Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deer stripping my trees

Options
  • 14-01-2018 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭

To cut a long and depressing story short

Today I have noticed that the majority of my oak trees ,500 in total, have had their bark stripped. The trees were planted in a field that was been kept up for sheep after scanning so there is an.ocena of grass in the field but oh no these ****ing pricks have to go to each tree and strip all the bark.

Just wondering are there any products out there that can be mixed with water and sprayed onto trees, a product which would have a foul taste yet wouldn't actually damage the tree.

I have bout a few bottles of this product
    https://www.johnstowngardencentre.ie/p/grazers-animal-repellant---effective-against-rabbitspigeonsdeer/grazers

Any opinions on it or other suggestions would be appreciated.

The deer have stripped alot of bark about chest height but also have ringed the tree as the base, but I am thinking perhaps hares have also joined in. I have some tree guards which I will be putting on tomorrow and hopefully the product I bought will.come.soon.

Any other tips to keep the deer away? I will be going up to the area tomorrow before first light so hopefully they won't come during the night.

Going to go up now and stick up a bit of a scarecrow and to get some clothes out of the wash, hopefully provide a visual deterrent and the deer will pick up the smell

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,683 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Alot of lads looking for deer shooting around the country - that is probably your best bet. Putting an add in the boards hunting section will get you plenty of offers to sort this problem for free!!

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭timfromtang

JJayoo wrote: »
    To cut a long and depressing story short

Today I have noticed that the majority of my oak trees ,500 in total, have had their bark stripped. The trees were planted in a field that was been kept up for sheep after scanning so there is an.ocena of grass in the field but oh no these ****ing pricks have to go to each tree and strip all the bark.

Just wondering are there any products out there that can be mixed with water and sprayed onto trees, a product which would have a foul taste yet wouldn't actually damage the tree.

I have bout a few bottles of this product
    https://www.johnstowngardencentre.ie/p/grazers-animal-repellant---effective-against-rabbitspigeonsdeer/grazers

Any opinions on it or other suggestions would be appreciated.

The deer have stripped alot of bark about chest height but also have ringed the tree as the base, but I am thinking perhaps hares have also joined in. I have some tree guards which I will be putting on tomorrow and hopefully the product I bought will.come.soon.

Any other tips to keep the deer away? I will be going up to the area tomorrow before first light so hopefully they won't come during the night.

Going to go up now and stick up a bit of a scarecrow and to get some clothes out of the wash, hopefully provide a visual deterrent and the deer will pick up the smell

I've heard good reports about this technique for preventing deer and other herbivores from stripping bark
    details in the two links below.

https://permaculturenews.org/2014/06/05/bone-sauce-a-tool-for-deterring-browsing/
    http://windward.org/2.0/notes/2014/2014andrew01.htm

hope this helps
    tim

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Thanks for the info guys.

I think I have found another solution by mixing sand into emulsion and painting it onto the trees.

After checking the trees again today I believe that the majority of damage has been done by Hares, deer have definitely been in but I would guess 90% has been done by hares.

So the plan is

Paint the bottom 18 inches with paint/sand mix
    Attach 2 foot tree guard
    Spray on deterrent

So hopefully a 3.5 foot barrier and a chemical deterrent

Advertisement