Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time New build

Options
  • 16-01-2018 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi there,

I'm not great at writing structuring out essays on forums so bear with me thanks.
    Starting a new build in Meath hopefully this year planning permission has been accepted. I'm currently in the process of going through all the details. I'm looking for any prices or help on most steps. Ill list out what I've got so far and what I'm looking for.
    Some information on the house is its a 225m2 detached 2 storey house with 4 bedrooms upstairs and 3 bathrooms (1 en-suite) and a detached 50m2 garage.
    The planning permission has a Target U-Value of 0.12.

We are looking to save as much monthly/yearly costs as we can so would rather spend money up front and save over long term, than go cheap at the start and pay long term.

Structure/Insulation:
    I'm not too concerned about Structure/insulation as the father in law is looking after that side of things with full concrete including floors with triple glazing and thermal lining insulation in the cavities etc.

Heating:
    I've got a quote for the house with vertical ground source heat pump and UFH upstairs and downstairs they quoted me roughly €14000+vat not including fitting. Would this be a recommended system for this house. (One Concern is i work nights so I was told these systems are on constantly and I'm a bit weary about sleeping during the days in summer and it being too hot I was told the vertical can cool also though)

Plumbing:
    Currently trying to get quotes looking for someone who specializes in heat pump systems that can do the geothermal, UFH and waste and all the plumbing in one to save some money instead of getting multiple installers. Anyone any recommendations or rough estimates as to how much it might cost?

Waste:
    Got a price of €4100 all in including installation for a 8 man BAF Sewage treatment system. I'm not sure if we have the option to feed into a main waste line. Is this a recommended system or is their better alternatives?

Electricity:
    I've got the electric plans for the house already I'm just looking for a recommended electrician to install and or rough estimates on price.

Solar panels:
    The company I got the quote for the geothermal heat pump told me not to bother with solar panels for heating water as the heat pump is able to sufficiently handle it. So I was wondering could I power the heat pump with PV solar panels to cover the costs of running the heat pump so essentially it would be totally free (other than initial cost). I'm a little confused about how much power these solar panels can actually produce could I technically power the whole house with them or would that be asking too much? Is it even worth getting them?

To be honest I'm starting to feel I'm a little bit in over my head. Is there any big things i need to consider too that I have missed about.

Genuinely thanks for any advise people can give it would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

I’d recommend the search function there is a load of info in existing threads

I think each topic you raise above could be fleashed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Is the father in-law a registered builder or just a guy giving it a go? I wouldn’t trust any family member with the main structure unless they’ve all the certificates and insurances in place. If this part goes wrong you’re in massive trouble and can’t exactly sue the father in law. A father in law sounds like a person who’d say ‘sure it will be grand’ and ‘this is how we’ve always done it’. Him saving 10k now could cost you 300k over the build if it has to be knocked and rebuilt.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Eccentric Toast

Dudda wrote: »
    Is the father in-law a registered builder or just a guy giving it a go? I wouldn’t trust any family member with the main structure unless they’ve all the certificates and insurances in place. If this part goes wrong you’re in massive trouble and can’t exactly sue the father in law. A father in law sounds like a person who’d say ‘sure it will be grand’ and ‘this is how we’ve always done it’. Him saving 10k now could cost you 300k over the build if it has to be knocked and rebuilt.

Sorry should have been clearer he is in the trade so he is sorting who and what we need.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

We live in Cavan. Built our house in 2005/06, 350 Sq mts. Layout much the same as you are doing. We used an air aource heat pump. They were fairly new in the country at that stage. It seemed to work fine till the smow winters in 2010 and 2011. Thw firat year it broke down and was repaired, the second year it just died. Four nights ar -20c and we decided to get oil heating in. Even before oil prices dropped, we cut our heating costs by half. Then about four years ago, we installed a stove in the kitchen diner. It doesnt run the heating, just heats the room.
    Thats my long way of telling you I dont think much of heat pumps

Advertisement