Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toffifee - how have i only discovered these now???

Options
  • 14-01-2018 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭

Ok.. was at a party at xmas and there was a box of Toffifee of which I had one and OMG - so delicious.. but the Q is, I am in my late 30's, and a day cannot go by that I don't have some chocolate... so how on earth have I not had them till now???

I am not a lover of sweets (unless they are made of more chocolate than what ever else is in them); as in I don't like eclairs or toffee's or anything like that (too sweet and they stick to my teeth). So perhaps its the name of them that made me steer away from them "toff.."?..

I know that there is toffee (caramel) in them but thankfully not so much that I would class them as a "toffee" - its still tastes like a chocolate to me... i don't get an overpowering sweetness or stickiness from the caramel so toffee or not ... hmmm
    The caramel also tastes creamier than toffee - much for pleasant to eat.

Chocolate and nuts are a match made in heaven for me and so I think its the hazlenut chocolate filling that makes me love them so much.. so hmmmm.

Needless to say there is a stash in my possession now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,211 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

They have being around for the last decade or so. We got them in Aldi originally.
    They stock small trays of them in Dealz for €1.49 but they are €1.39 in Tesco!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Welcome to the club. The main difficulty I have is stopping my son eating them. We got the 3 tray box for Christmas and he started on the bottom tray and worked up. So while I was oblivious thinking of how clever I was getting the big box, he'd seen off the bottom two layers before I even knew.

He used to bring me them too, individually, there was me thinking he was being kind to his old dad. The devious little fecker.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

They have being around for the last decade or so.

Since 1973 :D
    (just not in Ireland)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭sporina

peasant wrote: »
    Since 1973 :D
    (just not in Ireland)

yes and I believe that they are German - or originated in Germany... so its no surprise that I like them as I like a lot of German Chocolate; they use nuts alot in their chocolate products.. thee most perfect combination when it comes to all things chocolate.. hmmm..

But if the name of them deterred me from buying them, ie the toffee part, there could be others like me. So imagine the craze if they changed the name of them - not to mention the packaging.. if they were in a small handy pack like mnm's etc, I would imagine that they would be even more popular - as even with the smallest pack as they are - they are not exactly handy..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I think the marketing wanted them seen as a cheaper alternative to pralines rather than expensive alternative to simple chocolates...hence the extensive packaging.

Actually that is one of the reasons why I don't buy them very often...the packaging waste is pretty brutal (back in the 70's as kids we thought it was pure luxury though)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I love toffifee so much. It would make my year if they came in handy packs of 5 or 6.... but I will eat the 12 on the few occasions I allow myself buy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭poo poo

Not a fan

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

They're awesome. I was stocking them up when I moved over from Germany.
    Thank god that's not necessary anymore:) The packaging is really a waste though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

That's the crap people pick up in the airport on the way home because they didn't get you a present while away.

Rotten ****e

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    That's the crap people pick up in the airport on the way home because they didn't get you a present while away.

Rotten ****e

Are you confusing them with Toblerone?

• Advertisement

oh,,,, tea time - no.. toffifee and tea time.. lol...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Shenshen wrote: »
    Are you confusing them with Toblerone?

No you get them for a few pence in spanish airports and the likes.

Toblerone is fukcing delish

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    No you get them for a few pence in spanish airports and the likes.

Toblerone is fukcing delish

Interesting....
    I've honestly never seen Toffifee in any airport so far, but I have had people bring me Tolerone as if it's something amazingly special. And I can't stand Toberlone, honey-flavoured chocolate - yuch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Toffee Bonbons are the standard by which all other sweets shall be judged.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Ever since I've been here my perception has been that they were the cheap alternative to something better. Maybe they're just stuck with this image now ? I love nuts + chocolate but I don't get these flavours from them myself : just cheap fudgy toffee. I never buy them. Mind, I'd probably eat them if they were lying around.

Have you ever tasted Rocher Suchard OP ? Now that. That makes me behave like the girls curling up with their choc on the ads. If we all demanded them in our supermarkets, they'd have to import them right ?

Ever since I've been here my perception has been that they were the cheap alternative to something better. Maybe they're just stuck with this image now ? I love nuts + chocolate but I don't get these flavours from them myself : just cheap fudgy toffee. I never buy them. Mind, I'd probably eat them if they were lying around.

Have you ever tasted Rocher Suchard OP ? Now that. That makes me behave like the girls curling up with their choc on the ads. If we all demanded them in our supermarkets, they'd have to import them right ?

no not had them...

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭poo poo

Prefer a rolo tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 8,288 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Toffifee - something irritating about that name. Besides that comment why is there an advert for toffiee allowed on AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

sporina wrote: »
    no not had them...

They are amazing : dark or milk choc with bits of hazelnut covering a center of beautiful hazelnutty chocolate at the perfect consistency. It holds its little domey shape, until you bite into it, then it ever so slightly melts as you eat it. Proper chocolate tasting, not just fat.

If you're ever headed to France, look for it at the chocolate aisle, usually sold as a "line" of individually wrapped bites.

https://www.bonbon-foliz.com/media/images-produits/mondelez/rocher-suchard-lait-bonbon-chocolat-6512.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

AllForIt wrote: »
    Toffifee - something irritating about that name. Besides that comment why is there an advert for toffiee allowed on AH.

Well there's so much fun in toffifee.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I clicked into this thread because I too was surprised by how amazingly delicious tofifees were when I first tasted them. I like sweets in general and Im not very fussy but none of them have that same addictive quality that tofifee have, I find it hard not to eat the entire box when they're open

AllForIt wrote: »

Because when i did a search for toffifee on boards, the AH forum was where they have been mentioned most in the past...

And you have contributed yourself about the name; so not sure why you are wondering why the "advert" (thread) is here!
    wakka12 wrote: »
    I clicked into this thread because I too was surprised by how amazingly delicious tofifees were when I first tasted them. I like sweets in general and Im not very fussy but none of them have that same addictive quality that tofifee have, I find it hard not to eat the entire box when they're open

i managed to just have 4 last night after dinner but then before brushing my teeth for bed i had a sneaky two.. lol..

Advertisement