Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing restrictor.. effect on insurance?

Options
  • 17-01-2018 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have now reached the licence/age where I can remove the restrictor on my bike. It looks straighforward enough to do but I'm just wondering if I do it myself will my insurace be null in void? Do I have to get a registered mechanic to do it or is notifying them that it is done enough?

Thanks! :)

(written on behalf of a friend. I, personally, have no idea how to remove a restrictor ;) )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,081 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Did you go A2 to A? Most A2 bikes aren't worth derestricting and are probably worth more in restricted form. Yes you must tell your insurance company. If it was factory restricted you have to get the vehicle registration certificate amended too.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

^^^ This

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

If your insurance is for a restricted bike then it would be voided if you removed the restrictor, no matter what license you have

someone with 30 years on an A license could get a quote on a restricted bike and void their policy by removing the restriction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭flc37ie6ojwkh8

On the paper it would be voided, but the truth is that they 99% of the time won't notice the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

true but if you were caught doing 160mph and the guards looked for your insurance and it said a 35kw restricted bike...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭flc37ie6ojwkh8

Well if they catch you at 160mph you will have a much more bigger problem than the unrestriction. What you can do and i've seen this done is to wire a push button from the electronic throttle. That way the bike is "restricted" unless the pushbutton is pushed. It can also be a switch but you face the problem that if they catch you and the switch is on you are done.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,081 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's really not worth the effort, especially now as there is direct access to an A licence at age 24, and that thing (can't remember what it's called) where you can pass a test in a lower category and then get the licence for the higher category by just doing some IBT modules.

It was all very different under the old rules, where you could buy an R1 and ride it legally restricted. It would be worth derestricting that when your restriction period ended! A2 bikes now are very limited in the 'parent' bike they come from (so, much less power to be gained) and there's little point for most people in getting an A2 licence in the first place.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

On the paper it would be voided, but the truth is that they 99% of the time won't notice the difference.

And you know this to be fact???

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Colm17RvB

OP, easiest thing to do is to ring your insurer and talk to them. They won't care how it is done (generally) just that it is done/not done. Talk to them and see.
    Nope, it's just voided for breach of contract. Also, you know, fraud.

Advertisement