Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is going through transition (SRS) uncommon in Ireland?

Options
  • 14-01-2018 7:30am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hey, I'm a 20yr old guy who has been having feelings of castration and GID (Gender Identity Disorder) since 14. I've attempted to castrate myself in the past with a few methods but the pain from the lack of anesthesia obviously made that impossible.

I was diagnosed with GID by a psychiatrist and himself along with my G.P. said that when I turned up 18, I can proceed either with transition surgery and/or hormones.

I'd like to begin but unfortunately don't have the cash. My parents are quite transphobic from what I can gather. My mother said when I told her at first that she'd "rather die of cancer" than see me go through with it and "its just in my mind". Add that to the fact that she also said that she'd "be devastated" if I was gay doesn't really help. Father has shown much more covert but pretty obvious signs as well which mens any help from them is out of the question.

I'm seeing a new psychiatrist for depression but he seems to take a conservative approach and suggest I'd want kids in the future which I doubt so. My emotional desire to live testosterone free I believe triumphs any possible desire for children.

Back to the original question, I've not heard much about transgender people in Ireland. Maybe its most likely because I'm a loner and don't have a single friend since being dismissed from school a couple of years back but I really don't think I've heard much from anyone. What are the facts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,982 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I'm not sure what the question is really?

Are you looking for support? Or general information on trans people in Ireland?

TENI is a good place to start

www.teni.ie

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Like Joey said, TENI is a good place to start.

There are many more trans* people in Ireland than you think. You’re most definitely not alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I'm hoping to go the other way myself, but just a bit nervous actually saying it out loud to anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

I'm sorry... what's the question here? What do you identify as? It reads like you want to be a eunuch rather than transition to female. But perhaps you just haven't been very clear - which is understandable.

To the question of transitioning in Ireland: for hormones if you are going from female to male (estrogen to testosterone or vice versa), yes, you can - that's not a problem. Can be done private and with HSE. The HSE are a bit ****, but you'll get treated... eventually - just need to be referred by a suitable Psych to a treating hospital. But again, your post is really confusing, you say nothing about being female - just you want to be free of testosterone, so I don't know what you mean. Are you desiring to be recognised as a woman?

Sexual Reassignment Surgery (SRS) more appropriately referred to as Gender Reaffirming Surgery (GRS) is not readily available here... It is also not the be all and end all of what constitutes a transition. If you can't pay for GRS in another country, you can be put on a waiting list with the HSE (who will probably refer you to Germany or somewhere, at some unspecified point in the distant future) - so hopefully you have money for that or you're kinda ****ed...

Also, TENI have a good directory of health care providers and peer support groups on their site... but I wouldn't bother contacting them via email or anything - I found trying to contact them directly with questions was less than helpful - ****, in fact.

Well, good luck..

Advertisement