Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restating a ditch/whitethorn planting

Options
  • 15-01-2018 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi, I am reinstating a ditch/plugging poor spots on a ditch (where a double ditch has been cleared on one side).

I sowed approx 200m of white thorn last Dec/Jan and 90% has flourished.

About 20m overall hasn't throve (most under the shade of very mature trees (ash and oak) and another spot where the bank of the ditch is raised a few feet above ground/field level and as a result may not be getting much ground water and direct sunlight)

When I say hasnt throve: I had cut the quicks back to 6" after sowing and where the white thorn hasn't kicked on it has only sprouted may 3" or 4" of soft saplings. These did leaf but leaves went brown early. The other plants elsewhere sprouted 12" to 32" and can be cut back soon enough for new growth.

I have mentioned this to a few people as I am not sure whether to give up on the weaker quicks or give them more care this spring and summer (they are on an external ditch bounding a road so I do want the ditch to flourish and become stock proof)

Some are telling me that whitethorn does not grow in share (direct sunlight is needed -the areas in question are in a fair amount of share as they are under trees or on the north side of a ditch). They are also on a raised bank which is above ground level and may be getting drier quicker than the plants sown at ground level.

My questions are: I scraped the plants with my finger nail and they are not gone brown and are still green/white, does this indicate they can be rescued? Or have they taken a hit that will leave them poor growing?

I am not near a handy water source for the plants and If I have to water them every week in dry spells are there any tricks to ensure they take as much water as possible and to minimize run off?

Does anyone place credence in the "white thorn does not like shade" theory? Some one suggested holly or blackthorn would grow better in such spots?

I have FYM ready to go, and will put in time for watering!

A lot of questions I know! All help is appreciated.

Advertisement