Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A railway station "closer to Naas"

Options
  • 14-01-2018 8:31pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've noticed a few articles based a call from a councillor for a railway station to be built "closer to Naas".

But it turns out that closer the view of the councillor is between Naas and Caragh -- and that's further away from the bulk of Naas than the existing Sallins and Naas station. Added to that is that the road between Naas and Caragh isn't great and include a bridge with a single lane.

Am I wrong here or would a station between Naas and Caragh be of much benefit?

https://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/home/290644/new-rail-station-mooted-for-naas-area.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

How closer does he want? Sallins and naas is as close as can be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

More parking (if possible) and an improved shuttle service would be far more sensible,and would cost a lot less.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

It would be of minimal benefit as Sallins is to get a new relief road in the near future. Caragh may benefit somewhat from said road, as will Clane and it's hinterland. As the post above says, enhanced parking and buses to Naas/Sallins station is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,502 ✭✭✭✭L1011

At best it would provide for new housing development - and I'd expect developer contribution for the station unless we change to a different property tax system (higher LPT, no dev contributions like most of the world has - but would rightly piss off everyone who bought a house with dev contributions or old stamp duty)

A replacement of the Tullow line even as a stub isn't going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,692 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Never going to happen because Nass-Newbridge-Hazelhatch are now about 5 minutes apart. Building to serve that village less than 90 seconds from the existing station is madness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hugh Jampton

It would be of minimal benefit Sallins is to get a new relief road in the near future. Caragh may benefit somewhat from said road, as will Clane and it's hinterland. As the post above says, enhanced parking and buses to Naas/Sallins station is needed.

I agree with Losty (not for the first time). The Sallins relief road should deal with any access issues Caragh might have. A station at Caragh would not be anywhere nearer Naas than Sallins is. More parking and improved shuttle connections will give a bigger benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

What about a Greenway from Sallins to Tullow instead of a new station?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

Del.Monte wrote: »

It would be great but I'd imagine that much of the route is unavailable/built on/in agricultural use?The site of the station in Naas is now a Tesco.

Del.Monte wrote: »

Yeah, if enough cyclists use it, it will protect the alignment for future rail use, and loads of tired, hungry tourists will come to Baltinglass and Tullow.

Plus if Tescos gets demolished we will be healthier because we'll have to grow our own vegetables in allotments instead.

I'm joking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

monument wrote: »
    I've noticed a few articles based a call from a councillor for a railway station to be built "closer to Naas".

But it turns out that closer the view of the councillor is between Naas and Caragh -- and that's further away from the bulk of Naas than the existing Sallins and Naas station. Added to that is that the road between Naas and Caragh isn't great and include a bridge with a single lane.

Am I wrong here or would a station between Naas and Caragh be of much benefit?

https://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/home/290644/new-rail-station-mooted-for-naas-area.html
    My understanding is that there are different options floated for a proposed station.
    The most sensible one would incorporate a Regional Park and Ride and include a link to the M7 (possibly using the new Sallins By-Pass). Another option was to have a similar type of PnR station near the M7 west of Kildare Town which would siphon off traffic at this point.
    The station west of Sallins would more than likely be a replacement for the Sallins Village one - or have services not stopping at Sallins/Naas.
    The jury is out about whether it is a good idea, whether it has merits, or even if IR would consider it a runner.
    There are no plans to re-use the old alignment or similar to my knowledge.

• Advertisement

HonalD wrote: »
    My understanding is that there are different options floated for a proposed station.
    The most sensible one would incorporate a Regional Park and Ride and include a link to the M7 (possibly using the new Sallins By-Pass). Another option was to have a similar type of PnR station near the M7 west of Kildare Town which would siphon off traffic at this point.
    The station west of Sallins would more than likely be a replacement for the Sallins Village one - or have services not stopping at Sallins/Naas.
    The jury is out about whether it is a good idea, whether it has merits, or even if IR would consider it a runner.

Sorry but replacing Sallins and Naas is a honkingly bad idea. Seamie would want to seriously rethink that.

This sort of zero-sum thinking is the absolute bane of public transport planning in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

HonalD wrote: »

Sorry but replacing Sallins and Naas is a honkingly bad idea. Seamie would want to seriously rethink that.

This sort of zero-sum thinking is the absolute bane of public transport planning in Ireland.
    I'm not disagreeing, I'm just pointing it out as the thinking behind the "new" station is considering replacing the existing one.

Advertisement