Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's good for the soul...

Options
  • 15-01-2018 12:51am

...so you do anything that's kinda...wholesome and enjoyable?

I don't mean drinking all night and partying, which might be good, but not exactly fulfilling. What do you do that really means something that's not vacuous and inane?

For me it's running trails and mountains. In company. You can't run through the mountains of West Cork and South Kerry and not feel good about it...

Painting, writing poetry, helping out in a soup kitchen...what makes you feel good about life?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Sailing, going out with my oh and his children, reading and enjoying some good music or tv

Oh and rugby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Meditation.

Once was sceptical, but it really does work if you practice it daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭poo poo

I fish - I get lost in woods and forests and walk on beaches and follow streams and rivers often for miles. Watercraft and nature instill a massive respect for ones surroundings and the beauty that is everywhere while instilling a hardened sense of conservation for all wildlife.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I'd agree Conor that being in the outdoors is good for the soul. I cringe at the oft used phrase 'at one with nature' but in the last few years I got into long walks and long distance leisure cycling and I don't think any other activity is more worthwhile for my general well-being.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

sometimes standing up for yourself and telling someone to f off can be great. building up emotion is bad. let it out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭qwerty ui op

I don't mean drinking all night and partying, which might be good, but not exactly fulfilling. What do you do that really means something that's not vacuous and inane?

For me it's running trails and mountains. In company. You can't run through the mountains of West Cork and South Kerry and not feel good about it...

Painting, writing poetry, helping out in a soup kitchen...what makes you feel good about life?

Show us a poem and we'll see if your any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Looking at the stars on a clear cool night. Puts things into perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Being organised and on top of things is good for you so you don't have to set the alarm for 2am disturbing your sleep and get up in the middle of the night to sort out work clothes! :/:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭worded

Sitting near a log fire in winter

A walk in the woods or nature

To rid the Jan blues A bank robbing rampage with a good friend as the get away driver, burns those extra few calories as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

worded wrote: »

To rid the Jan blues A bank robbing rampage with a good friend as the get away driver, burns those extra few calories as well

An adrenaline dump is a vice of mine. I love to sea kayak. It's akin to mountaineering; wilderness, self reliance, trophy paddles and on the edge (at least it often feels that way).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Running in mountains - let me count the ways I would not feel good about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

Personally, I’ve found drinking green tea with a pinch of cinnamon to be a great release.

This, along with meditation, has really helped to control and limit stress in my life recently!

Another great way of doing something that’s stress relieving but also kind of soul-nourishing is running. Just you, your runners and the road beneath your feet. One of the things I disliked about living in Dublin City centre was that there was no where quiet to go for a brisk 30 minute jog. This is a stark contrast to the rural area where I come from where I can run for miles and miles and might not meet a car! The scenery makes it all the more enjoyable :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Cats, they remind us who is really in charge. Them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Murder… sweet, sweet murder! MUAHAAHAHHAAAA!!!

I have a girlfriend who loves doing that periodically. Like 3 or 4 times a year. She will put on a pack with a small tent and some minimalist requirements for survival and she will jog/run a mountain trail somewhere in Ireland.

I find Brazilian JuJitsu good for the body and mind. It is almost a philosophy and a way of mind as much as a combat form.

I also got given something I do not know the English name for. It is from China. It's this system of hanging pressure points that you surround yourself with and you do a form of Tai Chi where your fingers etc have to gently touch the pressure points during your "dance". Touch it too hard or not at all or out of sequence and it gives you an angry beep.

Its really frustrating sometimes but very fulfilling at other times. Like an all body electric ring game. And leaves you really in tune with your body and range and form and balance and so forth.

Other than that I hunt and kill rabbit for food. Nothing more fulfilling that killing your own dinner :)

AllForIt wrote: »
    I'd agree Conor that being in the outdoors is good for the soul. I cringe at the oft used phrase 'at one with nature' but in the last few years I got into long walks and long distance leisure cycling and I don't think any other activity is more worthwhile for my general well-being.

The phrase is awful, but I fully understand the sentiment.
    _Dara_ wrote: »
    Running in mountains - let me count the ways I would not feel good about that.

It's not for everyone. Though a group of us did a run on New Year's Eve around Allihies and on to a wild and windswept Dursey Island off the far south west of Cork, all cliffs and abandoned houses, and I think it would convert even the most hardened cynic!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Baby sleeping through the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Decluttering your living space. Thereputic as f.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Getting out into nature

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Give something away for free, and don't tell anybody it was you - do this a few times and the true meaning of soul cleansing can be found.

• Advertisement

Meditation, affirmations, self-hypnosis.

I'm really enjoying taking photos of everything and then redoing them in Blender as 3D modeling with a twist. Being creative at something (without caring about money) is really helping me to feel positive on stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Bird-watching on the coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭js35

My autistic son sleeping for more than 20 hours a week :( so so tired all the time....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,809 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Spending your time trying to accumulate materialistic wealth and goods is a complete waste of time, and so to is working long hours trying to achieve that. Life's too short, don't put all that time and energy into feathering someone elses cap

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Making your bed when you get up.

A nice walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭spurshero

js35 wrote: »
    My autistic son sleeping for more than 20 hours a week :( so so tired all the time....

Can't be easy . Seen a programme a while back about parents with autistic kids . I know they don't want it but they have my sympathy .

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

A good strong coffee in one of my favourite coffee shops with a good friend. The kind of coffee where you go to leave and realise you've been there 2.5 hours and it felt like 30 mins.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Spending your time trying to accumulate materialistic wealth and goods is a complete waste of time, and so to is working long hours trying to achieve that.

Ah I remember meeting this goon who believed the exact opposite. That life was defined by accumulations and having more toys than the next guy. Last I heard of him though was he was running to china to produce his ice pops and chewing gums - before being chased by the Irish Taxman for tax dodging and owning all his firms through Malta and Isle of Man accounts. Wonder how many toys he sold off to pay off that little settlement :)

Of course we all find meaning in life where we have it. Those with lots of toys find it there. Those of us with bugger all find it elsewhere :) Once yer happy I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Either playing or listening to music, and painting.

I have tried self hypnosis from a few youtube videos and it really works, but you have to find the right one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

I play golf. I play it alone. The local club is two minutes away.

For me, there is no greater soul than being out on the course alone on the long stretch of a summer's evening.
    It is particularly heightened when I am playing well.

When you're hitting your shots where you want, hard and crisply, it's like a tuning fork going off in your soul, like heaven on earth if there is such a thing. You make impact, you implicitly know the ball is going where it needs to, and then you look up and seeing the ball streaking to your target all is well with the world.

Advertisement