Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

mooncoin or kilmacow pharmacy

  • 13-01-2018 2:42pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 11 ✭✭✭ zantac


    Hi everyone,
    do you think that will be better have a pharmacy in Mooncoin or in Kilmacow?
    please let me know
    zantac


Comments

  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Cabaal


    Suppose it depends on many factors,
    Iis there already one in either location?
    Does either location have a GP clinic?


  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭ looksee


    You are unlikely to find that Waterford city people have any great concern either way about Mooncoin and Kilmacow pharmacies :D


  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭ johnsparkexile


    looksee wrote: »
    You are unlikely to find that Waterford city people have any great concern either way about Mooncoin and Kilmacow pharmacies :D

    with the exception of the many ex Waterford City people living in those areas.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭ lassykk


    No pharmacy in either I'm afraid. There's a Mulligans pharmacy in piltown


  • Registered Users Posts: 11 ✭✭✭ zantac


    lassykk wrote: »
    No pharmacy in either I'm afraid. There's a Mulligans pharmacy in piltown

    New houses will be built in both villages and it is a shame that more that 1000 people have to drive till waterford


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭ molby


    Ferrbank is a 5 minute drive from Kilmacow and Mooncoin about 10. 1000 people is not going to be busy enough to keep a pharmacy going so I don't think you will see one in those palaces for quite some time or even ever.


  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Cabaal


    molby wrote: »
    Ferrbank is a 5 minute drive from Kilmacow and Mooncoin about 10. 1000 people is not going to be busy enough to keep a pharmacy going so I don't think you will see one in those palaces for quite some time or even ever.

    You'd be surprised, I live in a town of around 5k and it has 4 pharmacy's, it's also the surrounding area


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭ TheQuietFella


    Have we successfully extended the county border or am I missing something here?


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,990 longshanks


    The villages of North Waterford deserve a pharmacy of their own.


  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭ looksee


    As has already been asked, is there a doctor's surgery in either town? If people have to go into Waterford to a gp, they are rather more likely to use a pharmacy in the city.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭ lassykk


    looksee wrote: »
    As has already been asked, is there a doctor's surgery in either town? If people have to go into Waterford to a gp, they are rather more likely to use a pharmacy in the city.

    There's a doctors surgery in Kilmacow. Couldn't say what hours they operate as I don't use it and can't speak for mooncoin.

    Also, piltown is very close to mooncoin and not too far from Kilmacow either for a pharmacy. Alternatively, as mentioned ferrybank is close

    I do think it is a relevant discussion in this forum as the closest alternative would be Waterford city. I do appreciate it isn't a Waterford issue per se.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11 ✭✭✭ zantac


    lassykk wrote: »
    There's a doctors surgery in Kilmacow. Couldn't say what hours they operate as I don't use it and can't speak for mooncoin.

    Also, piltown is very close to mooncoin and not too far from Kilmacow either for a pharmacy. Alternatively, as mentioned ferrybank is close

    I do think it is a relevant discussion in this forum as the closest alternative would be Waterford city. I do appreciate it isn't a Waterford issue per se.

    So don't you consider a community pharmacy a helpful service in these villages?


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭ lassykk


    zantac wrote: »
    So don't you consider a community pharmacy a helpful service in these villages?

    There's lots of things I would like in Kilmacow but I appreciate given the size of the village it's not economically viable.

    It's a choice I willingly made when I chose to live here. It has some wonderful amenities not available in the village I grew up in (Slieverue)

    At any rate, in the countryside, a ten minute drive for a service (distance to ferrybank) is essentially on the doorstep.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭ thomasm


    Dungarvan has a population of 8,000 and 9 pharmacies !


  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭ uisce33


    There is a doctors surgery in Mooncoin don’t know about working hours as I don’t use it,but a pharmacy would be of benefit I believe.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭ shockwave


    How many pharmacys are in Tramore? its a much bigger area and there might be room for another one.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11 ✭✭✭ zantac


    7 pharmacy in Tramore


  • Registered Users Posts: 18 TPK


    zantac wrote: »
    7 pharmacy in Tramore

    4 Pharmacies in Tramore


  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭ Dunmoreroader


    I'm sure the likes of Mulligan's, Sam McCauley's and others have run the rule over these villages for potential new branches. If it was viable, they'd be open by now, the fact they aren't means it wasn't, whenever it becomes viable, they surely will.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭ julyjane


    The pharmacy in Piltown is right beside the doctors so that helps I'm sure. If it was even a few hundred yards away people might just get in their cars and collect their prescription elsewhere. The surgery is only open Monday to Friday mornings and the retail part of the pharmacy is tiny but it's been there a good few years now so it must be viable


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 ✭✭✭ zantac


    so do you think that is bad idea open a pharmacy in mooncoin to offer a service for all people that live in kilmacow mooncoin mullinavat polerone ecc...?


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭ lassykk


    zantac wrote: »
    so do you think that is bad idea open a pharmacy in mooncoin to offer a service for all people that live in kilmacow mooncoin mullinavat polerone ecc...?

    I think Mooncoin would be the best option from the villages you list as it is still a main national primary route and there would be passing traffic regardless.

    If you could get a location beside the doctors surgery in Mooncoin then I imagine you would do OK from that perspective.

    I would almost guarantee though that people from Kilmacow and Mullinavat will go to Waterford for their pharmacy needs as Mooncoin is out of the way. For example it would take me as long to go to Mooncoin to a pharmacy as it would to go to one in Waterford and I would be going to work/doing grocery shopping, etc in Waterford anyway.

    I'm guessing you are considering opening one and I hope your venture works out for you if you do decide to open one but I would recommend detailed market research rather than discussing here where you only get a small amount of people from the region contributing.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭ jimmyw


    There are two doctors surgeries in Mooncoin but they are not fulltime. I go into Waterford more often than in the local area. A Pharmacy might do fairly well though Id say.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11 ✭✭✭ zantac


    Do you know doctors name?


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭ lassykk


    zantac wrote: »
    Do you know doctors name?

    The Keogh practice have a surgery there but it only opens 2 hours a week

    http://www.thekeoghpractice.ie/location/mooncoin/

    Similar situation in Mullinavat where only open 1 hour a week

    http://www.thekeoghpractice.ie/location/mullinavat/

    Exceptionally short opening hours but I'm guessing that's all the demand is there

    There's a Doctor Enright in Mullinavat too but I don't know his opening times


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭ TheQuietFella


    Just out of idle curiosity, why is this in the Waterford forum?
    Have we annexed South Kilkenny?


  • Registered Users Posts: 11 ✭✭✭ zantac


    zantac wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    do you think that will be better have a pharmacy in Mooncoin or in Kilmacow?
    please let me know
    zantac
    Mistake


Advertisement