Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Correcting for state exams

• 12-01-2018 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi,
    I am just wondering when one would expect to find out if they are correcting state exams?
    I applied before the date.
    I also tried to contact them about changing a detail on my application form and they said to email but they don't respond.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Just checked mine from last year. Going by my hotel booking, I must have had the letter in the first two weeks of March. I had corrected before though, I think we might be told first.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 shannongreen

God, March is late enough to find out! I also applied for Superintendent (which I am not expecting to get). I want education based jobs for the Summer, even just part of the Summer. I am a student teacher/substitute. I am correcting for both mock exams companies this year.
    Do you know if take home pay for exam correcting is better if you're on a low income? I only have the odd bit of subbing and have a medical card etc.

PS thanks for your response!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's still not a fortune for the amount of work involved, but without tax (or tax at a low rate) it won't be as bad as a full-time teacher with a couple of years experience.

Make sure you get your tax sorted with the mock companies before you start.

Yes, I am in the process of it! Have you experience correcting for either Examcraft or DEB? It will be my first year this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

My first year, I was appointed two weeks before conference. They found it difficult last year to find examiners OP so I think you will be successful. This year, I have already been appointed as you get a form with 'You have been appointed as written examiner for X'. Do you accept? Depending on where you are, you might also be successful for superintending so don't give up. The closing date was today, so they won't have started looking at them yet. Best of luck.

• Advertisement

Yes shannongreen, I have corrected for both the mock companies. PM me any questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

You say you are a student teacher/substitute - have you taught a full JC or LC course?

So you think it may be a while before I hear back from the SEC?

Yes I have. Both privately and this year in school I have 5th and 6th year students, as well as Juniors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Yes I have. Both privately and this year in school I have 5th and 6th year students, as well as Juniors.

Well done - best of luck.

• Advertisement

So you think it may be a while before I hear back from the SEC?

It will be - you won't hear about superintending until the last week of the school year - this is due to security - if appointed, you are given the details of the school you will be working in and contact details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

It will be - you won't hear about superintending until the last week of the school year - this is due to security - if appointed, you are given the details of the school you will be working in and contact details.

Is that why? Always just thought it was poor organisation in getting the letters out. It's so annoying as I have to book childcare in advance & have been caught out before when the placement changed and I got LC not JC so couldn't make it back before creche closed

They won't even tell you that you're superintending? I'd just like to know so I don't need to apply for other work!

Is that why? Always just thought it was poor organisation in getting the letters out. It's so annoying as I have to book childcare in advance & have been caught out before when the placement changed and I got LC not JC so couldn't make it back before creche closed

No definitely not bad organisation - the SEC are absolutely brilliant at keeping everything going - have always praised them - considering the amount of things (& people) they deal with. I'm just thinking again, someone else might say - I'm just thinking we may hear at the end of March if we have been unsuccessful. You get one week to ring the school you will be supervising though. Yeah LC is a pain - had it for four years and one year there was an extension for special centre - nearly six o'clock when I finished the first day with English. Got JC - it was absolutely brilliant!! Hopefully will get it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

No definitely not bad organisation - the SEC are absolutely brilliant at keeping everything going - have always praised them - considering the amount of things (& people) they deal with. I'm just thinking again, someone else might say - I'm just thinking we may hear at the end of March if we have been unsuccessful. You get one week to ring the school you will be supervising though. Yeah LC is a pain - had it for four years and one year there was an extension for special centre - nearly six o'clock when I finished the first day with English. Got JC - it was absolutely brilliant!! Hopefully will get it again.

I'd the extension that yr too!! It really made it unattractive. Barely broke even thst yr but I write it on form since I can't commit to LC because of the late timetable and childcare constraints and so far they've obliged or I've just been lucky.

Can they really afford to turn people down in March? Wasn't there a shortage last year? I really want to get the correcting job so fingers crossed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

1. Have you a pulse?
    2. Will you be residing in ROI for in June and July?
    3. Have you applied?

If the answer is yes to all Qs, I'd put money on it that you will be appointed this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Lindy17

Corrected last year.. despite the 'crises' and the big drive to recruit examiners I only got called up in May. I remember English teachers were called early as they needed to be trained on using the online correcting system. I've already received the offer to correct the same subject and level for 2018 exams since December last year- I'm currently contemplating it as financially I didn't feel like I saw a lot of money for the work involved!

Hi guys, I am currently correcting for both DEB and Examcraft and wondering about tax? I am registered as a substitute but I rarely make more than 50 quid a week, I won't make much in the next few months. I know I have to register Examcraft and I'm guessing I'll have to register DEB? I am a medical card holder and earn very little per year so obviously want to avoid emergency text etc. Anyone know how to go about this?

Hi guys, I am currently correcting for both DEB and Examcraft and wondering about tax? I am registered as a substitute but I rarely make more than 50 quid a week, I won't make much in the next few months. I know I have to register Examcraft and I'm guessing I'll have to register DEB? I am a medical card holder and earn very little per year so obviously want to avoid emergency text etc. Anyone know how to go about this?

Call into your local tax office
    OR
    Register on revenue.ie and open an account. I think they have to send you something by post to confirm it's you.
    Set up both DEB and Examcraft as new 'jobs' and once that is done you can allocate tax credits to them. You can call them and they will give you their employer numbers (or I think it's in your pack).
    If you don't register, they will tax you at a higher rate than you may need to and you will have to wait until 2019 to get it back.

If your income is very low, you may not end up paying tax at all.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice!
    I was thinking of ringing revenue and registering the jobs and just explaining that my income is very low...if I was taxed at 40% it wouldn't be worth it!

Thanks for the advice!
    I was thinking of ringing revenue and registering the jobs and just explaining that my income is very low...if I was taxed at 40% it wouldn't be worth it!

They still need you in the system.

I registered both of them there so hopefully that will be grand. Might be able to claim tax back at the end of the year, as I'll be under my tax credits I would imagine. Thanks again!

Advertisement