Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Courses C++, Lua, Python, Java

Options
  • 14-01-2018 5:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

I was supposed to be starting a C#, Java and VS course next week but it doesn't look like it will be started any time soon as it needs the numbers currently 15/20.

What I really want to learn is C++, Lua, Python and some Java for Music software development specifically. The C# is the only course I've seen, Dublin area. I was thinking I could do C# which has Java included and from learning that go on to learn C++ from online resources. But are there any C++ courses anywhere?

There is currently a few Java courses online eCollege, if the C# does not start I will probably do java and try to learn C++.

Just for the record I have very little coding knowledge at all "hello world" would be the the most iv'e done. I have been looking at source code familiarising myself with it. There is a book I want to get, trying to keep my eye out for a good price on it, I've been told it is pretty much the bible for DSP code and Audio Effects (Will Pirkle Designing Audio Effect Plug-Ins in C++)

I am a self thought musician and want to get into software development with music in mind. The software I use to make music has a SDK and requires C++, Lua, Python and Visual Studio knowledge. Lua and python would be easier to learn with C# knowledge and Java. The course which, needs numbers, has Visual Studio.

What would be the best thing to do though I'm still unsure if it would be bonkers learning C# when I should be learning C++, I hoped, if that course went ahead I could use what I learned and apply it to C++.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

No idea if it's any good, but, there's a Humble Bundle python book bundle thing on atm... https://www.humblebundle.com/books/python-by-packt-book-bundle

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Highcontrast1

activate the free 3 month pluralsight benefit
    loads of java courses on there to get you started.
    good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,974 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

If the SDK is a DLL you could probably learn python and use the SDK, python can call C and C++ code. Download python 2.7 and pyscripter (for windows only) the help call the python docs and had a good tutorial. You can run the code in pyscripter IDE or in it's own console window. Also lots of online tutorials I find these good https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW6TXMZ5Pq6yL6_k5NZ2e0Q
    https://www.tutorialspoint.com/

Also if you are in Dublin DLR library have workshops on coding from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

If the SDK is a DLL you could probably learn python and use the SDK, python can call C and C++ code. Download python 2.7 and pyscripter (for windows only) the help call the python docs and had a good tutorial. You can run the code in pyscripter IDE or in it's own console window. Also lots of online tutorials I find these good https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW6TXMZ5Pq6yL6_k5NZ2e0Q
    https://www.tutorialspoint.com/

Also if you are in Dublin DLR library have workshops on coding from time to time.

Cheers the SDK is a big package of tutorial files and examples. Knowledge in C++ is recommended in the documentation along with Lua and python 2.5 which is included with the download files. Visual studio is not included not sure how to get that last time I went to download it was saying I need a subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

There are loads of high-quality online courses:
    • Udemy has plenty of free courses on Python, Java, C++ and Lua, as well as loads of paid courses. Click on "Price" and select "Free".
    • ClassCentral has loads of university courses for free, and you can pay to get a formal qualification.
    • Coursera has loads of really good courses from top universities but I think you have to pay for many of them (you always have to pay for certification).
    • EdX also have courses from major universities, but they're free.
    • SoloLearn has a load of free courses
    • The individual Universities also have some free courses online, for example MIT.
    • aGupieWare is also a great site - it has even a proposed BSc in computer science based on free online classes.
    • Finally, don't forget YouTube - it has loads of tutorials on C++, Python, Java and [URL="https://www.youtube.com/results?search_que
      ry=lua+programming"]Lua[/URL].

These are just the ones I recommend at CoderDojo - there are many, many more resources on the web.

And I almost forgot to mention that VisualStudio Community Edition is free.

EDIT: I just realised that you're a beginner in coding. My advice would be to not even think about which programming language you might want to use - you have to learn how to program first. You have to learn to think in a programmer's problem-solving way. Look for courses in programming - pretty much all programming languages have the same basic constructs, evolved from C, so you want to understand what programming is rather than focusing on any particular language.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭14ned

But are there any C++ courses anywhere

You don't just need a C++ course, you need a C++ course in audio programming. So mastery of low latency programming techniques, the same skillset incidentally as high frequency trading.

I doubt such a course exists in Ireland. You'll need to go to London I am afraid.

