Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online work from home jobs?

Options
  • 15-01-2018 10:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, I keep getting bombarded with all of these ad's from random people on facebook. I am in a number of local area groups and daily you have a new person firing up about "work from home" "earn cash" etc et

What are these about? has anyone contacted these people to find out? just wondering, I can of course contact them but just wanted to check here....

Is this a pyramid scheme? so you sign up and then you need to get X to sign up and make commision from them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Pretty much exactly as you described! I once replied to one of them to see what the catch was and they responded in a private message with:

"Thanks for inquiring about about this amazing opportunity and I'm pleased to share it with you!! Nu-Skin is a global skincare/health company and have lots of products - our best sellers would include teeth whitening toothpaste, mudmasks, green tea tabs, hair re-growth products, make up products... It is not a women only venture, there is men also onboard and doing fabulously well. It is all about persistance and drive to succeed!
    It's completely free to join
    ✅ 43% mark up on selling products
    ✅ Unlimited support
    ✅ An opportunity to change your current lifestyle
    Basically you would add yourself to as many buy and sell groups as possible and advertise there to gain customers! Customers pay retail price and we buy wholesale price - the difference is our earnings.. Obviously selling to family/friends is also very important in earning a solid wage. Once you know the ropes etc, there is an opportunity to progress up along and earn eventually a FULL TIME wage by having your own team.
    It's so simple to join us, I can give you my ID number and the link to sign up, you pop in a few details and message me once done!
    Then we can get you started and added to our Facebook support groups.
    You earn from the very first sale but also you can begin building your own team as soon or as later as you wish and then you earn commission on their sales from the outset! It really is a fabulous company to work for and the opportunities are endless as how far you can go!
    Fancy coming on board? X"

Avoid avoid avoid! Always sketchy in those groups when they say 'PM for details / price'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

haha, more or less sounded exactly as I thought it would......

Was just interested as the local area groups gets at least 2-3 of these advertisements per day. All saying you can make great money.....

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Qreq

If you'd like to understand more how these pyramid/multi-level marketing (MLM)/network marketing/direct-selling/referral marketing schemes scam people, this 30-minute John Oliver video explains it with some humour https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6MwGeOm8iI Penn & Teller also did an episode about this topic on their debunking series, "Bull****".

Don't be fooled by people who try to differentiate significantly between pyramids and MLMs. The only difference is that one uses a product or service and the other doesn't. They are both pyramid-shaped scams.

Basically:
    1) Give money to your "employer".
    2) Fail to sell enough products to make back the money you spent and the time invested in trying to sell.
    3) Fail to recruit enough people who recruit other people to fail to sell enough products to make a living.

1) You will be required to pay your "employer" or recruiter for products or services rather than them paying you.

2a) You will be encouraged to bother your family and friends (your network) to buy the products you bought. If you can't sell stuff, you may pay more money for a "learn how to sell" service/course/book/DVD/online links.

2b) You don't have a lot of people in your immediate network (or you don't want to bother them or you ruined the relationships when they realised you were trying to scam them or you successfully fooled them into buying from you), so you'll have bother strangers (which is why people are spamming you on social media).

3) Either immediately or later, you will be told that the real money is not in selling products, but rather in recruiting other people to sell. If you haven't already ruined relationships with family and friends, you may do it now by trying to recruit them to do the thing that didn't work well for you (selling products). Since these people likely have a similar network to you (similar relatives and friends), they may be even less successful than you were.

3b) You will be told that if you recruit X number of people, you will receive Y per cent of their profits and of the profits of anybody they recruit below them (this is the pyramid part). It doesn't matter if you are required to recruit only 2 people or 10, the pyramid becomes unsustainable quickly; see http://www.relativelyinteresting.com/pyramid-schemes-explained-and-why-they-are-a-scam/

List of MLMs (pyramid schemes): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_multi-level_marketing_companies
    You might recognise Avon, Kleeneze, and Herbalife from their operations in Ireland.

Advertisement