Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail Low Fares

Options
  • 13-01-2018 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭

These tickets state that you can only travel on the selected service when you book online. Is that strictly enforced in reality?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Absolutely - unless you get one of the flexible fares. Otherwise people would just buy the cheapest fare and travel on a completely different train.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Once you have a valid ticket and there are enough seats for everyone do they really care? Don’t want to pay the extra if I don’t need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Gael23 wrote: »
    These tickets state that you can only travel on the selected service when you book online. Is that strictly enforced in reality?

100 euro fine + difference between paid and full fare ticket at booking office

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Once you have a valid ticket and there are enough seats for everyone do they really care? Don’t want to pay the extra if I don’t need to.

You don't have a valid ticket because the tickets in question are only valid for the service that they are booked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭caviardreams

And just to add, any time I have been on an intercity service in the past few years I have had my ticket checked during the journey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,692 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

You can pay a 15 euro surcharge to change ticket at the station before travel and as said yes its strictly enforced. You should book semi flex ticket which allows you travel on the service before/after the booked service and is only 1 or 2 euro extra however you assigned seat will not be valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

Yes because they are cheaper as they lack flexibility. You will have to pay a top up - its usually 10e

Advertisement