Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any love for vegetarian pizzas?

Options
  • 14-01-2018 9:15pm

For 15-20 years, pizzas were a boring nothingness of something to shove in and get filled. But for the last couple of years, I've been ordering vegetarian pizzas the odd time I have one.

I really enjoy them because it's like all those extras that you look for around the meat get doubled, and you can eat a fair whack without feeling too full after.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I like the fact that you can order a vegetarian pizza with all those doubled extras, and then add meat to make it extra tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Used to live about a decade ago with a chap that would only buy vegetarian frozen pizzas. His argument was that the quality of the meat on you average pizza was crap and that if he wanted to have a meaty pizza he would add his own. In hindsight he was probably right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Any pizza is better than no pizza. That's my philosophy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

You feel the meat is what fills you up?

I don't think of veggie or non-veggie pizzas. Sometimes I want the Italian sausage, and sometimes I want olive and artichoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Meat feast all the way, baby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Vojera wrote: »
    Goodfellas dessert pizza is an abomination.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Archeron

Noveight wrote: »
    Meat feast all the way, baby.

With slices of white pudding added

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Goodfellas dessert pizza is an abomination.
    How dare you mention those and pizza in the same sentence? They're a crime against nature!

Malari wrote: »
    You feel the meat is what fills you up?

I don't think of veggie or non-veggie pizzas. Sometimes I want the Italian sausage, and sometimes I want olive and artichoke.

I know it's the base that's full of carbs that mostly makes you feel full, but from my experience, there's less oil and fat in a veggie pizza, and fewer calories, so the difference is easily the full pizza instead of 3/4s.

I love the salami sort of thing in a brown bread sandwich with fresh salad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

I love a simple mushroom pizza, with plenty of garlic and black pepper. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,673 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

How dare you mention those and pizza in the same sentence? They're a crime against nature!

I was about to say "I've never heard of those, I must try..." and then I read your post :o

I guess that's a no on the dessert pizzas then :pac:

No I never specifically go for the vegetarian option pizzas, prefer a bit of meat on my pizza, not a fan of pepperoni though, gives me indigestion, far too tangy!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Spot on. With the exception of any pineapple-laced abomination.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I know it's the base that's full of carbs that mostly makes you feel full, but from my experience, there's less oil and fat in a veggie pizza, and fewer calories, so the difference is easily the full pizza instead of 3/4s.

Yeah, maybe true with pepperoni. But cheese is probably a a lot of the fat content too.

As long as you're not having pizza once a week or anything, I'm sure it's not doing that much damage!

Malari wrote: »
    Yeah, maybe true with pepperoni. But cheese is probably a a lot of the fat content too.

As long as you're not having pizza once a week or anything, I'm sure it's not doing that much damage!

Girlfriend doesn't like it so it's a 3-4 times a year thing. I never crave it but it can be great if you've left off dinner for too long and fancy a feed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Yeah, I like a nice veggie pizza. If the tomato sauce is tasty and the base and cheese are nice, I don't miss the meat at all. Love a margherita. Also like mushrooms, sweetcorns and onions. Pineapple can obviously fuck off though.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭poo poo

You can have a great veggie pizza - You cannot have a vegan Pizza!!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

No to vegetarian anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,288 ✭✭✭AllForIt

No pizza can be called a pizza if it does't have pepperoni on it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Depends - homemade, yes. From a pizzeria, yes. Frozen - meh. There are very few nice frozen veggie pizzas out there. It's like there are no ideas other than margherita and goat's cheese and spinach.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

endacl wrote: »
    Spot on. With the exception of any pineapple-laced abomination.
    _Dara_ wrote: »
    Pineapple can obviously fuck off though.

/ponders how long a siteban should be for slagging off pineapple on pizzas...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Vegetarian set menu type pizzas are always terrible. They usually have some combination of sweet corn, pineapple, spinach or goat's cheese. It's as if the chef thinks "it's not meat so stick it on the veggie pizza." I usually build my own from a magherita base with onion, jalapeno, chilies, mushroom and a garlic drizzle.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Shenshen wrote: »
    Depends - homemade, yes. From a pizzeria, yes. Frozen - meh. There are very few nice frozen veggie pizzas out there. It's like there are no ideas other than margherita and goat's cheese and spinach.

Have you tried Aldi's Stonebaked Mediterranean Vegetable pizza? Nyom nyom! Not much cheese at all on it. I love meat, but I hate any meat on a pizza. These Aldi ones are soooo tasty :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

DBB wrote: »
    Have you tried Aldi's Stonebaked Mediterranean Vegetable pizza? Nyom nyom! Not much cheese at all on it. I love meat, but I hate any meat on a pizza. These Aldi ones are soooo tasty :)

Possibly, I have tried a few Mediterranean Vegetable ones. Unfortunately, the aubergines and courgettes tend to go very watery on those, I find.
    And I actually like cheese on pizza, I'd always rather more than less.

I've a couple of variations I do when I make homemade, so I'll stick to those :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Double pepperoni to reheat in the morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Zaph wrote: »
    /ponders how long a siteban should be for slagging off pineapple on pizzas...

Pizza.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Your ideas are intriguing to me and i wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

So long as there's no pesto. Especially on frozen pizzas - the cheap nasty tangy taste is disgusting. There are no decent frozen veggie pizzas in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭poo poo

Meat feast tho....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I beat my wife at dominos the other night.

She needs to learn that I choose the pizza toppings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Yes, love myself a bit of spaghetti on my pizza.

Advertisement