Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital Timer for Heating

Options
  • 15-01-2018 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭

Hi,

Looking to upgrade the timer for the oil heating system. I've attached the picture of the current one

Any suggestions for me would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Mikebyrne wrote: »
    Hi,

Looking to upgrade the timer for the oil heating system. I've attached the picture of the current one

Any suggestions for me would be great!

Why not go the new modern way where the likes of nest, hive netatamo would suit perfectly.

Netatamo would be ideal for that set up and just run the live cable out of back of time clock.

I done this with exact same set up you have but was in a rental. I was able to control from phone or tablet and also the thermostat can be used also wherever you place it as it can be fixed or use batteries and place anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,648 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Why not go the new modern way where the likes of nest, hive netatamo would suit perfectly.

Netatamo would be ideal for that set up and just run the live cable out of back of time clock.

I done this with exact same set up you have but was in a rental. I was able to control from phone or tablet and also the thermostat can be used also wherever you place it as it can be fixed or use batteries and place anywhere.

Why run live out from the time clock. his clock is just powering the socket below. technically just get rid of the time clock surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Mikebyrne

How do you setup Netatmo? New to Thermostats to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 21,133 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Yes, that is just a timer. OP may not have a thermostat. Boiler just comes on and off, with it own internal thermostat.
    If the OP has no thermostat, he/she would be best to use a wireless one, which then links back to a hub, that's in place of that timer.

If there is a wired thermostat, eg in the kitchen, then replace that with a new mains one. One with remote control such as, the Netatmo.

Really interested in this, for two family homes, both similar to OP's set up. Both of ours have no thermostats.

I was looking at this sort of kit, to do it for me. Better options welcome.
    https://www.heatmisershop.co.uk/homekit-enabled-wireless-thermostat-heatmiser-neoair-kit-gen-2-platinum-silver/

Water John wrote: »
    Yes, that is just a timer. OP may not have a thermostat. Boiler just comes on and off, with it own internal thermostat.
    If the OP has no thermostat, he/she would be best to use a wireless one, which then links back to a hub, that's in place of that timer.

If there is a wired thermostat, eg in the kitchen, then replace that with a new mains one. One with remote control such as, the Netatmo.

Really interested in this, for two family homes, both similar to OP's set up. Both of ours have no thermostats.

I was looking at this sort of kit, to do it for me. Better options welcome.
    https://www.heatmisershop.co.uk/homekit-enabled-wireless-thermostat-heatmiser-neoair-kit-gen-2-platinum-silver/

Yeah, my current setup is just a timer which turns the outside boiler on/off

I've no Thermostat

• Advertisement

The reason I said run out from original timer is it can be used to override and keep off if needed.

Netatamo worked perfect for me as there was only one zone like yours and no set up for separate water heating.

Heating came on it heated radiator and cylinder.

I got the kit on offer at €99 which was a great deal.

Basically all you need is the live and neutral and away it will run.

Great to have and you have full control.

Need any help with choosing or even wiring up we can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

If you just want to change you clock and aren't sure about or ready for the full thermostat system , see my post here, it's a digital version of that exact clock.

I picked it up in my local wholesaler REW in Finglas but I think you can buy them on line. Simple enough to set up and link to your wifi . Set timers on your phone and turn your heating on and off while you are away from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,212 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Coincidence, i had the same timer as you , but today Energia installed a Netatmo free of charge , only one problem haven't a clue how to use it :pac:

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Coincidence, i had the same timer as you , but today Energia installed a Netatmo free of charge , only one problem haven't a clue how to use it :pac:

Set up the app and the thermostat has a plus and minus so press and see it go up or down.

Set up the app and the thermostat has a plus and minus so press and see it go up or down.

Do you have to go up + to turn it on and then all way down - to turn it off ?
    can you not just set a temperature say 19 permanently and just switch on and off ?
    not even sure what temp to set it too.

• Advertisement

Do you have to go up + to turn it on and then all way down - to turn it off ?
    can you not just set a temperature say 19 permanently and just switch on and off ?
    not even sure what temp to set it too.

Yes if you decide to do manually as such it will stay unless you have set up on app.

+ Will increase and - the other if you want a temperature set it to what you want and it will stay at that till you reduce....

If you go all the way down it turns off but it does have frost protection so very handy if house is left.

Try out the app it's very simple compared to others.

How did you get a free one?

Mikebyrne wrote: »
    How did you get a free one?

Well i signed to Energia from my previous supplier, this was offered free of charged and fit if i signed up with them , to be honest wasn't sure what it was, but as it was free, just need to get the hang of it, so use to walking into the utility room and just flipping the switch, looks like now i can do it from the armchair.

Nothing is free as they tend to put you on a higher rate to recoup the cost.

It is a great unit and very handy.

Saved me an absolute fortune on kerosene.

Googled, that looks really handy and simple. Maybe I missed but has it a brand name.

The rate was much better then my last provider or else i wouldn't have changed, the free Netatmo was just a bonus which i wasn't even bother about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Water John wrote: »
    Googled, that looks really handy and simple. Maybe I missed but has it a brand name.

The brand is Optimum and it's made by Grasslin. I've quickly googled it and this crowd in the UK sell alot of their stuff but I think any wholesaler would be able to source it for you.

http://www.tfc-group.co.uk/

The clock can switch mains voltage and volt free connections

Thanks Googled, found that. Looks really simple and looks what we need.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

I was offered a free Netatmo including install last Friday by energia and 25% discount on the electricity rate.
    Couldn't take it as still in contract until end of May and already have a Netatmo.

Advertisement