Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with Boss after handing in my notice

Options
  • 17-01-2018 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I handed in my notice to my current employers on Friday. My contract has one months notice stipulated and I have 5 days holidays accrued so effectively I'm giving them 3 weeks. My employer has a reputation of treating people badly when you hand in your notice but it was worse than I thought

I lost 2 of my family in tragic circumstances 2 years ago and it was implied they treated me well and that I wasn't great the year after everything happened. Said I shafted them by handing in my notice as they had made a lot of changes in the organisation based on my role. Offered me an extra 10 grand and said i was making a huge mistake leaving. Want me to work one day a week until they find someone to replace me and ya seriously p1ssed at the 3 weeks. Told me he wasnt accepting my resignation and he wanted me to think it over the weekend however i told him. my decision was final and that I would be taking the other job.

Was hauled back in again Monday and he said I was going to be bored sh1tless in my new job and beg for my job back and that he wants me to work cash in hand a few hours a week until they find someone. Also threatened to ring my new employer who are an agency and hire them just so he can bust my balls

I intend on working my 3 weeks and being professional throughout but once my contract is finished I'm done. I'm pretty sure they are going to try and screw me out of my weeks holiday pay but dont know know legally am I covered here. I know I'm going to be treated like sh1t until the day I go and I have felt sick every day this week when I was going into work and I'm really down over the whole thing.

Anyone been in a similar situation before?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Firstly, if the situation is making you ill, go on sick leave, you probably won't get paid for the three weeks you are off, but it may be better for your health.

Just be aware, holiday leave is at the discretion of your employer, they could make you work the 4 weeks and then, as you are terminating your employment, pay you for leave owed in your last pay check.

Sounds like he is upset at you leaving, you are not doing anything wrong so I wouldn't give it a second thought. Did they change work practices specifically to accommodate you?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

davo10 wrote: »
    Firstly, if the situation is making you ill, go on sick leave, you probably won't get paid for the three weeks you are off, but it may be better for your health.

Just be aware, holiday leave is at the discretion of your employer, they could make you work the 4 weeks and then, as you are terminating your employment, pay you for leave owed in your last pay check.

Sounds like he is upset at you leaving, you are not doing anything wrong so I wouldn't give it a second thought. Did they change work practices specifically to accommodate you?

He has reacted like this to people leaving in the past. He didn't do anything particularly to accommodate but I'm the only person in my organisation able to do my role.

I'm thinking of taking the last week sick if there is issue with the holiday pay. I've accepted I wont get paid for it at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

First off, you are clearly making the right decision. This "boss" seems like an right p***k so be safe knowing you will be out of there soon.

Just a couple more weeks and you will be free, come into work and do your job as normal if you can, you don't owe anything to them in terms of cash in hand work etc. It also would not be legal and you will probably have a clause in your new contract stating you cant work for a similar organisation in the same industry, so tell him to forget it.

The fact that they are treating you this way after what you have been through is just mean.

The day you walk of out that office for the last time will be one of the best feelings, trust me I have done it and it was great.

Just a couple more weeks...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭daheff

can you ask the new job to start sooner?

Tell the old boss where to go. Call in sick for the rest of your notice period (you don't need a drs note at all...just dont go claiming social welfare for the sick period).

Old boss sounds like a right clown. you made the right move leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

daheff wrote: »
    can you ask the new job to start sooner?

Tell the old boss where to go. Call in sick for the rest of your notice period (you don't need a drs note at all...just dont go claiming social welfare for the sick period).

Old boss sounds like a right clown. you made the right move leaving.

You could go to the doctor also and let him know of the stress you are under from them. He could write you a sick note for time off too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

An extra 10 grand?? Sounds like a pay rise outside most peoples expectations..

BarryD2 wrote: »
    An extra 10 grand?? Sounds like a pay rise outside most peoples expectations..

That was all talk from him to spite me. Pretty sure I would never have got that money if I turned round and said I'll stay

Anyway my mental health is worth much more than that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭scwazrh

So your Boss was good to you when you had personal issues and has now offered you a 10 grand pay rise but you still think he's treating you like sh*te.
    Wish i had a sh*t boss like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

The last 3 days he has been creeping up behind my desk and putting both his hands on my shoulders and getting into my personal space and saying to me

"You've changed your mind haven't you. You will change your mind. It would be very easy for your P45 to go missing"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Have your phone ready to record.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

I handed in my notice to my current employers on Friday. My contract has one months notice stipulated and I have 5 days holidays accrued so effectively I'm giving them 3 weeks. My employer has a reputation of treating people badly when you hand in your notice but it was worse than I thought

I lost 2 of my family in tragic circumstances 2 years ago and it was implied they treated me well and that I wasn't great the year after everything happened. Said I shafted them by handing in my notice as they had made a lot of changes in the organisation based on my role. Offered me an extra 10 grand and said i was making a huge mistake leaving. Want me to work one day a week until they find someone to replace me and ya seriously p1ssed at the 3 weeks. Told me he wasnt accepting my resignation and he wanted me to think it over the weekend however i told him. my decision was final and that I would be taking the other job.

