Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unsure of Career, not sure where I'm going.

Options
  • 15-01-2018 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭

Okay, so I asked the same question in the work & jobs forum. But I felt that i didn't receive much feedback. So I would like to try here.

My first course I completed was a Fetec level 5 hotel and catering course. As I liked cooking.

I decided I wasn't ready for college, so I completed a Fetec level 5 in Information technology. I enjoyed it, although I was pretty lost in the basic coding module. Which put me off slightly.

So I then decided that I would go to college and study culinary arts (cooking), so I went back to the cooking and completed 1st and 2nd year. I hated the type of work. Changed to a number restaurants and hotels and hated everyone. Dreaded, work on weekends. But I stuck at it to have money while I was in college and I then completed 3rd and 4th year. I graduated last May with a 2.2.

The reason that I stuck at it was to try to get out of the chefin' and maybe use my degree for something else. I got a job in a local hotel, working as a commis chef. Hated that too. I am currently, on sick leave as I became ill 7 weeks ago.

I aslo, covered shifts in server, kitchen porter, reception and accommodation and I hated all these positions as well. So one thing I am sure about, is that I am finished with this industry altogether.

So now I am in a position at 24 years old, where I have no idea what I want to do. :( Which is extremely disappointing.

I would be more academic that practical! So I'm trying to use this to influence my new career.

Just to add, I'd like my new career which provide me with opportunities to climb the ladder within the company. I am extremely ambitious, so this aspect in a job would be important to me.

I would like to hear any opinions or advice.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

We need more information to help you here. What lifestyle would you like - good hours, good money, etc what are your priorities? We all want all the perks but what are your main career must haves. Why did you hate cheffing (hours, working in high pressure environment, etc or something else as well?). What were your favourite subjects in school (you say you are academic so this may help guide you). What were your chosen subjects for leaving cert and what points did you get? Lots of questions but the more information you give the better advice we can give you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

We need more information to help you here. What lifestyle would you like - good hours, good money, etc what are your priorities? We all want all the perks but what are your main career must haves. Why did you hate cheffing (hours, working in high pressure environment, etc or something else as well?). What were your favourite subjects in school (you say you are academic so this may help guide you). What were your chosen subjects for leaving cert and what points did you get? Lots of questions but the more information you give the better advice we can give you.

Ok Thanks for the reply julie.

I guess that I would like to have work available all the year round. Chefin became very slack from September - April and this left me with very few hours during these months.

Things that I disliked about the cooking. The constant pressure, the hours I worked during the summer were unbelievable. I wasn't even been given proper rest periods between shifts. Starting at 10am, finishing at 12am and being back in the next morning for 7am. I extremely disliked the working conditions. The kitchen was consonantly hot and working the whole day on your feet.

I would love to have a 9-5 Monday to Friday job, with fair pay and the opportunity for promotion. if possible. I also like to be paid for the hours I work. I wouldn't be that interested in working on commission or dealing with customers/sales. I'd also have no interest in having a trade. That sort of then wouldn't interest me either.

Not having Perks like health care, bonus and pension wouldn't be necessary. But I , wouldn't say no to them either.

I done the leaving cert applied in school. I done the following subjects in school. Leisure & Recreation, Physical education, Art, CSPE and Home economics, Maths and communication. From memory, I can't really remember any of them standing out for me in School. I did enjoy doing research projects on the internet while I was in school.

I did like the computer course I previously done. But the I.T. sector is so big, I don't know where to start! I was also considering something like the Pharmaceutical industry and Banking. I am also kind of afraid of committing to one particular area and then finding myself back in this same position again.

Let me know if these answers are helpful. Thanks for the help. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

job seeker wrote: »
    I would love to have a 9-5 Monday to Friday job, with fair pay and the opportunity for promotion. if possible.

The Civil service sounds like a good fit, but your LC sounds like it may not be strong enough.

How about accounting technician, especially if you like maths. That could lead to an office job which may suit you. To progress you'd most likely not want to be a clock watcher, but if you get into something you like that may not be a major issue.

Or, how about social work? Not sure about the hours though.

I imagine some sort or retraining is going to be required.

Ok well pharmaceutical and banking are very different areas so what attracts you to those are I assume good hours, decent money, etc is it? Are either areas you have any experience or knowledge in? If not work experience would help you gain a greater insight. You said you are academic in your OP do you mean that as in you are book smart and interested in academic life (perhaps could go into lecturing in culinary arts) or just you do not like practical work? Would you enjoy home ec teaching or working as a baker which is a good line to go into if you do not mind an early start and will benefit from an early finish (doesn’t really meet your lifestyle wish list though). The benefit would be you are not in the same high pressure environment compared to cheffing for weddings etc and can work more at your own pace. I worked in kitchens when younger so have some experience in kitchen/cheffing environment. In addition working in kitchen in a factory/retirement home/college is a way to have the cheffing career in a more 9-5 format.

