Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a battery shipped from Amazon UK

Options
  • 13-01-2018 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,648 ✭✭✭✭

Do Parcel Wizard accept battery deliveries or is it just Address Pal?

Can I sign up to Address Pal for a single delivery or need to pay for a few deliveries minimum?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

mrcheez wrote: »

Can I sign up to Address Pal for a single delivery or need to pay for a few deliveries minimum?

Got some Anker ones via Amazon uk, address's pall. No upfront payment for address pal just paid on collection in my post office ,would assume if delivered to another place you would need to pay upfront/have credi.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Addresspal do not take batteries, it is specifically called out on their list of prohibited items.

I know people will have gotten them using it but you are possibly making it sound to some people like the explicity have it listed as OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,648 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Ah right, so no way of getting a battery from Amazon UK then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

It's not 100%. It's worked for some, hasn't for others.

Personally, I wouldn't take the risk.

Also, in your original query, AddressPal is not a subscription service. You just pay when you get the package to your own address or the closest / most convenient post office.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

It’s hit and miss with addresspal, I have gotten batteries delivered before no problem but I have also had delivery refused because the order contained batteries.
    A lot of sellers now but a label on outside of packaging saying it contains batteries and if that happens addresspal won’t accept it.

• Advertisement

what is the battery. I have a chrome plugin that detects if things will send to ireland or not. These both do ship to Ireland.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-Eneloop-Rechargeable-BK-4MCCE-Batteries-White/dp/B00JVV8PS8/ref=sr_1_18?s=electronics&rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1516031747&sr=1-18&keywords=battery+single&refinements=p_76%3A419159031

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-Eneloop-Rechargeable-4BE-Batteries-Black/dp/B00JWC40JY/ref=sr_1_16?s=electronics&rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1516031747&sr=1-16&keywords=battery+single&refinements=p_76%3A419159031

They might have to put them in gigantic boxes or something. I saw a guying getting a delivery of a single coin battery in a huge box. The real problem is when loads are stacked together. This is why they will also ship things with in built batteries, like bluetooth speakers.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-Lithium-Ion-Battery-Compatible-System/dp/B00EF56M6W/ref=dp_ob_title_hi

Not sure you can get that in Ireland for that price

What's odd is that they have no problem posting the leaf blower which also comes with the same battery!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Got an Anker powerbank in November from Amazon using addressPal. It even had the big yellow lithium ion battery sticker on the box. No problems and it wasn’t mentioned to me when I picked it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I get lots off Amazon like phones, battery packs etc and each time the box has battery symbol and warning and an post normal delivery no issue and even drills with lithium ion to addresspal.

So again my question is, is there any official guaranteed way of getting a battery delivered from UK?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,947 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

So again my question is, is there any official guaranteed way of getting a battery delivered from UK?

No

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

What's odd is that they have no problem posting the leaf blower which also comes with the same battery!
    This is equivalent to the a large box theory I mentioned. They cannot have stacks of batteries, I think one faulty one can heat up and cause a chainreaction, so if the batterie is buried deep in a huge box inside a leaf blower then even if faulty it is less of a risk.
    You would just have to try different companies, it is on their head if it does not make it here.

Here is another amazon market place seller who will sell a similar battery as yours, it is higher capacity but much higher price.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ON01GEM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1T0PM98PJF63P&psc=1

No

Damn...guess I have to gamble it.

So from the sound of it, Parcel Wizard (whom I have an account with) stand just as much of a chance of delivering the battery as AddressPal.

Saves me opening another account.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Knockieranlady

Damn...guess I have to gamble it.

So from the sound of it, Parcel Wizard (whom I have an account with) stand just as much of a chance of delivering the battery as AddressPal.

Saves me opening another account.

I use Parcel Wizard regularly and have had batteries delivered several times with no problems. Last box of 7dayshop batteries delivered just before Christmas with the big yellow sticker stating batteries inside, no problem at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

An Post use airmail for all Ireland / UK - UK / Ireland packages.

It is international airline restrictions that are in play.

Dpd use road/sea, so there shouldn't be an issue.

Same with Amazon themselves - they trans-ship pallets and trucks to an post in Dublin via ferry, so restrictions are not the same.

I had to end up using AddressPal as Amazon wouldn't ship the battery to NI for Parcel Wizard.

Just been notified the battery is ready for pickup at my local post office, so for the record it appears to be fine getting batteries posted via AddressPal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I've bought tons of batteries from amazon, delivered to my house no problem whatsoever?
    We splashed out a couple of hundred on a whole range of rechargeable batteries for all the kids toys a couple of years back, best thing we ever done, cost of batteries was eating us out of house and home!
    Is this a new thing? Or is it down to the power rating or what?

I've bought tons of batteries from amazon, delivered to my house no problem whatsoever?
    We splashed out a couple of hundred on a whole range of rechargeable batteries for all the kids toys a couple of years back, best thing we ever done, cost of batteries was eating us out of house and home!

It's danger of explosion especially with lithium ion type.

I believe it was last year after they discovered ISIS or similar were planning to blow up planes with explosives inside batteries? Similar to the water bottle ban?

Or I could be completely wrong :D

I believe it was last year after they discovered ISIS or similar were planning to blow up planes with explosives inside batteries? Similar to the water bottle ban?

Or I could be completely wrong :D
    No, it's nothing to do with ISIS. It's just general restrictions on transporting lithium batteries by air for safety reasons. The restrictions are getting tighter ever year due to increasing number of incidents.

It's not impossible to ship them by air but the restrictions are impractical for some sellers/products/quantities etc. There's no issue transporting them via land/sea.

• Advertisement

I received my Amazon package of the Bosch battery ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-Lithium-Ion-Battery-Compatible-System/dp/B00EF56M6W/ ) but it didn't come with any packaging or documentation of any kind.

Just the raw battery loose in an Amazon envelope. In fact the package may have been opened as it fell out of the package when An Post handed it to me.

Has the "Li Ion Battery" sticker on the side.

Is this the norm for batteries to be shipped transparently like this?

I received my Amazon package of the Bosch battery ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-Lithium-Ion-Battery-Compatible-System/dp/B00EF56M6W/ ) but it didn't come with any packaging or documentation of any kind.

Just the raw battery loose in an Amazon envelope. In fact the package may have been opened as it fell out of the package when An Post handed it to me.

Has the "Li Ion Battery" sticker on the side.

It must have a warning label/sticker.

It must have a warning label/sticker.

No doesn't appear to have any sticker on there from An Post / Address Pal.

Just the Li Ion sticker as mentioned.

It's not out of the ordinary.

With some products Amazon would get a cardboard box full of loose or minimally-packed units (bulk packaging) rather than individual retail-packaged units. Takes up less space in their warehouse.

It's usually designated in the listing but not always.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Ordered ten 9v lithium metal batteries from Amazon last Thursday to AddressPal and delivered this morning to my local post office, complete with the large lithium metal battery warning sticker on the box.

So whatever they may have in their prohibited items list, they're clearly making no serious attempt at stopping carriage of parcels containing batteries.

Advertisement