Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people watch TV programs/events they hate?

Options
  • 14-01-2018 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,211 ✭✭✭✭

It's something I never really understand. Day in Day out people post tweets/comment on various social media sites about hating a program be it the stories/actors/etc.
    Most programs have a bad patch now and then and you might stop watching them but why do people continue to watch programs they despise especially when they have access to various channels/on demand services.
    They are certain programs I don't like and I simply don't watch them. We all slag off programs from time to time but why do people continue to watch stuff they hate?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Fair City, so bad that it's good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Fair City, so bad that it's good.

It's the best comedy on RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

It's something I never really understand. Day in Day out people post tweets/comment on various social media sites about hating a program be it the stories/actors/etc.
    Most programs have a bad patch now and then and you might stop watching them but why do people continue to watch programs they despise especially when they have access to various channels/on demand services.
    They are certain programs I don't like and I simply don't watch them. We all slag off programs from time to time but why do people continue to watch stuff they hate?

Looks like you answered your own question, they watch them because they can discuss how bad they are with other people on the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

There’s a group of people on the internet who seem to derive an immense sort of perverse pleasure from watching Tv shows they hate, listening to radio presenters they hate, viewing comedians they hate, reading pieces from journalists and newspapers they hate. They then comment on it in great detail on sites like this.

Some of them will for go any sort of other entertainment on a Saturday night for example, by watching Ray Darcy and posting about it here in real time as it happens. See also: LLS, Liveline, Louise O’Neill articles. This stuff goes far beyond mere criticism into this type of sneering and world weary cynicism and dislike.

They being angry, useless, lonely, and miserable auld cranks is what I think they must be. The internet has given them a platform they wouldn’t have otherwise. You should pity them in a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,490 ✭✭✭brevity

Because they're morons?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭qwerty ui op

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    It's the best comedy on RTE.

watched 3 or 4 minutes of this the other night, before heading out. It was when they were all sitting around in a hostage situation and the guy had what looked like some kinda red starter gun.
    Are they actually trying to be funny? how it that anything more than something
    you could do yourself a home if you had a few friends round.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Because sometimes as social creatures, we share our accommodation, and people we share with, want to watch other stuff.

My wife watches things I have no real interest in but I don't mind it in the background while I read or browse the interweb. I can see it /hear it enough to form an opinion (that I was right not to like something) and proceed to explain to my wife why in detail. That's after I have finished my will and hidden the sharp objects and have the first two nines dialled into the phone.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

There’s a group of people on the internet who seem to derive an immense sort of perverse pleasure from watching Tv shows they hate, listening to radio presenters they hate, viewing comedians they hate, reading pieces from journalists and newspapers they hate. They then comment on it in great detail on sites like this.

Some of them will for go any sort of other entertainment on a Saturday night for example, by watching Ray Darcy and posting about it here in real time as it happens. See also: LLS, Liveline, Louise O’Neill articles. This stuff goes far beyond mere criticism into this type of sneering and world weary cynicism and dislike.

They being angry, useless, lonely, and miserable auld cranks is what I think they must be. The internet has given them a platform they wouldn’t have otherwise. You should pity them in a way.

....and then there are angry useless lonely miserable auld cranks who just go on sites like this to complain loudly about others having an opinion they don’t agree with.
    No opinion themselves actually, just don’t think others should be allowed to express themselves.
    And you should pity them in a way.

Advertisement