Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ETCI help please

Options
  • 14-01-2018 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Can anyone out there in the electrical trade show me where in the ETCI regulations it says that at neutral is 'required' at a switch box. I have heard it is common practice for years but have never seen a shred of proof and I have spent a lot of time trying to find it in the regs with no luck.
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Light switch ?
    It’s not required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Never was a regulation to have a neutral at a light switch.

In todays world its probably good practice to supply one. With new dimmers/stats and fancy switches with lighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭tweek84

I thought years ago that neutrals were not allowed to be at the switches??
    As above it is probably good practice now

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

tweek84 wrote: »
    I thought years ago that neutrals were not allowed to be at the switches??

I wouldn't agree.
    Think of a cooker switch, immersion switch or switched spur outlet for example. These normally have a neutral at the switch, even in very old installations.
    As above it is probably good practice now

It is rare enough to require a neutral at a light switch so personally I wouldn't bother wiring it.

I can remember lads saying that also about neutrals. It was never a reg in the 3rd yellow etci book anyway. It might have been an older reg when earths were rare at switchs also.

Hager supply a neutral terminal with there switches very handy.

• Advertisement

Tuco88 wrote: »
    I can remember lads saying that also about neutrals.

Saying what?

Not to have one at a light switch.

Tuco88 wrote: »
    I can remember lads saying that also about neutrals. It was never a reg in the 3rd yellow etci book anyway. It might have been an older reg when earths were rare at switchs also.

Hager supply a neutral terminal with there switches very handy.

I'll have a look at the regs over the weekend, I think it was brought up when i was doing the RECI testing course it was something along the lines that if a neutral was at a switch or required at a switch that it had to be connected to a fixed connector or a double pole switch long time ago now. The Hager switch would be handy in that instance.

@l.r.coulter A neutral is not required at a switch box a earth is required.

@2011 Thanks i ment that i thought neutrals were not allowed at 'light' switches.
    Alot of smart switches require neutrals nowadays if i was wiring for my own house i would use neutrals at a switch

@2011 Thanks i ment that i thought neutrals were not allowed at 'light' switches.

I see.
    I can't see why light switches should be treated any different to be honest.
    However obviously the switch box would have to have enough room to connect the neutral properly into a suitable terminal.
    Some plastic switch boxes are very shallow.
    Alot of smart switches require neutrals nowadays if i was wiring for my own house i would use neutrals at a switch

Really?
    I have only seen any that required a neutral and that was part of a fancy dimming system that would be considered pretty dated now.

I installed some of these (see below) fancy slightly smart dimmer switches in my house.
    The LEDs light up to indicate the set point, but it does not require a neutral.

5dac32f5067a2b0eef56158557bc27d0.jpg

Eaton,Belkin,Sonoff those three light switches require neutrals they are just some of the ones I have dealt with.
    I have used Knx , Leax as well but you are getting to a whole different level of smart switches which is major over kill for a house.

• Advertisement

Eaton,Belkin,Sonoff those three light switches require neutrals they are just some of the ones I have dealt with.
    I have used Knx , Leax as well but you are getting to a whole different level of smart switches which is major over kill for a house.

Fair point.

My personal preference is Philips Hue.
    This of course means no neutral required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭monseiur

Not wishing to hi jack this tread, but can I ask a quick question re. earth cable at light switches.
    Electrician is currently wiring an old house for me. Everything is surface - he is using all plastic/PVC conduit, pattress back boxes, etc. etc. To the best of my knowledge there is no where to connect earth cable to back box or light switch so what's the point of having an earth cable at light switch ? Perhaps a stupid question from a lay man !
    Thanks, M.

monseiur wrote: »
    Electrician is currently wiring an old house for me. Everything is surface - he is using all plastic/PVC conduit, pattress back boxes, etc. etc. To the best of my knowledge there is no where to connect earth cable to back box or light switch so what's the point of having an earth cable at light switch ?

The earth is important as switches may be changed for a metal switch at a later date. It is also a regulation that an earth is pulled to each switch regardless of whether it is plastic or not. To answer your question, the earth could simply be terminated into a connector. This is a cheap and simple solution.

Advertisement