Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SPHE & bereavement

Options
  • 16-01-2018 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

There has been a death of somebody who was known and admired by all the students in my class group. The kids want to talk about it and I think it might be a good idea to change this week's SPHE class (we'd probably need more than a class but anyway) to discuss this person's death and, perhaps, death in general (not sure about that, though). I'm conscious that I'd have to be very sensitive with this topic as there are additional other close deaths that some students might have experience of. But for most, this would be their first experience of the death of somebody they know.

Aside from being sensitive, would anybody have any advice on what approach to take, or what insightful resources might be beneficial? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Coping with loss and bereavement are topics on the SPHE syllabus and the new SPHE specification and you can certainly skip ahead to that topic or any other topic at any time.

However it sounds like this is a whole school issue. Your principal should be contacting NEPS who can offer additional support. All SPHE teachers should be liaising with your school counsellors and Chaplin if you have one.

It would be a good idea to contact rainbows also to set up a group in your school in the future or you can check on their website if there is already a group in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

In the context of the sudden death of a grandparent I remember hearing it might be beneficial for the student to write a note remembering some happy memories expressing the sadness of their loss and anything else they wanted to share with that person. It could be in the form of a letter/poem/picture whatever they wanted. In that context they were advised take the child to the grave and give them distance to express their work with the person. You could do this via meditation or some quiet time etc or collect them if students feel happy with that
    Even just learning the stages of grief might be beneficial to some to help them realise what they are experiencing is a process

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

It might be worth talking to NEPS.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,153 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I had a class once with a number of children from different cultures in it and we had some very helpful and interesting classes that happened after the death of one child's granny. The children from China, Poland, Romania etc. all described what they had seen in their original countries or what their parents had told them about traditions to do with death and burial/cremation etc.. I looked up some Irish rural traditions and we took it from there. More sociological than philosophical, but perhaps that 'distance' made it easier for them to take part.

Advertisement