Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Degiro profit calculation

Options
  • 17-01-2018 4:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi guys,

I wanted to know how Degiro calculates the total profit shown on the website, they show me that my total profit is 20eu but it seems wrong becouse i have putted my numbers on another website and its like 60. I'm interested why is that, maybe some taxes are deducted? If i will sell my shares i will get the profit as it has to be? Thanks for the answers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Your profit is after buying, selling and any taxes like stamp duty in the uk/Irish markets or withholding tax for us markets have been paid.

You're probably not taking everything into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Rycka112

Thanks for proper guidance. I'm new at this platform and interested how it all works, I considered the us withholding tax and I think that it's right after that, but even I have filled w8-ben form they still calculating 30%? Thanks very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 giskard

I actually have the same problem, maths doesn't add up. Do you know if / how is it possible to get a proper breakdown of whats in there?

giskard wrote: »
    I actually have the same problem, maths doesn't add up. Do you know if / how is it possible to get a proper breakdown of whats in there?

The numbers always add up.

Why dont you post an example of what you are seeing and why you dont think they add up?

I bought 1 VANGUARD S&P 500 ETF at 236.22 USD and 5 of the same at 247.84 USD -- today (now) its at 255.88 USD -- my result 6.91 Euro

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I bought 1 VANGUARD S&P 500 ETF at 236.22 USD and 5 of the same at 247.84 USD -- today (now) its at 255.88 USD -- my result 6.91 Euro

You have to take into account the euro cost of when you bought and sold.

You have to take into account the euro cost of when you bought and sold.

I didn't sell..

Even taking in consideration the -2.50 deliro fee for the 2017 I should way be over 45$ -- 36 euro but im not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Yes, but what was the USD-EUR exchange rate on the days you purchased vs now?

That's what I've always assumed is the difference. The same way, on a given day, a share might have gone down slightly ("Day diff" percentage is red), but "Day result" might be a few euro higher (in green) or vice versa.

I didn't sell..

Even taking in consideration the -2.50 deliro fee for the 2017 I should way be over 45$ -- 36 euro but im not.

You're ignoring the exchange rates at the time you bought compared to the exchange rate you are being offered when you sell.

If you buy shares in a foreign currency and immediately sell them for the same price you will make a decent loss on the exchange rate alone.

As an example Degiro might allow you to buy shares in USD with a EURUSD rate of $1.21

So say you bought €500 that would give you $605

Then when you sell they will not give you inverse rate of 1/1.21. They will set a different rate such as 1/1.24. Which means your $605 = €487

This is the price difference between buying and selling and is the same regardless of where you exchange your money. Degiro, Bank of Ireland or some random foreign exchange office.

Taking the actual exchange rate if you bought €500 worth of shares on December 17th you would have gotten around $585 because the exchange rate then was 1.17.
    Say you sold them today with the exchange rate at 1.22 for the same price you would only get back €487

This is the risk of trading in a foreign currency. The exchange rate can dramatically affect your profit/loss.

Last year i traded in some stocks. The share price actually decreased but because the exchange rate changed in my favour I was still able to sell at a profit. Sometimes you win, Sometimes you lose.

Do you all agree guys that you are speculating? Without a breakdown you can't have anything better than speculation.

Again im not saying the number is wrong, point is I can't make an educated decision without a proper breakdown.

Am I losing in tax? in conversion? why suddenly is +14 when it was -2 a couple of hours ago? I would like to have data.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Do you all agree guys that you are speculating? Without a breakdown you can't have anything better than speculation.

Again im not saying the number is wrong, point is I can't make an educated decision without a proper breakdown.

Am I losing in tax? in conversion? why suddenly is +14 when it was -2 a couple of hours ago? I would like to have data.

You need to find out what the shares cost you in Euro when you bought them. Once you do that you can calculate your profit or loss accurately and see if degiro is correct. The sudden change could be due to exchange rate fluctuations

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭scheister

You need to find out what the shares cost you in Euro when you bought them. Once you do that you can calculate your profit or loss accurately and see if degiro is correct. The sudden change could be due to exchange rate fluctuations

It is not only an issue with exchange rates. I own shares in Ryanair so account and shares are same currency. Including costs they were €93 for my shares current value per Degiro is €99.27 bit it is only saying profit of €5.36.

scheister wrote: »
    It is not only an issue with exchange rates. I own shares in Ryanair so account and shares are same currency. Including costs they were €93 for my shares current value per Degiro is €99.27 bit it is only saying profit of €5.36.

And whats wrong with that?

Do me a favour and write it down:

Buy price?
    Buy fees?
    Stamp Duty on purchase?
    Sell price?
    Sell fees?

And whats wrong with that?

Do me a favour and write it down:

Buy price?
    Buy fees?
    Stamp Duty on purchase?
    Sell price?
    Sell fees?

Also, Degiro charge a fee for each exchange you have shares in every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Also, Degiro charge a fee for each exchange you have shares in every year.

That shouldn't affect the profit displayed as that it a charge that is taken from your cash account. As far as I am aware, the only thing that should affect the profit displayed is the exchange rate (if in a foreign currency) and possibly stamp duty for the RyanAir shares?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Without the specifics, it is very difficult for us here to help. As far as I can make out, my US based ETFs are showing the correct profit. If you feel that yours may be incorrect the contact Degiro for an explanation as to how they are calculating it.

As I said above, most charges are taken directly from your cash account and shouldn't come into the profit/loss calculation I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 investor123

I have the same problem, last year I deposited 5000, bought/sold some ETFs in USD.   Sold again and after all fees/loss on exchange rates I had 4,915.10 in my account.   Withdrew that, so now my Degiro account has a zero balance and no portfolio.
    My loss is still changing daily, currently -892.12, I've asked them to explain this but they just said because of exchange rates.
    They ignored my question about why the loss figure is still changing even though I've nothing in my account.
    Also I made a loss of 84.90 (total deposit - total withdrawal), so I dont see how that increased to -892.12 on their website

To add to the confusion, I have this right now (18/01/2018 - 23:07):

CRH (on IRL Stock Exchange!):
    Day result: EUR -9.89
    Day diff: 0.16%

Very strange!!!

I think I saw this before and that it was because one of the figures gets reset at midnight CET, while the other is reset at midnight GMT. Will check again after midnight GMT to see what it says.

To be honest, whoever design the Dashboard for DeGiro could do with a slap! It is far from intuitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

i have my own spreadsheet and it usually ties to the cent so i would say the degiro data is good. I have noticed sometimes they dont take dividends received into account though.

dotsman wrote: »
    To add to the confusion, I have this right now (18/01/2018 - 23:07):

CRH (on IRL Stock Exchange!):
    Day result: EUR -9.89

Very strange!!!

I think I saw this before and that it was because one of the figures gets reset at midnight CET, while the other is reset at midnight GMT. Will check again after midnight GMT to see what it says.

To be honest, whoever design the Dashboard for DeGiro could do with a slap! It is far from intuitive.
    This is correct now. After midnight GMT:
    Day result: EUR 1.50

No idea why they can't have both figures rest at the same time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭scheister

scheister wrote: »

I spotted the error in the above case. My spreadsheet that keep the costs on was excluding stamp duty in the total figure

Advertisement