Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disability Allowance and sharing a house.

Options
  • 14-01-2018 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭

I receive disability allowance. So does a friend of mine. We both have our own houses that are privately rented on HAP scheme.

We are both thinking of moving into one of our houses to save on electric/fuel/rent/food costs. We both receive living alone allowance/fuel allowance/ and electric/phone allowance.

We are also both on HAP scheme for our rent payments.

Question is: How many of these benefits would we both lose or one of us lose if we share a house? We will not be cohabiting (We are not a couple).

Would either of us have our core disability payment reduced?

Grateful for any knowledgeable insight on this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

The Living Alone allowance would obviously go and I believe Household Benefits & Fuel Allowance are per household.

I don't think your core payment would be affected if the DSP are satisfied you're not cohabiting.

Your HAP limits would change to the sharing rate each of whatever your council is I assume, but are you sure one of you can move? You would have committed to two years when you first signed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

Thanks Booters.

Yes you are right about HAP but I should have said that the house I live in has failed the HAP inspection and there is some doubt that the Landlord can afford the cost of repairs/improvements so the tenancy will likely come to an end anyway and that is the main impetus for this.

It also seems that there is some doubt about fuel allowance if the beneficiary is not living alone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

Nomis21 wrote:
    It also seems that there is some doubt about fuel allowance if the beneficiary is not living alone?

As long as you're both eligible, one person in the household will get it.

Advertisement