    Weepsie wrote: »
    Strandhill in Sligo. It's a little over 220. There are some seriously quiet roads en route. I did it the other way round last year and should be able to add another few km starting somewhere from the coast.

Not much in the way of hills, but there are some diversions you can take to make it a bit lumpier.

https://www.strava.com/activities/975734911

That's super.

Thanks a million people, the help is much appreciated.

Advertisement