Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Millbrook, Johnstown, Navan, Co. Meath.

Options
  • 15-01-2018 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

My daughter is in the process of buying an apartment in Millbrook, Johnstown, but as yet the contracts are not signed. It has come to our attention that all the residents paid a management fee in the region of €5,000.00 last year to undertake remedial works on the apartments which I might add is included in the purchase price of her apartment. However, it now seems that there are problems with four balconies which need to be repaired and once again the fees being required are in the approximate region of €5,000.00! The apartment she is buying is on the ground floor and has no balcony. Does anyone have any idea as to what is going on? We are aware that the residents are up in arms and are refusing to pay. Is there any further information? I would appreciate what help anyone can give. She loves the area and the apartment. She is a first time buyer and it was in her price range so she is worried and upset. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

Bernadine wrote: »
    My daughter is in the process of buying an apartment in Millbrook, Johnstown, but as yet the contracts are not signed. It has come to our attention that all the residents paid a management fee in the region of €5,000.00 last year to undertake remedial works on the apartments which I might add is included in the purchase price of her apartment. However, it now seems that there are problems with four balconies which need to be repaired and once again the fees being required are in the approximate region of €5,000.00! The apartment she is buying is on the ground floor and has no balcony. Does anyone have any idea as to what is going on? We are aware that the residents are up in arms and are refusing to pay. Is there any further information? I would appreciate what help anyone can give. She loves the area and the apartment. She is a first time buyer and it was in her price range so she is worried and upset. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thread carefully, I insure a lot of apartment blocks and i'd wager that the balcony issue is a water ingress one where the correct membrane was never installed. If this is the case the water ingress normally effects the apartment below the offending balcony no the actual apartment with access to the balcony.

The block insurers will try to walk away from any claim as the damage is normally ongoing for a long period of time of if they do pay, it will be subject to a high water damage excess which can range from €1,000 to €5,000 and even above in extreme cases.

Find out what the block insurance excesses are (although these can change yearly) and find out if the balcony above has undergone the required remedial work. If there are 4 balconies effected, I'd be shocked if all the balconies didn't have the same issue and they are probably just doing the repairs in phases with the worst ones first.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Bernadine

Many thanks for your advice. I will look into it further and later will update my post once I can establish the facts. It was very kind of you to reply. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Bernadine

funkyjebus wrote: »
    Thread carefully, I insure a lot of apartment blocks and i'd wager that the balcony issue is a water ingress one where the correct membrane was never installed. If this is the case the water ingress normally effects the apartment below the offending balcony no the actual apartment with access to the balcony.

The block insurers will try to walk away from any claim as the damage is normally ongoing for a long period of time of if they do pay, it will be subject to a high water damage excess which can range from €1,000 to €5,000 and even above in extreme cases.

Find out what the block insurance excesses are (although these can change yearly) and find out if the balcony above has undergone the required remedial work. If there are 4 balconies effected, I'd be shocked if all the balconies didn't have the same issue and they are probably just doing the repairs in phases with the worst ones first.

Once again sincere thanks for your reply. Following your advice she has pulled out of the purchase and is now buying elsewhere. Her solicitor was also concerned with what was going on but ultimately it had to be her decision. For the moment I think it might be advisable to steer clear of Millbrook until the whole sorry mess is resolved and the full truth be told. ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

Advertisement