Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everything Sucks! [Netflix]

Options
  • 16-01-2018 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43,811 ✭✭✭✭

Slight Freaks And Geeks vibes from this.. but let's not kid ourselves in that it'll be close to the genius of F&G.

A quirky, funny coming of age story that follows two groups of high school misfits, Everything Sucks! follows an A/V club and a Drama club who collide in 1996 Oregon. The series stars Peyton Kennedy (American Fable, The Captive) and Jahi Winston (The New Edition Story) as students Kate Messner and Luke O’Neil, with Patch Darragh (Sully, Boardwalk Empire) and Claudine Mboligikpelani Nako (Grimm) as their respective parents. The series also features Sydney Sweeney (“Emaline”), Elijah Stevenson (“Oliver”), Quinn Liebling (“Tyler”) and Rio Mangini (“McQuaid”).

Worth it for the Everclear in the trailer, who I always thought were cruelly underrated!

All episodes from February 16th.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

'Memba the 90s? I 'memba.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

'Memba the 90s? I 'memba.

438985.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well it had to happen eventually: all the rampant 80s nostalgia was only ever going to lead into the 90s variety, once it was obvious there was money to be made from it all.

I saw the trailer earlier, but it's only here with the press release above, that I know what the heck it's about. That trailer was just so horrible, aggressively nostalgic I think I'm just about done with this mass-wallowing phase of pop culture. Chiptunes and retro pixel-games are cute n' all, but enough is enough. To be fair, stuff like Stranger Things at least took its own path within the various 80s tropes & clichés, so maybe this show will do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,811 ✭✭✭✭Basq

If anything, the soundtrack will be worth it...

Enjoyed this for what it was.. some solid music (Pink Triangle by Weezer being a superb choice) and some very good performances from the leads. It won't change your life but it's worth a watch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Hadn't heard anything about this, spotted it on Netflix and watched it last night. I enjoyed it. Pity it's only 10 episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Watched it over the weekend, might not be life changing but it was certainly entertaining

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Only caught the first two episodes, and while the actual characters within are interesting, the ladling of 90s pop culture is pretty obnoxious. Every scene labours to show some 'whacky' gimmick or fad from the era; it makes for an interesting comparison with something like Stranger Things, the latter at least putting story and character first, without falling over itself to show some 80s fashion etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

Thought it was awful, probably the least clever way a show could do 90s nostalgia and imo it's too soon for 90s nostalgia anyway it's just a blatant attempt to capitalize on other nostalgia shows

• Registered Users Posts: 32,240 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I am 4 EPs in it's ok....the acting is a bit all over the place...the two from the drama club especially are useless!

• Advertisement

gmisk wrote: »
    I am 4 EPs in it's ok....the acting is a bit all over the place...the two from the drama club especially are useless!
    Yeah.. outside of the actors playing Kate and Luke, I found the majority of the performances to be amateur at best.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Is there anything at all worth a watch on Netflix?

Watched another episode of black mirror tonight, but, meh.

Someone suggested Narcos, but I'm unwilling to commit.

Any decent movies at all?

Basq wrote: »
    Yeah.. outside of the actors playing Kate and Luke, I found the majority of the performances to be amateur at best.
    Definitely agree on Kate she is a fantastic actress

Up to episode 7 it's really grown on me a lot since first couple of dodgy eps

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Finished watching this last week. I'd call it a sweet show. Not great, but quite sweet. The actors who play Luke & Kate do a great job, as do their parents. I loved the soundtrack as it took me right back, and I actually felt overtones of My So Called Life at times (although this is nowhere near as angsty).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,171 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Binged the first 8 episodes last night and will no doubt finish it up tonight. I really like it actually and the soundtrack is fantastic, if a little all over the place chronologically (Ace of Bass and Oasis featuring within the same few episodes - they were years apart!).

Am I the only one obsessed enough with Lego to get totally taken out of the story by the Saturn V rocket in the motel room(it was only released last year)?

Watched last episode the movie was fun! it was a really nice little series definitely grew on me as it went along, hopefully it does well enough to get a second series

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

First episode was a slog to get through, hard not to feel it's a just a cheap imitation of other, better shows trying to capitalise on the recent nostalgia trend.

But it does find its feet well enough and is very enjoyable....most of the acting is good except, most unfortunately, two of the three main friends are absolutely awful and way too two dimensional.

At least if it doesn't get a 2nd season, it's all wrapped up well enough that it doesn't really need one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

First episode was a slog to get through, hard not to feel it's a just a cheap imitation of other, better shows trying to capitalise on the recent nostalgia trend.

But it does find its feet well enough and is very enjoyable....most of the acting is good except, most unfortunately, two of the three main friends are absolutely awful and way too two dimensional.

At least if it doesn't get a 2nd season, it's all wrapped up well enough that it doesn't really need one.

Yeah was hoping they'd wiped out by a meteorite or something, but no such luck.

Cancelled!

http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/everything-sucks-canceled-netflix-1202746360

Unfortunate as it did improve as it went on.

• Advertisement

Aw that's a shame I thought it had plenty of places to go in a second series

Advertisement