Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One day cycle across Ireland - June 16th

Options
  • 16-01-2018 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭

Anybody know anything about this? A mate's signed up and is trying to persuade me to join him, but I'm having difficulty finding any specifics (route, exact distance etc.)

What I do know is that it's from Citywest to Killaloe in aid of Pieta House and entry is the cost of a 1 day license if you don't already have one (though a donation is suggested). Signup is here on Eventbrite, and there's a Facebook page but as I say neither has much in the way of detail. Google puts it around 170km or so, but that'd be following mainly the old N7 from what I can see, which wouldn't be my first choice for a fun day in the saddle.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Cakewheels

Thanks for sharing this JMcL. I hadn't heard of it at all before but I'm interested. I'm just a little puzzled about how they can afford to do it for just any donation without a participation fee or minimum donation to ensure that costs are covered as that seems very unusual compared to any other fundraiser cycles. It's great that the full amount of the donation goes to Pieta House but I assume it means that all event costs must be covered from sponsorship or something?

Re your question about the route, this is linked from the facebook page. Is the old N7 very unpleasant even now that there's the motorway? I'm not very familiar with it, is there a big hard shoulder for much of it?

https://www.strava.com/routes/11467452

• Registered Users Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭JMcL

Cakewheels wrote: »
    Re your question about the route, this is linked from the facebook page. Is the old N7 very unpleasant even now that there's the motorway? I'm not very familiar with it, is there a big hard shoulder for much of it?

https://www.strava.com/routes/11467452

Ah thanks for that. I'm not on Facebook myself and as a result only got the bare minimum in content so didn't see the link to Strava.

I'd say the N7 isn't the worst if the former N9 is anything to go by. Though given the M7 is tolled, it probably has it's fair share of toll dodging HGVs. Like yourself, I did wonder about what was covering any logistics given all the donations are going straight to Pieta.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

"Coast to Coast" and it begins at CityWest? :confused:

Cakewheels wrote: »
    ... Is the old N7 very unpleasant even now that there's the motorway?...
    It's fine once past Naas Dual Carriageway. There's a hard shoulder along almost all of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

"Coast to Coast" and it begins at CityWest? :confused:

It's fine once past Naas Dual Carriageway. There's a hard shoulder along almost all of it.

Starts at Citywest and finishes on the Shannon, definitely stretching the Coast to Coast concept

The old N7 is as WA says fine and safe, but having gone down it last year it's quite open and exposed to the wind, depends on the day you get but you'll be heading directly into the prevailing wind

• Registered Users Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭JMcL

nilhg wrote: »
    Starts at Citywest and finishes on the Shannon, definitely stretching the Coast to Coast concept

I was thinking that myself! Also being point to point, there's no indication of how're you supposed to get back from B to A (where presumably you've left your means of getting to A for 8am on a Saturday in the first place) given both A and B are from a public transport perspective relatively speaking in the arse end of nowhere.
    The old N7 is as WA says fine and safe, but having gone down it last year it's quite open and exposed to the wind, depends on the day you get but you'll be heading directly into the prevailing wind

Eww... Just had a closer look at that Strava route - Citywest to Naas on the main N7, though I suppose it is kicking off at 8am on a Saturday morning, so probably quiet enough. Still, tempting to make the donation anyway, and pick a 200k Permanent audax route instead :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Yeah, Sandymount Strand to the Claddagh and I might be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,293 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Its the guy that organises the Stephen Roche Atlantic Challenge I think (just going on Facebook). Leaving aside it not being coast to coast, I think the point of it is to be a struggle into the wind, again going on Facebook. I'm still considering it - was thinking of doing it with the prevailing wind back on the Sunday!

Advertisement