Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this Jacket too warm for Irish winters?

Options
  • 16-01-2018 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭

I have quite a few decent waterproof jackets, and usually layer them with a fleece which is enough for too and from work in Dublin.

Ive found this winter particularly cold though, so looking for a good winter jacket.
    I was looking at this but wondering, will it be too warm for Ireland, even in the relatively cold patch we had this winter?

https://www.greatoutdoors.ie/shop/columbia-mens-powder-down-jacket

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,714 ✭✭✭✭listermint

tbh pointless buying those, i would have 1 'wind breaker type jacket' for the wet because its always wet here always. Then a fleece for internal. This can be used or not used depending on temp. Layers are better than 1 big fluffy coat.

I disagree with Listermint.

A fleece, any fleece, will never do what a good down jacket will do for you. Once you have a good down jacket, you will kick yourself for not having bought one earlier. Yes, they generally need to be kept dry but for general use out and about town, getting a bit damp isn't the end of the world.

I've Mountain Equipment holofil synthetic jackets (down alternative) and raingear, Montane extreme smock and down jackets, Berghaus down jacket, Buffalo smock, Fjällräven down parka and fleeces, Patagonia fleeces and Páramo smock type jackets to choose from. Suffice to say, I'm spoiled for choice.

Once winter has arrived, the down jackets are always the first pick. I have never once regretted it.

The absolute ideal is a 550-650 fill down jacket for insulation (in Ireland, generally speaking) and the option of putting a decent breathable waterproof over it on the days when it's just biting cold and wet. Whether you're waiting for a bus in a cutting wind, out walking the dog, watching floats for a bite or sauntering home from the pub late at night, not once will you end up kicking yourself for buying the down instead of the fleece.

I just got my Da a North Face McMurdo parka for Christmas. He always hated the idea of a bulky down jacket that would be 'useless' if it got wet. With a very durable waterproof outer fabric, warm goose down, lots of pockets and with the removable hood and the muted colour choice more fitting to a gentleman of his age (to whom, for some reason, looking like a high altitude mountaineer is not a positive), you'd have a hard time getting him to take it off now this winter. He loves it.

Don't wait as long as he did to buy down!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

+1 on the down jacket

Bought one this winter and by god it's like night and day.

I just went for a relatively inexpensive craighopper one which is also waterproof.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

+1 on the down jacket

Bought one this winter and by god it's like night and day.

I just went for a relatively inexpensive craighopper one which is also waterproof.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,942 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Got a North Face 600 fill down hooded jacket a few months ago and I love it. There is huge insulation / warmth from it for such a light weight jacket. It far exceeded my expectation this week too when I was wearing it and there was a bit of a down poor for about 10 minutes. I had thought it would get soaked and be instantly useless, but it didn't.

I have yet to take it up the mountains, but I have a goretex outer shell for wind / rain proofing and I'd say with the down jacket and just one base layer, it would be enough even for the coldest days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

250 euro jacket and the vid is a test in viet nam? Was it photo shoot or locals?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

8 years on I still have my first one. take the plunge op. You will not regret it. Its like having a big fluffy duvet, except you wear it. Some gob****es are going to say it looks like a lagging jacket but fcuk em and their superdried crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I suppose to answer the first question, it depends what you're using it for.

I rarely wear a Down jacket when hiking, even the light ones are too warm for me. I will pull on a down jacket when stopped. When hiking, something like a softshell layer or two, maybe a fleece and a waterproof shell over the top to keep the wind out does for most Irish conditions and is a more versatile system.

Around town - yeah a down jacket is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

hmmm wrote: »
    I suppose to answer the first question, it depends what you're using it for.

I rarely wear a Down jacket when hiking, even the light ones are too warm for me. I will pull on a down jacket when stopped. When hiking, something like a softshell layer or two, maybe a fleece and a waterproof shell over the top to keep the wind out does for most Irish conditions and is a more versatile system.

Around town - yeah a down jacket is great.
    I agree, it depends, like all outdoor clothing choices, on where you're using it and various very personal factors ....

In winter I usually wear a base layer, a thinnish fleece mid layer and on top my Paramo Alta II jacket. That's all I personally need in any Irish winter conditions while I'm on the move as I generate quite a bit of internal heat. If I have to stop for any length of time I have a Paramo overlayering down gilet that I put on over the top, and remove it as soon as I get moving.

Then again, I know other people who, in exactly the same weather conditions, have 3 or 4 thicker layers including a full fleece on underneath their jackets, and even a down jacket over the top, and they still feel cold.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

+1 on a down jacket, they are just amazing.

Though as others have said, they can be too warm while actively hiking. Though I always bring mine in the bag and throw it on when stopped.

Marino Wool base and mid layers are great too. That is what I'd wear while hiking under a rain jacket when needed and it still can get too warm! They can be useful for day to day use too under jeans, etc. when walking to work, without looking sporty.

Down jackets great around town too and I find them fine in normal Irish rain about town. Great for lightweight travel, on airplanes, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Enduro

Disclaimer: I'm sponsored gear by Columbia.

That's a great jacket. I love it. Gave mine to a workmate once I was finished with it, and he loves and and seems to be living in it this winter.

The layering points are good ones though, in terms of flexibility. It's the way I go when I'm actually out in the hills. I'd use the jacket in the OP as a "town" jacket.

One option to note that hasn't been mentioned so far. Columbia make a down jacket (about 600/700 loft IIRC) that has outdry (waterproof breatheable, much better than goretex IMO) outer layer. Tha makes it a down jacket you can use without the usual worries about keeping it dry. I've used it extreme weather race conditions, and it one of the most useful pieces of gear I have. Revolutiuonary really.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I recently picked up a Doc Marten branded Eider jacket (€36; a bargain of a lifetime.) and honest to God, who needs central heating when you have it to call upon. Now, it is too warm for a hard ass walk but it's amazing for regular wearing; ie your daily commute, taking the dog out, hitting town for the day, watching a match, winter photography and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

There are a few insulated jackets in my house
    Columbia
    Marmot
    Sherpa
    Mountain hardwear

Columbia would be the least preferred
    Fit is on the larger side and it’s rated 860 but coldest jacket if lit
    The mountain hardwear ghost whisperer is unreal warmth to weight ratio best of lot
    Marmot ama dablam is great value https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/1095345

The Sherpa though tops the lot for price performance

Try the Patagonia store in Dublin...another top brand and very stylish

• Registered Users Posts: 64,942 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Some good points there. I haven't taken my down jacket up on the mountains, but it could very well prove to be too hot. It's been great around town though and for taking the dog for a walk (over just a cotton t-shirt) in even the coldest of days this winter. And I agree, it's probably been the coldest winter in nearly a decade since those 2 very cold winters

I'm also a bit of a heat generator myself. Only a year or two ago, I hiked up Djouce on the second of January in just a merino wool t-shirt. Was perfectly comfy all the way up until I stopped at the summit. I still rarely wear a jacket even in January when I go out to do quick jobs in the garden, go to the shed, put the bins out, drive to the shop, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    The mountain hardwear ghost whisperer is unreal warmth to weight ratio best of lot

I got a ghost whisperer a few months ago and love it as well. It's ideal for hiking as it's not bulky and weighs next to nothing, packs up into its own pocket so takes up no space in your bag. They're too expensive if you buy 'em in store in ireland though so I'd only buy if you can get it on sale elsewhere. There are limited sizes on Sportpursuit at the moment for around £100 compared to €350 in some irish stores.

If OP wants one for around town though it could be a little light.

Advertisement