If you really are a newbie, then some C++ books are a better approach. Work your way through them. Firstly, do not use any C++ book written before 2013. They'll refer to pre-C++11 which is almost a different language now.

Probably one of the better trainer books, and by Bjarne the inventor of C++ himself:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/C-Programming-Language-Bjarne-Stroustrup/dp/0321958322 (4th edition or newer only, don't bother with earlier editions)

If you find that too hard, https://www.amazon.co.uk/C-Primer-Stanley-B-Lippman/dp/0321714113 (5th edition) I am told is more hand holdy.

Niall

Thanks for the replies. I would be a beginner in the sense of never actually programming a full scale project from scratch using different pieces of code to work out how to make something. I have configured settings for midi devices which in a sense was a little like writing a program, I've programmed buttons, knobs and faders to control VST's parameters (mapping file).

The thing is I would only need to know some things and not be totally masterful with the language there is lots of source code available for audio. Say if what I wanted to make was a filter I would only need to know the code that would make a knob filter the audio in a sense and everything else involved in processing that, Not to make it sound simple, I know its not going to be that simple but just to make the point of streamlining what I need to know.

I don't want to make it difficult because I'll be overwhelmed with information when I start to learn. So what I plan on doing while learning is taking the relevant info I'd need to make projects work. I have lots of idea's about pieces of software for music. The software I'm using at the moment would not have these things available. I'll check out those links the way I see it you only actually know what level you are at when you try to swim in the deep end, I usually just wing it anyway! Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Army_of_One

Thanks for the replies. I would be a beginner in the sense of never actually programming a full scale project from scratch using different pieces of code to work out how to make something. I have configured settings for midi devices which in a sense was a little like writing a program, I've programmed buttons, knobs and faders to control VST's parameters (mapping file).

The thing is I would only need to know some things and not be totally masterful with the language there is lots of source code available for audio. Say if what I wanted to make was a filter I would only need to know the code that would make a knob filter the audio in a sense and everything else involved in processing that, Not to make it sound simple, I know its not going to be that simple but just to make the point of streamlining what I need to know.

I don't want to make it difficult because I'll be overwhelmed with information when I start to learn. So what I plan on doing while learning is taking the relevant info I'd need to make projects work. I have lots of idea's about pieces of software for music. The software I'm using at the moment would not have these things available. I'll check out those links the way I see it you only actually know what level you are at when you try to swim in the deep end, I usually just wing it anyway! Cheers.

I've listened to some of the music you've produced :) You know what your at ! Big step up to coding it. All the modulation etc is maths and so can be done by writing code but as 14ned stated above its a dark art :) and coding it is a big ask.

Started watching this playlist Seems good! The videos were in the "C++" link posted above saw the playlist on another site also. I will update the thread with Further info for anyone else looking for info. Found quiet a bit of info i'm still going through↓

There is also an open source software I've started to use a few months now, it is writen in C++ and javascript. This is where I am going to focus and try to accomplish writing an app for. It is called VCVrack if anyone is anyway musical I would recommend. It will be huge I dare say, it was only released in September and is getting very popular. It is an emulator of modular hardware. Anyone who is not musical but can write music apps this is a great place to get involved it is mostly open source, Some plug-ins are paid for the base software is purely open source and many 3rd party developers are also open source.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭14ned

Started watching this playlist Seems good! The videos were in the "C++" link posted above saw the playlist on another site also. I will update the thread with Further info for anyone else looking for info. Found quiet a bit of info i'm still going through

Better C++ training videos:

You may also wish to attend a training conference in C++ (or two). The closest to Ireland is the ACCU annual conference. Here is the kind of content you see there: https://conference.accu.org/2017/accu2017.html. Registration for the 2018 conference ought to start end of January.

Niall

• Advertisement

Just to update: Will be starting the C# course in the next couple of weeks, But started coding while I was waiting and going good amid the frustrations of learning C/C++ from scratch/reverse engineering from other open source code. Also got myself a great book and I'm Searching for a few more. The Audio Programming Book by Richard Boulanger. I would recommend!

Currently have a few devices written for that software I mentioned. With API changes have to rewrite parts going well. Its a rabbit hole though! Thanks for all the responses.

Advertisement