Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Horrible burnt taste from newly built SS coils

• 13-01-2018 8:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭

I got a roll of 26g 316 SS wire and I made a coil about a week ago. Since then I've been vaping it in tc mode no problem. Went to make another today and it went very badly. Tried building 3 different coils and kept getting horrible burnt taste off them.

So I would install the coil and dry burn gently in wattage mode to make sure the coil is glowing evenly and resistance wasn't changing. Then I wicked it and soaked it with juice. Finally when tank was put back together and filled with juice I changed to TC SS at a low temp and immediately getting pure burnt vapor. Not sure what I'm doing wrong? Can't remember exactly but I think I might have first tried the coils in wattage mode and then switched to TC SS but I thought that'd be okay because the resistance doesn't change when switching modes?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

Could the cotton be to tight ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Stealthirl wrote: »
    Could the cotton be to tight ?

I don't think so, I've wicked similar non ss coils before the same way. I think maybe the problem is from dry burning in wattage mode on one mod and then switching to a different mod for TC mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jonski

I don't think so, I've wicked similar non ss coils before the same way. I think maybe the problem is from dry burning in wattage mode on one mod and then switching to a different mod for TC mode.

That would be unusual though , I would always dry burn/test fire on another mod or my 521 Tab . Is it definitely reading the resistance right ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I got a roll of 26g 316 SS wire and I made a coil about a week ago. Since then I've been vaping it in tc mode no problem. Went to make another today and it went very badly. Tried building 3 different coils and kept getting horrible burnt taste off them.

So I would install the coil and dry burn gently in wattage mode to make sure the coil is glowing evenly and resistance wasn't changing. Then I wicked it and soaked it with juice. Finally when tank was put back together and filled with juice I changed to TC SS at a low temp and immediately getting pure burnt vapor. Not sure what I'm doing wrong? Can't remember exactly but I think I might have first tried the coils in wattage mode and then switched to TC SS but I thought that'd be okay because the resistance doesn't change when switching modes?

Have you tried cleaning out the tank in hot water? Also, shouldn't SS be changing resistance slightly?

Venom wrote: »
    Have you tried cleaning out the tank in hot water? Also, shouldn't SS be changing resistance slightly?

I don't think it's the tank because I finally gave up and stuck in a 1ohm kanthal coil and it was fine. I'd say it is something to do with the resistance alright. I'll try again during the week anyway. I guess the main thing I'll do differently is let the coil cool right down after dry burning it in wattage mode

• Advertisement

I guess the main thing I'll do differently is let the coil cool right down after dry burning it in wattage mode

Always . The dry burning can raise the resistance by about 20 and it rarely seems to drop back down to the original measurement . If my Tab reads it at say 47 and I glow the coil it rises up to about 60/60+ and then drops back down to around 49/50 when cooled . Even if you blow on it you can see it dropping down . What mod are you using it on ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Don't really use SS myself but dry burning the coils at low wattage is vital to not destroying the coils.

I'm using an Eleaf invoke. I usually don't let the coil go past a dull red glow, maybe that was too much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭IRISH OS1R1S

I'm no expert and only recently started to use temperature control, but I glow the sh#t out of my stainless steel and haven't had an issue. Also using an Invoke for what it is worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

What SS wire are you using? Fancy giving TC a go myself too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭IRISH OS1R1S

TinCool wrote: »
    What SS wire are you using? Fancy giving TC a go myself too

Not sure if you are talking to me, but I use Iwodevape 316L 26 awg.

And I use GeekVape SS316L 26 awg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Cheers both. Must get some and see what all the fuss is about.

Advertisement