Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SEAI Grant for insulation

Options
  • 12-01-2018 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry if this isn't the place, not sure where to post it.

We were approved for a grant to get wall and attic insulation done 6 months ago, due to ongoing issues with the company (the work was started on time, but has only been completed this week!) the grant expires today.

I have been in touch with SEAI who have said I can send in documentation after the date with paperwork to submit an appeal, I said the BER still hasn't been completed due to the work just being finished and he told me if the BER is not done before the grant expires, the grant will be null and void.

Obviously I need a work around if possible, he says there is no extension available only late submission appeals but without a BER completed before the expiry date we can't even do that. We would have changed company but can't because they are the ones named on the grant application.

If we just let this go and reapply, in my wifes name for example would be able to work around it in that way assuming we get the company to play ball and change the work dates?

MOD NOTE Moving to BER
    NOTE TO MODS
    You might want to moderate the the sort of advice being asked for here.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,057 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

as a BER assessor, its impossible for us to do a final BER if the work is not completed.

SEAI know this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

The issue isn't that the work is complete it is surely that the BER assessor will be signing off on something at a date later than the grant approval expiry?

The work should have been completed some time ago, BER done, all relevant paperwork submitted. Due to circumstances we couldn't control (barring getting the team to come to the house at gunpoint or something and making them complete the work!) that date is now expired so the grant is expired. I can submit an appeal no problem but the gut from SEAI says if the BER is not done before the expiry date its going to be null and void anyway...

I have a feeling we may have to just swallow this which is driving me mad.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

The issue isn't that the work is complete it is surely that the BER assessor will be signing off on something at a date later than the grant approval expiry?

The work should have been completed some time ago, BER done, all relevant paperwork submitted. Due to circumstances we couldn't control (barring getting the team to come to the house at gunpoint or something and making them complete the work!) that date is now expired so the grant is expired. I can submit an appeal no problem but the gut from SEAI says if the BER is not done before the expiry date its going to be null and void anyway...

I have a feeling we may have to just swallow this which is driving me mad.
    Was the builder aware of the grant requirements?

Have you paid the builder?

Like I said already, this is impossible. A BER cannot be done on work not yet carried out.
    SEAI know this, and the guy who said it to you should have known right well that it's impossible.

Seems to me your only option is to reapply.

BryanF wrote: »
    Was the builder aware of the grant requirements?

Have you paid the builder?

Yeah the company was fully aware, haven't paid them yet as I am pretty certain I am not going to be paying them the full amount if it turns out I cannot recoup any of the money from the grant. If this was our fault that would be one thing but given the circumstance I don't really mind fighting them on this if need be.

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Like I said already, this is impossible. A BER cannot be done on work not yet carried out.
    SEAI know this, and the guy who said it to you should have known right well that it's impossible.

Seems to me your only option is to reapply.

I think you may have just misread the post.

The work is complete.

I think you may have just misread the post.

The work is complete.

My apologies!
    Yes I misunderstood.

In that case then an assessor might be willing to play with dates to ensure the date of the certification is before the grant expiry date.
    It doesn't really matter to them what the date of the assessment is.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,679 ✭✭✭✭listermint

As an aside. What was the price per square meter you are paying.just interested what the market is like these days

Advertisement