Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commercial electrical work

Options
  • 16-01-2018 9:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I recently returned to Ireland after being away for years. I did my trade here in Ireland but served all my time in industrial automation. I got into commercial construction in north america and coming back here now looking to get into the commercial sector here. I am looking to gather information on trade practices here in the commercial electrical world. The physics is the same but the practices/materials quite different.

If anyone has a good information resource, or even better would be pictures, primarily focusing on commercial electrical work in ireland (steel stud installations, t-bar ceiling installations, conduit and trunking systems, mechanical rooms, concrete slab work)

I have done extensive homework to help make the transition easier, etci regs, wholesalers etc. but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Have you considered working for an industrial electrical contractor for a month or two and simply taking notes?
    There are plenty of opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Im sure the fas/solas course notes for phase 2 are online. Might help refresh the memory on trunking/conduit wiring type systems so on...

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭tweek84

DIT have information online for various phase of the electrical that might be of some help, other than that on site is where you will learn the most different contractors operate differently sometime "very differently"

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Training is all well and good so I’m not going to suggest that it is a waste of time. However in my opinion these courses are often out of date as those providing the training may not have been on site in a very long time. Whereas when on site not only do you get paid but you see how various electrical solutions are implemented in the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

+1 on the above advice. Spent 4 years at a night course, 4 months hands on with it, picked alot more practical info. Cant beat the "real world" experience.

• Advertisement

Tuco88 wrote: »
    +1 on the above advice. Spent 4 years at a night course, 4 months hands on with it, picked alot more practical info. Cant beat the "real world" experience.

I was that solider!
    I spent the entire 3rd year of my apprenticeship killing myself doing two additional (now discontinued) City & Guilds courses only to find that no employer was particularly interested in these qualifications. A bit of a waste of time :mad:

Advertisement