The Civil service sounds like a good fit, but your LC sounds like it may not be strong enough.

How about accounting technician, especially if you like maths. That could lead to an office job which may suit you. To progress you'd most likely not want to be a clock watcher, but if you get into something you like that may not be a major issue.

Or, how about social work? Not sure about the hours though.

I imagine some sort or retraining is going to be required.

Yeah, I did apply for some of the Campaigns. However, I Only got to like the second stage.

I would have to look into the accounting technician.

Do you mean like a career? What would that type of work involve? I really wouldn't have a problem doing a course to progress into any industry.

Thanks for your suggestions. :)

• Advertisement

Ok well pharmaceutical and banking are very different areas so what attracts you to those are I assume good hours, decent money, etc is it?

Yeah, that's it! I was speaking to someone who works in the Pharmaceutical industry and he worked in manufacturing and recommended it. The banking was just another idea I was bouncing around, if I;m been honest.
    Are either areas you have any experience or knowledge in? If not work experience would help you gain a greater insight. You said you are academic in your OP do you mean that as in you are book smart and interested in academic life (perhaps could go into lecturing in culinary arts) or just you do not like practical work?

I have no experience in either to be honest. I was considering looking to getting back into work soon and possibly, looking for a job in Abbott etc. just to have something to do while I was still exploring my options/choices. It's kinda boring not working.

Yeah, I enjoyed researching and doing assignments etc. I looked inter lecturing and that requires a masters. So that kinda put me off abit.

Would you enjoy home ec teaching or working as a baker which is a good line to go into if you do not mind an early start and will benefit from an early finish (doesn’t really meet your lifestyle wish list though). The benefit would be you are not in the same high pressure environment compared to cheffing for weddings etc and can work more at your own pace.

Again, Home ec. requires a further study. I can't remember what exactly is required.

Something like this. That would require another 4 years in education as far as I know.

http://www.stangelas.nuigalway.ie/Downloads/Prospective%20Students/Brochures/BAPME.pdf

I worked in kitchens when younger so have some experience in kitchen/cheffing environment. In addition working in kitchen in a factory/retirement home/college is a way to have the cheffing career in a more 9-5 format.

Yeah, I considered this as well. But I have kinda lost interest in cooking altogether. I used to like it as a hobby. But I have just lost interest in it now.

Thanks very much for the help though. This is fantastic, I feel that I am making progress now!

No problem. Everything you rule out is helpful and a step closer to what you want to do although it may seem frustrating at the time. Yes masters would be needed for lecturer at minimum and st Angela’s would be for home ec teaching. So you would probably prefer on the job training or shorter courses then by what you are saying? I know with banking you can do financial exams but they are difficult enough if you aren’t into further study they would be more along those lines. Pharmaceutical work (other than operator work in a factory) would mean further training also. As another poster said you can do accounting technician course and they can be done as PLC initially and built up incrementally; you could go all the way to training to become an accounting technician or even onto accountant by that route. Main thing to ask though is would you enjoy that work otherwise it will end up the same as cheffing and you want to avoid that second time around.

No problem. Everything you rule out is helpful and a step closer to what you want to do although it may seem frustrating at the time.

Thanks, That's very true. Sometimes I feel like pulling out my hair! :( The help from ye is very much appreciated though.
    Yes masters would be needed for lecturer at minimum and st Angela’s would be for home ec teaching.

The home ec. teaching is an interesting one. Something I was wondering was. If perhaps my current honours degree would count as anything? As in, Would it enable be to start in 2nd or 3rd year? As the holidays would be a real benefit. However, that may not be a good enough reason to get into something like teaching.
    So you would probably prefer on the job training or shorter courses then by what you are saying? I know with banking you can do financial exams but they are difficult enough if you aren’t into further study they would be more along those lines.

Yes, I see what you are saying. Perhaps banking isn't a great idea after all. I wouldn't be very good at maths.
    Pharmaceutical work (other than operator work in a factory) would mean further training also.

Apart from operator work, I wouldn't know much about it.
    As another poster said you can do accounting technician course and they can be done as PLC initially and built up incrementally; you could go all the way to training to become an accounting technician or even onto accountant by that route.

Oh, accounting. It just dawned on me now, that I done the in college as one of my modules in 3rd year. I found it very difficult.
    Main thing to ask though is would you enjoy that work otherwise it will end up the same as cheffing and you want to avoid that second time around.

That's exactly it. That's the last thing I want. I guess I have to imagine myself in each situation and make a firm decision on it then. It's funny, at 18, I was so sure I would have a career that I liked and my own house etc. Now at 24. None of this has happened yet. :o

The bottom line though, it looks like further study/exams are necessary, when looking for a career change..

