Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is wrong with people

Options
  • 14-01-2018 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭

Sister rented out her house to a family for a few years there. Always treated them very well. When they left there was a good 4 grand worth of damage. Every sort of stuff. From what I understand broken boiler, radiators damaged, toilets broken, stuff left in the attic and garden etc.

Now she has the gall to look for her deposit back and involve the PRTB. She doesn't have a hope (a guy assessed it and put a figure on the damage done) but people continue to amaze me.
    What goes through people's heads.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

yeah but all landlords are bad people

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Happens a lot some people think that can do whatever they want when renting a property.

https://www.let.ie/articles/what-to-do-about-tenant-damages

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

When they left there was a good 4 grand worth of damage.

So she never performed regular checks on the property?
    Who was responsible for servicing the boiler ?

I'd be dragging them into a civil court, but if your sister didn't check the house at least once a year then she has to take partial responsibility for "neglect".

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭taylor3

Fascinating how people live. Some folks must be very heavy handed. I live in a house with 3 others. Hubby and 2 kids, here now 11 years and never ever had as much as a door handle been broken or a pain of glass. I mean how does someone actually break a toilet ? The mind boggles. But then again i truly believe when someone has a mortgage that they are paying for every month they learn to respect the property as not just a house but their home. Where i live you can tell the houses that are rented and the ones that are owner occupied just by looking at them, garden in bits, raggy excuse for curtains etc; tatty looking. I would hate to be a landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

LL would have made millions so what's 4 grand - think many tenants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭malinheader

My daughter and her partner rent a house off a landlord and they pay for all the repairs in the house themselves. They treat the house as if its there own. Unfortunately some people just have no respect for other peoples property. Why would you care about breaking something if you know you wont have to pay to replace it.

Advertisement