Was hauled back in again Monday and he said I was going to be bored sh1tless in my new job and beg for my job back and that he wants me to work cash in hand a few hours a week until they find someone. Also threatened to ring my new employer who are an agency and hire them just so he can bust my balls

I intend on working my 3 weeks and being professional throughout but once my contract is finished I'm done. I'm pretty sure they are going to try and screw me out of my weeks holiday pay but dont know know legally am I covered here. I know I'm going to be treated like sh1t until the day I go and I have felt sick every day this week when I was going into work and I'm really down over the whole thing.

Anyone been in a similar situation before?

What the actual f*ck OP? This guy sounds completely nuts and has crossed so many lines I'm surprised he hasn't tripped over himself.

You sound fairly young and a bit soft, these are the types of things bullys in power do to soft targets they know they will get away with. He is bullsh*tting - let him be mad, you're leaving, he can lump it. If anything it's now he needs to be super nice to you.

Call in sick, you have the new job, what's the problem? F*ck him, go and work somewhere that treats employees with some respect and has dignity. And try to stand up for yourself more.

Why would you allow someone to treat you like this? It's just a job. Get the f*ck out and never look back.

Elessar wrote: »
    What the actual f*ck OP? This guy sounds completely nuts and has crossed so many lines I'm surprised he hasn't tripped over himself.

You sound fairly young and a bit soft, these are the types of things bullys in power do to soft targets they know they will get away with. He is bullsh*tting - let him be mad, you're leaving, he can lump it. If anything it's now he needs to be super nice to you.

Call in sick, you have the new job, what's the problem? F*ck him, go and work somewhere that treats employees with some respect and has dignity. And try to stand up for yourself more.

Why would you allow someone to treat you like this? It's just a job. Get the f*ck out and never look back.

I'm in my late twenties. I'll readily admit I'm not assertive enough and do need to stand up for myself more

The only reason I haven't left is that I have good time for my colleagues and I don't want to leave them up sh1ts creek

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Twelve Bar Blues

I'm in my late twenties. I'll readily admit I'm not assertive enough and do need to stand up for myself more

The only reason I haven't left is that I have good time for my colleagues and I don't want to leave them up sh1ts creek

this sounds so like a situation my Mum was in.
    I know I'm biased, but she truly is and always has been a very good worker. Efficient, honest, and very dedicated to whatever job or task was put in front of her. And these good qualities were always appreciated and she was very lucky in working for and with people similar to her. Until she wasn't. And it was such a shock to her system, but she's stubborn and head strong and wouldn't be seen to give up. There was bullying, sneakiness; you name it and it happened. And when she finally left (and has ended up in a fabulous job again) the way she was treated during her notice was deplorable.
    If she met her ex-boss or colleagues on the street they would make a point of ignoring her.
    She regrets not leaving earlier.
    I would say to you get out of there asap. If it's a toxic atmosphere it will do you nothing but harm, and you want to start your new job in a positive state of mind. If you can afford it, go on sick leave, and get on with your life.
    GOOD LUCK!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

OP, The next time he says anything threatening or creepy just say "Listen, Ive handed in my notice and thats not going to change. You are making me very uncomfortable that you keep raising this topic"

If he continues to raise it then go to HR. Id probably even recommend you go to HR now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Got the only piece of useful advice from a manager before when handing in my notice for a job I hated. New job was starting as soon as possible.

He said 'Does it matter to you if you never come back to this sh**hole? If you won't come back then run for the hills'

Admittedly, it sounds like your job is a bit more professional but conduct yourself professionally and don't feel like you owe it to the company to help them out if they struggle to cope without you.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Toxic narcissist you work for, be glad to be well rid of him, the minute that door closes behind you he will be out of your life, onwards and upwards, sounds like a right dickhead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Don't stay for the money. I did thst once and thought it would make things better. It didn't. Handed in notice again 6 months later.

So finished up last Friday in the old job. I bit my tongue during my notice period and did a professional handover and the boss called me in on the last day and commended me, told me I'd be missed and said he knows he didnt make it easy for me. Closest I was going to get to an apology

I let rip in my exit interview with HR but she didn't write down half the stuff. I guess she realised the futility of the exercise!

Anyway enjoying my week off this week and looking forward to the new job next week!

• Advertisement
Advertisement