Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remote light switch options ?

Options
  • 13-01-2018 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭

We have a shomera in the garden with some nice lights built in externally , unfortunately you have to go into it to turn them on.

What options are there to make the lights remote or could I have a switch wired inside for them ?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Is it within wifi range of the house?

If yes, the maybe some sonoff switches could be wired in. Or depending on the light fittings, you could replace the bulbs with Philips Hue smart bulbs (or Ikea equivalents). Another option might be z-wave dimmers.

Sort of depends on a lot of things.

Wifi reception, bulb types, wiring, how comfortable you are in DIY wiring, etc.

Of course you could also get an electrician to wire a switch into your house. But might be a little costly and need digging.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Fibaro or other z wave switches perhaps ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

bk wrote: »
    Is it within wifi range of the house?

If yes, the maybe some sonoff switches could be wired in. Or depending on the light fittings, you could replace the bulbs with Philips Hue smart bulbs (or Ikea equivalents). Another option might be z-wave dimmers.

Sort of depends on a lot of things.

Wifi reception, bulb types, wiring, how comfortable you are in DIY wiring, etc.

Of course you could also get an electrician to wire a switch into your house. But might be a little costly and need digging.

The shomera is cat 6 wired back to patch panel in the house so covered on WiFi

The bulbs are I suppose could be changed maybe that’s the easier way to do this !

Cyrus wrote: »
    The shomera is cat 6 wired back to patch panel in the house so covered on WiFi

The bulbs are I suppose could be changed maybe that’s the easier way to do this !

Easiest way then it would seem would be Philips hue ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Cyrus wrote:

Do you need them to be smart?

You can have a wireless switch , the switch is powered by the kenetic energy of the guaranteed for 5 years, decent range on them you wire the receiver up above the light fitting , you can pair many switches to a light and up to four circuits per switch.

It's about 80 euro a set let me know if you are interested I'll get the name.

• Advertisement

Easiest way then it would seem would be Philips hue ?

Although, what distance is it

Stoner wrote: »
    Do you need them to be smart?

You can have a wireless switch , the switch is powered by the kenetic energy of the guaranteed for 5 years, decent range on them you wire the receiver up above the light fitting , you can pair many switches to a light and up to four circuits per switch.

It's about 80 euro a set let me know if you are interested I'll get the name.

Yes please but how do I wire that up? The lights are spots in the soffet and two up downs on the outside of the shomera

Although, what distance is it

10 metres or so

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Cyrus wrote:
    Yes please but how do I wire that up? The lights are spots in the soffet and two up downs on the outside of the shomera

Google eltako wireless dimmer

I'm most cases your lights need to be on all the time so normal switches are linked out or left on 24/7 this is the same with Philips hue.

These devices are cabled into the first light on the circuit and paired with a switch

You'd need a unit for each switching circuit, so one for the inside lights and another for the outside lights

Have a look at the help videos

Hue will do the job too but you need an expensive hue lamp in every fitting

Hue is great lots of features but this will allow you to use cheaper lamps and keep the lamps you have

Advertisement