Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

have you ever been fired?

Options
  • 17-01-2018 1:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭

It happened me twice, once from a construction firm, and once from a band.

I had been with the construction firm for about 6 months. Long story short, something went wrong on a job one day and the rest of the guys closed ranks and I got the blame. It was a bit of a dirty move but I didn't give a damn. I was working with another company within a few days.

The band episode had to do with a clash of personalities that I didn't realise at the time, they were a busy band but played very mainstream stuff. Im not into mainstream so I was a bit lack-luster in my attitude. A member of the band was not keen that I stayed on and the news was broken to me one night after a gig. I was a bit let down because I felt we had a friendship, but like the construction experience, I was with another band within a week.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Three times.

Sometimes happens when you decide to stand up for yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 23,675 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

No, curiously enough, now I think about it :confused:

I would have fired me, many, many, many times :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Yes.

Once on the very first day of the new job.

It was back in 1986. I was human cannonball for Duffys circus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭piplip87

Yes worked in a call centre. Fella slapped the back of my head messing. I turned around and told him to **** off..... Just as a call connected... Some craic all together. Was called in for a meeting with managers, heard the call just laughed. Needless to say the laugh more than likely cost me the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

yep, in a job that required a high standard of english, they couldnt stand the fact that i does has the best grammer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Unpossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I've also been fired 3 times, the crappy part is walking out and not saying goodbye to people as u don't feel like explaining what happened. Mine were generally my own fault, that last walk out is a bit weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Twice.

First time was when I reckoned the branch of a business where I worked could be run very much better if I could do things my way, so I asked the boss if I could buy it. A month later, she told me that my career objectives were no longer compatible with hers. A year later, I opened my own place just down the road ... :rolleyes:

The second time was on a construction site. I was employed as a translator by a UK company on behalf of their English subcontractors, as a condition of the French unions allowing cheap foreign labour to work on their precious soil. The Big Boss never believed there was any reason for me to be there, and one day I in to work to find him doing a site inspection and have him tell me that there were some Portugese guys on another team, one of whom spoke English and French so I wasn't needed any more.

What he didn't know is that I had become good buddies with the projects chief engineer, who had regularly given me the heads up regarding a malicious b4st4rd of the French union H&S inspector, and every Thursday I made sure that he got to see what he needed to see and didn't see what he didn't need to be bothered about, all cheerily wrapped up in typical Irish blarney. On the Thursday of that week, I said simply "it's been nice knowing you, sorry I won't see you again." Two weeks later, he shut the English operation down for working excessive hours: they were on piecework, so doing 60-hour weeks instead of the regulation 35. He wouldn't let them start up again until their weekly average had dropped to 35 - which delayed the project by 3 months and added about 100k to the cost. That was the summer I fell in love with Karma! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Greyfox wrote: »
    I've also been fired 3 times, the crappy part is walking out and not saying goodbye to people as u don't feel like explaining what happened. Mine were generally my own fault, that last walk out is a bit weird.

I didn't count the walk out option, I also did that twice. Once because the job clashed with gig dates, and the other because my boss tried to sell me a dodgy car which broke down right at the M50 toll bridge 20 minutes after me picking it up. Luckily I had told him I would square him for the car the next day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Haven't been fired thankfully.
    Closest thing to it was a mutual decision between my boss and I to call it a day.
    I had been working in a factory with two weeks and had been struggling to hit targets but I hated the place anyway.
    When I got called in for a meeting on my final day I was all excited because I was so keen to leave. He asked if I was given another week did I reckon I'd hit them and I told him no not really and that was that.
    Ended up in a great job not long after, going on fourteen months there currently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

If you don't count being made redundant then I've never been fired or quit a job. Everywhere I've worked has closed down.

Advertisement