Another two things that I am interested in are:

The Gardai : Now, I am not too sure if I can get into the guards, with L.C.A. I looked it up on the Gardai website and it would seem that L.C.A isn't recognised for this career. It's something that has always interested me though.

Driver tester for the RSA: I had applied for this, however one of the requirements was to hold your category B licence for 5 years and I have mine for 4 years and 10 months. It's also recommended that you have sales experience. Maybe I should just get this experience and apply for the next campaign?

EDIT: Just to add! I am finding this thread very refreshing! As this was something I was really worried about. So thanks very much to both of ye for helping me out! It's very much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Maybe have a look at https://www.innopharmalabs.com/edu/our-courses - while its not in your region per se it might point you in a certain direction or provide inspiration.

Have you considered going toward the Business Intelligence / Data Analysis / DBA (SQL) end of things?
    To my mind its not as 'small detail' as programming and you can do alot by learning some SQL and a program or two such as Qliksense or Microsoft Power BI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Escapees

Another two things that I am interested in are:

The Gardai : Now, I am not too sure if I can get into the guards, with L.C.A. I looked it up on the Gardai website and it would seem that L.C.A isn't recognised for this career. It's something that has always interested me though.

Driver tester for the RSA: I had applied for this, however one of the requirements was to hold your category B licence for 5 years and I have mine for 4 years and 10 months. It's also recommended that you have sales experience. Maybe I should just get this experience and apply for the next campaign?

EDIT: Just to add! I am finding this thread very refreshing! As this was something I was really worried about. So thanks very much to both of ye for helping me out! It's very much appreciated.

Had to smile to myself when reading about your cheffing experience! Been there and done that - it's really no way to live life long-term...

What stuck me though were your comments about being interested in the Gardai. This is significant as it is something you (and not us here!) have come up with. Deffo look into this further and double-check the facts about needing the standard LC to apply. Also worth talking to a guard about your interest - if you don't know any, chances are you know someone who knows one etc. But suss this one fully out...

Diceicle wrote: »
    Maybe have a look at https://www.innopharmalabs.com/edu/our-courses - while its not in your region per se it might point you in a certain direction or provide inspiration.

Have you considered going toward the Business Intelligence / Data Analysis / DBA (SQL) end of things?
    To my mind its not as 'small detail' as programming and you can do alot by learning some SQL and a program or two such as Qliksense or Microsoft Power BI.

I'll definitely look into that. Thanks very much for the info.

I wouldn't be the best at maths, so that kinda turned me off. However that's still something, to surely consider. Thanks.

Escapees wrote: »
    Had to smile to myself when reading about your cheffing experience! Been there and done that - it's really no way to live life long-term...

What stuck me though were your comments about being interested in the Gardai. This is significant as it is something you (and not us here!) have come up with. Deffo look into this further and double-check the facts about needing the standard LC to apply. Also worth talking to a guard about your interest - if you don't know any, chances are you know someone who knows one etc. But suss this one fully out...

Ah stop! I am amazed at people, who have worked up to higher chef positions and make a living from it, far play to them! But for me it's the worst experience of my life. Most of the time, you're not even treated as a human. As well as pay and other things that I've mentioned above.This attaude really has to change in this industry. It wouldn't happen in any other industrie. There is currently a shortage of chefs and I'm not at all surprised why. You have to experience it, to understand it.

Yeah that's something that would really interest me.. funny story.. I was rooting through old paper work of mine that day. I came across my results and I noticed that I've studied French and English in school. I never realised, that English and another language is acceptable. So this is why I never applied prior to this. But after a quick google on Garda website suggests that it is accepted. As for the l.c.a been accepted, this seems to be a grey area. So I'll have to look into this further.

I've an uncle who is a Sargent in the Gardai, so I'll give him a call one of the days soon.

Thanks for the reply..

Edit: from a different thread, by a member who is a Garda.
    No all you need is a D3 in Ordinary level Irish or a C3 in foundation...

What are the educational requirements?
    Candidates must have obtained in the Leaving Certificate:
    • A grade not lower than B3 at Foundation Level or D3 at another level in Mathematics, and
    • A qualifying grade in 2 languages, 1 of which must be English or Irish, as follows:
      English: a grade not lower that D3 at Ordinary Level
      Irish: a grade not lower than C3 at Foundation Level or D3 at another level
      Other language: a grade not lower than D3 at Ordinary Level, and
    • A grade not lower than D3 at Ordinary Level, in not less than 2 other subjects
    Or
    The Merit Grade in the Applied Leaving Certificate

I got a distinction - 85%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

However that's still something, to surly consider. Thanks.

Well, if you're going to take that attitude :P

Well, if you're going to take that attitude :P

Sorry I don't follow.. :o

I'm basically looking for ideas, so any suggestions are very much appreciated.

Edit: I get what you mean. Danm predictive texts. :(

Advertisement